Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

March 3, 2012 - integration day for SHARES res. system.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

March 3, 2012 - integration day for SHARES res. system.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by channa
If IRROPS rebooking takes 10x as long with SHARES vs. FastAir (and that's not an exaggeration -- 10 minutes vs. about 1 minute is about right), that means your average 2 GA gate would need to be 20 GAs to handle the volume in about the same time.
You keep saying 10x as long for a rebook. Could someone with actual working knowledge of both systems confirm this?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Back to the original topic of this thread, traveling on March 3. I have two questions:

1. Can anyone confirm that that is still the planned cut-over date?

2. How many of you will be traveling on that day? (It's a Saturday)

Perhaps its an opportunity for the voucher collectors to book a 6-segment mileage run and hope for the worst.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by njcommodore
You keep saying 10x as long for a rebook. Could someone with actual working knowledge of both systems confirm this?
That really seems a little long. The few times I've been rebooked by CO gate agents (about 5 times in the past year), I have waited at the counter anywhere from 3 to 45 minutes as they worked to change the reservation and reissue the ticket. But the plural of anecdote is not data!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
If an overlay were important to CO, why was it not put on last year? Two years ago? A decade ago?

Fastair is 10+ years old. Delta has been using Deltamatic for who knows how long, and even US has had their overlay on their SHARES for quite a while as well.

My point is if an overlay were a priority for CO, something would have been in place long before the merger.
I was told by a CO agents at SFO the EZR, a GUI application to access SHARES, was developed around the time of 9/11 but apparently due the travel downturn that followed CO chose not to encourage its use and development. I think CO saw it as a training cost problem.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:56 pm

But define normal. Even many of the basic tasks require several times more keystrokes and effort on SHARES than Fastair. IRROPS is just one of the better examples because there are usually a few steps involved (e.g., querying flights, selling flights, revalidating/reissuing tickets, checkin in).

There is lots of room for this to be a disaster given the type of system being used.

Agreed...we will all find out. My point is that we should be concerned, very concerned.

I would really love to be wrong about all of this, but given what I've seen, and what I have been told nearly universally by a number of UA GAs -- to beware, not to fly on or around the transition time, and that CS levels will deteriorate simply because of the system, I'm worried.
Fair enough... Thanks channa.

Since my wife and I will be travelling in early March back from the Caribbean, we will keep our fingers crossed!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Back to the original topic of this thread, traveling on March 3. I have two questions:

2. How many of you will be traveling on that day? (It's a Saturday)

Perhaps its an opportunity for the voucher collectors to book a 6-segment mileage run and hope for the worst.
I have a 9am flight that day ... assuming EWR is still standing
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Air Houston

Yes 3 March 2012 is a hard date.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Based on the conversations I've had with CO agents, there is a big variance between type of rebook. A straight one-for-one is simpler (e.g., I misconnect to IAH-AUS, I take the next IAH-AUS).

It gets exponentially more difficult once you reroute through a different hub (e.g., AUS-IAH-BOS, AUS-IAH delayed, now I'm going AUS-EWR-BOS), and even moreso when you change the number of segments (e.g., AUS-EWR, AUS-EWR delayed, now I'm going AUS-IAH-LGA).

I have a 9am flight that day ... assuming EWR is still standing
EWR will be fine. The problems will be at ORD, DEN, IAD, SFO, and LAX where GAs and customers are accustomed to providing or receiving faster service due to better systems.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
Awesome I have a flight on March 3, hopefully all will be well

I remember the US/AMWEST integration a few years back when they were my primary carrier and their were a LOT of issues.

Given what were seeing lately with current computer issues (status, eua, etc) this date has me very worried.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No one's saying CO's GA's can't figure out how to do VDBs.
But you are saying that CO has more IDBs because of SHARES. And there is roughly the same amount of work required of the agent in both cases. So if that's the case, why?

If the work required of the agent is roughly the same then how is the system causing a trend towards one and not the other?

It's not causation, but I'd be surprised if SHARES were not a contributing factor to CO's worst-in-the-industry IDB rate.
So it doesn't completely cause it, but it partly causes it? Again, how?

Or it doesn't actually cause the problems but you continue to repeat it ad nauseum anyways. For any particular reason?

Originally Posted by okrogius
-auctioning of compensation (start with paltry 200 and increase once you have no takers)
Not SHARES
-generally offer poor rebooking alternatives (UA is happy to rebook you on any airline of your choice even non-star in under a minute, whereas CO generally tries to stick to themselves even if several days later). You could argue this is both policy and systems (part of the reason CO doesn't like to rebook on other carriers does relate to the difficulty of doing it)
I'll call this completely policies since it has already been "established" here that any IRROPS rebooking on SHARES is horrible.
-terrible volunteer experience (whereas united will generally tell you whether you're needed as the plane starts boarding, co has no clue until everyone has boarded and overheads are full; electronic vdb list isn't used so you really have to hover around the GA even more)
Not SHARES.

most of the reasons CO VDB process is abysmal compared to UA does somehow relate to their systems.
Which ones? Certainly none listed so far. And especially which ones are so bad that they make IDBs more likely than VDBs. Again, the GA has to do roughly the same amount of work.

