Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

March 3, 2012 - integration day for SHARES res. system.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

March 3, 2012 - integration day for SHARES res. system.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
It is PMUA SOP for the GA meeting a flight to remain at the gate until everyone has left the plane. So a GA is available to answer connection/gate location/direction type questions.
Indeed. Though UA's agent is usually at the podium, so you have to find them (or they're working the next flight). CO's agent is standing in the hallway, wearing a red blazer, holding a printout and saying, "Connections?" And IIRC, the red coat is usually in addition to the agent meeting the flight/driving the jet bridge. It's really just throwing people at a non-critical fucntion.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Indeed. Though UA's agent is usually at the podium, so you have to find them (or they're working the next flight). CO's agent is standing in the hallway, wearing a red blazer, holding a printout and saying, "Connections?" And IIRC, the red coat is usually in addition to the agent meeting the flight/driving the jet bridge. It's really just throwing people at a non-critical fucntion.
Don't really know if it's the GA or another agent, but on arrival I've often seen PMUA agents standing with a connection list at hubs on large equipment and/or delayed flight arrival. Maybe it's the conspicuous red blazer that makes people think there's something special at CO?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
"Can you protect me on that back-up flight?"

As a 1k, I have learned that these should be just about the first words out of my mouth when things begin to go crosswise. I have found that the answer is almost always "yes", and the option this creates has saved me many times.

Under the new SHARES regime, is it going to be a lot harder for agents to create protection without canceling the original reservation?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: One Pass
Originally Posted by demosthenes1
"Can you protect me on that back-up flight?"

As a 1k, I have learned that these should be just about the first words out of my mouth when things begin to go crosswise. I have found that the answer is almost always "yes", and the option this creates has saved me many times.

Under the new SHARES regime, is it going to be a lot harder for agents to create protection without canceling the original reservation?
I've been backed up in the EWR UC many times, never had an issue.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
I've never seen this person in all my passes through IAH
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure
I've never seen this person in all my passes through IAH
I saw him when I got off my flight from DCA a few weeks ago. He gave me incorrect gate information, and had I not checked a board, I would have missed my connecting flight.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:52 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
One big SHARES short fall is lack of history. We asked the question and so fare have been told the is no way in SHARES to view the history of changes/entries to PNRs or check-in entries. So it seems that when seats or segments change or disappear we won't be able to understand why or how it happened and explain it to you the customer.
You were told wrong. I looked at a history today. While there is no way to sort it (like request only "air history",) it looks similar to ours (not sure if it is in inverse chronological order or chronological order.)
Check your handy dandy shares flip book, it is in there, as well as etkt history, which I also utilized today (well watched as a supe was looking at it, as I have not had my indoctrination yet.)
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by halls120
I saw him when I got off my flight from DCA a few weeks ago. He gave me incorrect gate information, and had I not checked a board, I would have missed my connecting flight.
Which is way they announce on board to "Check the flight monitors, as your gate assignment may have changed.

(The red coat is likey using a sheet that may be a few hours old) IAH used to have monitors over the arrivals path near the concourse for each gate. They would set them to the in house page that would show the city code vs. spelling out the city and it could display many more fights. The red coats could look at that, which was live data. I would suspect somewhere down that line that some carriers will start equipping the "roving supervisors" or red coat type agents with iPads, and have acess to the live FIDS data (as well as host access) All it takes is time and money.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I talked to ten CSRs, including 3 Service Directors, today. Out of all 10, none of them had anything good to say about their SHARES training.

We talked about March 3, and the "Summer of Hell" was referenced several times.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xzh445
Which is way they announce on board to "Check the flight monitors, as your gate assignment may have changed.

(The red coat is likey using a sheet that may be a few hours old)
When the FA on board gives you gate information, I can understand why it might be old information. For a red coat to have information that is "a few hours old" is simply laziness. If the red coat isn't going to take the time to get an updated list before meeting an incoming flight, why even bother?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by fastair
You were told wrong. I looked at a history today. While there is no way to sort it (like request only "air history",) it looks similar to ours (not sure if it is in inverse chronological order or chronological order.)
Check your handy dandy shares flip book, it is in there, as well as etkt history, which I also utilized today (well watched as a supe was looking at it, as I have not had my indoctrination yet.)
++++++++++++++++++++
May I throw more Shtuff in the game, here? Some of the trainers do not have a lot of years with CO, at least at the station I work at. We're talking 2-3 years for some; one UA agent was showing the CO trainer at the gate what steps to take first (from her notes !!!) regarding boarding at the gate because the trainer was starting to do something out of sequence. Learning SHARES formats is one thing/....being on the same page in real-time, real-world is another.

My guess is, (hopefully in a short period of time), saavy UA agents will be leaps and bounds ahead of some CO agents. This is not to say UA agents are better or to put-down any CO agents, obviously they have been doing the job for a long time but the dynamics are different. I think dealing with well-spaced CO flights to Houston versus HOURLY UA flights to Chicago and Denver from many stations are horses of a different color especially during irrops. Also the passenger base is different in many ways, I think UA probably has more business people who are rushed and commonly change flights/ dates/ upgrades, etc., etc. whereas CO may have a larger leisure base traveler. The demands of business travelers in a very rushed environment combined with irregular ops will probably come as a "eye-opener" to some CO agents when we are all located on the same counters/ gates.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Dec 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fastair
Check your handy dandy shares flip book
Any idea how interested 1Ks can get hold of these?

They may come in handy when dealing with frazzled agents in March.

Originally Posted by halls120
If the red coat isn't going to take the time to get an updated list before meeting an incoming flight, why even bother?
Because it's the type of window dressing that earns CO so many awards. It's not about providing anything of substance, it's about having the facade.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:40 pm

Any idea how interested 1Ks can get hold of these?

They may come in handy when dealing with frazzled agents in March.
A 1K / GS / frequent traveler flipbook to help us guide the agents supporting us! I like the idea. Hopefully there will be an app for that...

I was on the phone with a 1K agent today and she said that they do not use fastair and have not in years. So, my question: who, of the people we (customers) interact with use fastair today, and if they do not, what system do they use?

She did say that things are changing, she had been to training, and that systems will change next year. What do 1K agents use today? What are they changing to?

(note to all regarding benefits of being a 1K: UA waived 4 X $20 Australia visas due to my 1K status. Nice benefit.)
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by g_leyser
All of this begs the question: If the PMUA system is so much easier to use than SHARES, why the change?

Is SHARES cheaper or something?
Yes, we believe SHARES is cheaper than Apollo.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
Yes, we believe SHARES is cheaper than Apollo.
Cheaper, maybe, but is it more cost effective?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.