Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone booked LH F awards recently?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by exbayern
But again, were you able to actually book them and receive a confirmation number? The UA website will take you all the way to the payment section, and when you 'pay' it then errors out and tells you to call an agent. The agent usually cannot make the booking either.

The premise of the thread is that one can 'see' the availability but one cannot usually 'book' it.
I've done it myself since 3/3 (booked on web and flown LH award F), so at least we know that it doesn't always fail. Did run into other web errors, though.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by ualvet
I've done it myself since 3/3 (booked on web and flown LH award F), so at least we know that it doesn't always fail. Did run into other web errors, though.
I did manage to book the two I mentioned this week, but at least 15 other attempts failed (and I was only looking at two routes/flights within a 2 week period)

I still want to know what the agent did yesterday to book my ticket. I suspect that it requires knowledge and persistence on their part?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by exbayern
But again, were you able to actually book them and receive a confirmation number? The UA website will take you all the way to the payment section, and when you 'pay' it then errors out and tells you to call an agent. The agent usually cannot make the booking either.

The premise of the thread is that one can 'see' the availability but one cannot usually 'book' it.
My experience with a trip earlier this month was that if there was availability on the ANA tool, I could book it on the UA website (and receive a confirmation number and a ticket number). Otherwise, then it's a case of false availability on UA's website, and I may get a confirmation number, but it will say "waitlisted" (with no ticket number, etc).
Old May 1, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
With it seeming that LH is only releasing F close to departure - has anyone had success booking C awards and then changing them to F close-in to departure (1K, so no redeposit fees, etc)?

Looking @ DEN-FRA-XXX (various places on the list - Intra-europe availability is pretty good) and the direct DEN-FRA flights on LH are highly preferable and available on our dates in C (I have a hard time with the LH old C seats), but if we are guaranteed to be in C, would much rather take a detour through ZRH on LX or YYZ on AC (both of which show some availability as well), or even IAD/ORD.

Prior to the reduction in F awards, we were generally successful in finding F awards DEN-FRA-DEN, so would think that there's a good shot at them getting released late in the game, just not sure what recent experience has been or the mechanics of changing the tickets (particularly for the return if it's not released until we've already traveled over).
Old May 1, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cedahm
Prior to the reduction in F awards, we were generally successful in finding F awards DEN-FRA-DEN, so would think that there's a good shot at them getting released late in the game, just not sure what recent experience has been or the mechanics of changing the tickets (particularly for the return if it's not released until we've already traveled over).
UA has recently told me that under the new system it is possible to change your return journey after you have already departed. It is true that it used to be that once travel started on a UA *A award, you could not make any changes, so finally, a change I like!
Old May 1, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by jasonvr
UA has recently told me that under the new system it is possible to change your return journey after you have already departed. It is true that it used to be that once travel started on a UA *A award, you could not make any changes, so finally, a change I like!
This is correct. I've changed return Award ticket dates on- IAH-FRA after arriving at IAH on a FRA-IAH-FRA flight.
Old May 1, 2012, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by cedahm
With it seeming that LH is only releasing F close to departure - has anyone had success booking C awards and then changing them to F close-in to departure (1K, so no redeposit fees, etc)?
This is certainly possible, especially if you can be a bit flexible about when you depart close-in. In my case, we had 3 F tickets booked USA-Germany-India and back - except one seat on one leg was in C. It stayed this way for 9 months, except for a few instances of phantom F popping up on that one flight. Then, exactly 24 hours prior to departure, the award F seat finally opened up for real and I switched.

I noticed that, in the 2 weeks or so before departure, a *lot* of different F options opened up on different flights to Germany (and some to India as well). However, these were usually one or, rarely, two seats - never the three we needed (and anyway we couldn't be flexible).
Old May 1, 2012, 7:11 pm

Got burnt again today by phantom LH F. FRA-DFW on 06/24 is fake :/
Old May 1, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: CO
Doing some searching I found LH 434 for May 21, MUC - ORD in F available. In addition it was available on awardfinder.com, which I think is based on the ANA search, could be wrong on that. Nonetheless, called United to tried and switch as part of a return and they did not show availability. I don't have KVS to check. I hope some LH F availability opens up now that I am closing in on two weeks. Frustrating.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by markpappai
Doing some searching I found LH 434 for May 21, MUC - ORD in F available. In addition it was available on awardfinder.com, which I think is based on the ANA search, could be wrong on that. Nonetheless, called United to tried and switch as part of a return and they did not show availability. I don't have KVS to check. I hope some LH F availability opens up now that I am closing in on two weeks. Frustrating.
Phantom

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.9.R2/Diamond - SNT: Awards/StarAlliance/JP-ANA-SP1]
Code:
MUC  Munich Franz Josef Strauss DE [EDDM]
ORD  Chicago O'Hare Intl IL US [KORD]
MON  21 May 2012 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
UA         907     MUC   12:35     ORD   15:15     777  0   FS-  CS-  YS-
LH         434     MUC   15:35     ORD   18:20     346  0   FS-  CS-  YS-
Old May 2, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by snic

I noticed that, in the 2 weeks or so before departure, a *lot* of different F options opened up on different flights to Germany (and some to India as well). However, these were usually one or, rarely, two seats - never the three we needed (and anyway we couldn't be flexible).
Thanks, everyone.

I grabbed the C seats (and then called back after waiting 8 hours to have the tickets issued )and will be watching for The F (non-phantom) to pop up. We have some flexibility on departure date, but not the return. Will report back in this thread on experience.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: AMEX Centurian, AA Gold, VX Silver, HHonors Gold
Another phantom F LH award seat...

United.com is showing F award on LH 455 09May, but call center does not see it.
Old May 7, 2012, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DesertLance
United.com is showing F award on LH 455 09May, but call center does not see it.
Hmmm. A380 as well. Shows as available on AC Aeroplan as well. But call center confirmed "a glitch" and it is not available.

Old May 7, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
According to KVS, there is no F availability on LH457 on 09May

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.9.R1/Diamond - SNT: Awards/StarAlliance/JP-ANA-SP1]
Code:
SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
FRA  Frankfurt Metro / Intl DE = FRA HHN [EDDF]
WED  09 May 2012 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
UA         900     SFO   13:55     FRA   09:45 +1  744  0   FS-  CS-  YS+
LH         455     SFO   14:55     FRA   10:40 +1  388  0   FS-  CS+  YS-
UA         926     SFO   18:57     FRA   15:00 +1  777  0   FS+  CS-  YS+
Old May 7, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
AC has the same problem when trying to book LH F awards. Not sure what is going on, but really annoying.

No point listing out discrepancies, but I've seen more than a handful in just the last couple of days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.