But yes, this isn't causation (hence the "potential" in channa's post).
Either it is part of the problem or it isn't. Either SHARES is contributing to the issues or this is fear mongering BS.

Which is it?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
Channa beat me to it. If CO's higher percentage of IDBs over VDB's is merely policy and not the outcome of an IT platform which makes it harder (timewise speaking) for a GA to process a VDB over IDB, then my comment about the statistic is misplaced.
Here is some data on CO and UA DB rates (US DOT Air Travel Consumer Report)

Year Rank Emplaned IDB/10K VBD/10K
2009 9 UA 50,971,409 1.30 16.05
2009 12 CO 37,524,185 1.57 10.10

2010 12 UA 48,711,205 1.27 12.47
2010 13 CO 36,682,772 1.82 8.89

2010* 9 UA 36,905,652 1.35 12.09
2010* 12 CO 27,462,416 1.94 9.44

2011* 12 UA 34,583,352 1.06 17.33
2011* 13 CO 29,042,201 1.61 8.18

*Jan-Sep

It is apparent that UA is more aggressive in overbooking flights to ensure 100% capacity but still has a lower rate of IDB's. This is due in part to UA's more sophisticated yield management hardware/software combination which will be retained going forward.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: MYOB
Based on the conversations I've had with CO agents, there is a big variance between type of rebook. A straight one-for-one is simpler (e.g., I misconnect to IAH-AUS, I take the next IAH-AUS).

It gets exponentially more difficult once you reroute through a different hub (e.g., AUS-IAH-BOS, AUS-IAH delayed, now I'm going AUS-EWR-BOS), and even moreso when you change the number of segments (e.g., AUS-EWR, AUS-EWR delayed, now I'm going AUS-IAH-LGA).

EWR will be fine. The problems will be at ORD, DEN, IAD, SFO, and LAX where GAs and customers are accustomed to providing or receiving faster service due to better systems.
Someone could be embellishing again. If it is an "online rebook" going thru a different hub is not "exponentially" harder. If availability is there, the rebook is pretty quick an clean. Are you tying the first paragraph of "based on converstations with CO" agents" to the second paragraph? If so, that agent misinformed you. Hoewever, it is more likely "channaspeak" where one nugget of is parlayed into a "new fact" in the next thought, solely to serve one's agenda or purpose.

Regarding ORD/DEN/IAD/SFO/LAX....another way to look at it is that there is now "exponentially" more options for rebooking someone. Once the migration to a single PSS occurs...it is ALL online, and codeshare issues go away, and "out of synch" problems are reduced.................. "exponentially"
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Which ones? Certainly none listed so far. And especially which ones are so bad that they make IDBs more likely than VDBs. Again, the GA has to do roughly the same amount of work.
The reason system matter is VDB is frequently a time-crunched activity when there are other things pressing for an on-time departure.

IDB still needs to be rebooked, but that can be done after the door closes (yes VDBs can be rebooked then, but most will want to know what the alternative flights are). The IDB will be also generally not get a choice about "how about nonstop CO tomorrow" whereas the VDB might not accept it (but would accept the nonstop on AS a couple of hours later, or perhaps a reroute through another hub on UA, or maybe a flight to another airport a couple of hours away by car, etc).

Remember the goal of the system isn't to make it possible to VDB (they can do it without a computer), but to make it more efficient/easier/faster. CO SHARES does negatively contribute toward VDB's (if you have doubts, try volunteering on both carriers. It's a night and day difference). However, of course this is not about blaming SHARES entirely - it's only one of many reasons (many of which are just policies).
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's very obvious that CO SHARES does negatively contribute toward VDB (if you have doubts, try volunteering on both carriers. It's a night and day difference).
My experiences have not been nearly that different. Maybe I'm just special.

However, of course this isn't saying it's a primary factor (or even how large of one it is).
And, yet, it is one of the primary claims that has been made, over and over again, about how awful SHARES is.

And let's not even get into the part where we're not comparing SHARES to Apollo but still claiming one is worse than the other as though the comparisons were based on comparable data.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
My experiences have not been nearly that different. Maybe I'm just special.

And, yet, it is one of the primary claims that has been made, over and over again, about how awful SHARES is.

And let's not even get into the part where we're not comparing SHARES to Apollo but still claiming one is worse than the other as though the comparisons were based on comparable data.
I've yet to have a non-stellar experience with a UA VDB. Half of the time on CO it's fine, other half it's a PITA. If you always have good experiences, count yourself lucky and enjoy life. However, this forum is largely an exchange of impression/experiences/opinions - not a scientific study to determine alleged fact. Anyone resorting to personal attacks takes this far too seriously. (You did get to quote my post before a quick edit clarifying the subjectiveness of any opinion.)

My own personal fear of SHARES is general IRROPs (haven't read this entire thread end-to-end but I'd guess VDB is just one of many concerns). It takes more time to get things fixed (I have been on hold with CO for two hours while someone is working on my ticket) and many times with CO I get the feeling that someone wants to find some reason to not help me. Of course there are tons of other factors such as different cultures, staffing levels, reliance on computers versus humans, etc. Technology at least IMHO contributes signficantly to my experiences with any airline.

If VDB experience continues to be bad, I just won't volunteer. Time will tell how the rest of this shakes out.

Last edited by okrogius; Jan 10, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.