Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Lounge Access Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:21 am
Original Poster

New Lounge Access Policy?

I'm currently sitting at the UA Club in Phoenix and just an interesting conversation with the Agent. I checked in and asked him if he can switch from my TK to my MP number and he told me if he did so I would not be allowed in. When I explained to him that I've done this in ORD, MEX & LAX and probably others he told me he just took a class 2 days ago saying no club access if the FF number on your reservation doesn't match the FF program on which you have *G. Is this new policy? And is it just UA policy? I have certainly walked into UA Clubs before with a BP with my MP number and handed them my TK Elite card for access.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
So change it on your way out of the club instead of on your way in.. problem solved. They probably don't want to pay TK for your lounge access and ALSO give you miles. I'm sure someone has figured out that's a double expense.. at least in the mind of some accountant.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Acornragazzo
I'm currently sitting at the UA Club in Phoenix and just an interesting conversation with the Agent. I checked in and asked him if he can switch from my TK to my MP number and he told me if he did so I would not be allowed in. When I explained to him that I've done this in ORD, MEX & LAX and probably others he told me he just took a class 2 days ago saying no club access if the FF number on your reservation doesn't match the FF program on which you have *G. Is this new policy? And is it just UA policy? I have certainly walked into UA Clubs before with a BP with my MP number and handed them my TK Elite card for access.
That's silly. TK still gets charged - so what's the issue?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
They probably don't want to pay TK for your lounge access and ALSO give you miles.
Hmm? TK pays, not the other way around.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
I've never had this issue, I always have my MP number on the boarding pass and use my LH Hon/Star Gold card to enter. It is a bit of a pain for them, as they have to do some manual data entry to use the one program for entry and another in the record - that may be why you were told that.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jgreen1024
So change it on your way out of the club instead of on your way in.. problem solved. They probably don't want to pay TK for your lounge access and ALSO give you miles. I'm sure someone has figured out that's a double expense.. at least in the mind of some accountant.
I just change it online using the free Internet and don't have to deal with people. But I'm wondering if this is a new policy and/or UA specific as I've never seen this before. Could also have been the agent was making it up. That's why I use their free wifi to ask people more knowledgeable than I.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:42 am

I just change it online using the free Internet and don't have to deal with people. But I'm wondering if this is a new policy and/or UA specific as I've never seen this before. Could also have been the agent was making it up. That's why I use their free wifi to ask people more knowledgeable than I.
999,999 times out of 1,000,000, when folks come here to ask about whether something is really a new policy or just an agent making something up, the answer is the latter.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
The agent is technically right but the rule is honored mostly in the breach.

You are only supposed to get the benefits of the FF status entered on your reservation, but few agents actually bother to enforce.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrewwm

You are only supposed to get the benefits of the FF status entered on your reservation, but few agents actually bother to enforce.
That's not clearly denoted in any *A or UA website notice. It only requires presentation of the card and an onward boarding pass.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by andrewwm

People keep saying this like it's true with no support. It's a pet peeve of mine when people use "technically" to mean "as I understand things to be."
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
999,999 times out of 1,000,000, when folks come here to ask about whether something is really a new policy or just an agent making something up, the answer is the latter.
I fully agree with mgcsinc. And the UC club agents are the ones that in my experience are the least informed and most likely to just make rules up. I have asked for supervisor every time they've made up a rule. 4 out of 5 times, they don't bother to call a supervisor, and allow a "one-time exception" which is BS. When supervisors have been called, they've always had to explain to the agent what the rules are. It's disappointing they're so poorly trained.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I had this experience at MCO in February. The agent was particularly prickly about it.

Everywhere else, it's never been a problem (although it always seems to take forever to be processed at DEN).
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Maybe they are starting to actively crack down on the US domestic fliers who have *G through A3..
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by gailwynand
Maybe they are starting to actively crack down on the US domestic fliers who have *G through A3..
There's nothing to crack down on. If you have it, you have it. And you're entitled to access.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
People keep saying this like it's true with no support. It's a pet peeve of mine when people use "technically" to mean "as I understand things to be."
Indeed. "Technically" should be derived from an actual source/regulation/FAQ/etc and never personal opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.