Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade priority on UA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Waitlisted RPU priority.

So I believe that RPUs are to be processed before CPUs even within te 5 day window, correct?

Now what does this verbiage mean ( under priority within 24 hours):

Waitlists Will expire and automatic Processing of upgrades...will continue

Will my partner who is premier gold be prioritized above a 1K or Platinum hoping for a CPU if it goes to the gate?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SF1K
Will my partner who is premier gold be prioritized above a 1K or Platinum hoping for a CPU if it goes to the gate?
Per the policy, yes.

There is some ambiguity with respect to the time between the 24 hour window and when things are handled at the gate, but at the gate the RPU-supported upgrade should be above CPUs.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Who gets upgraded first?

I'm a Plat and I booked a reservation for me and for a companion that has no status.

I realize I get upgraded first, but who gets upgraded between me and my companion?

All Premiere - ie golds and silvers; and then and only then, my companion?

Or does the companion get preference over golds and silvers since I'm plat?

Just curious. Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rgrunnah
I'm a Plat and I booked a reservation for me and for a companion that has no status.

I realize I get upgraded first, but who gets upgraded between me and my companion?

All Premiere - ie golds and silvers; and then and only then, my companion?

Or does the companion get preference over golds and silvers since I'm plat?

Just curious. Thanks.
During the CPU sweeps the companion is supposed to carry the same status as you do. After check-in they won't until you request such from an agent at the airport.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
During the CPU sweeps the companion is supposed to carry the same status as you do. After check-in they won't until you request such from an agent at the airport.
I confirm this in practice for both situations - during sweep and at the airport.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:06 pm

Ok...so exactly how are Upgrades prioritized at the "new" UA?

Hi folks:

I've been looking for an answer to this question. I've seen comments here and there on a few threads, but nothing official.

I'd like to know, specifically, how UA now prioritizes clearing upgrades at the gate on the day of departure.

I know the "Old UA" (pre merger) processed upgrades in the following order:
1)Status (All GS's before 1K's, then all 1K's before Premier Platinum, etc)
2)Fare Paid (B would clear before M which would clear before W)
3)Time added to the waitlist (i.e. Check In Time.)

I have heard rumors that the "New UA" now processes upgrades at the airport in the following order...but I would like some confirmation:
1)Fare Paid
2)Status
3)Time added to waitlist.

So...if this is true, it means under the new system that a lowly Premier on a B fare to Europe would clear with miles/co-pay before a 1K on a W fare using a GPU.

Is this true? If so, it is a sad sad day for the new UA.

I realize money talks and BS walks...but I think UA is wrong to be looking at the $'s on a specific flight (a snapshot / soundbite) vs the annual spend of a 1K / GS.

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:12 pm

It really goes by status,then by fare... it can't not be done at the gates anymore like they used to.... On international flights it must be done 48 hours in advance.... Otherwise the flight will go with empty seats in the upper cabin...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Correction - first, Tens of Dollars upgrades are offered to non-Elites (and occasionally UA's valued "Premier" flyers as well). Then, the rest of the list starts.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
The Worst Part Is That They Won't Tell Us!

UA reps have responded on various threads to some of these upgrade questions saying that TOD/UFCs should not be taking priority over elites but they appear to be. Thus, the real priority may be something like:

1. TOD/UFC buy-ups.
2. Fare Class.
3. Elite Status.
4. Time on wait list since check-in.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
man where have you been the last few months. i can't even count the number of threads (many still active) discussing this

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...aspx#cpriority
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
Hi folks:

I've been looking for an answer to this question. I've seen comments here and there on a few threads, but nothing official.

I'd like to know, specifically, how UA now prioritizes clearing upgrades at the gate on the day of departure.

I know the "Old UA" (pre merger) processed upgrades in the following order:
1)Status (All GS's before 1K's, then all 1K's before Premier Platinum, etc)
2)Fare Paid (B would clear before M which would clear before W)
3)Time added to the waitlist (i.e. Check In Time.)

I have heard rumors that the "New UA" now processes upgrades at the airport in the following order...but I would like some confirmation:
1)Fare Paid
2)Status
3)Time added to waitlist.

So...if this is true, it means under the new system that a lowly Premier on a B fare to Europe would clear with miles/co-pay before a 1K on a W fare using a GPU.

Is this true? If so, it is a sad sad day for the new UA.

I realize money talks and BS walks...but I think UA is wrong to be looking at the $'s on a specific flight (a snapshot / soundbite) vs the annual spend of a 1K / GS.

Thanks!
There are multiple threads on this topic. Please try doing a search. Here's one of the many http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...=upgrade+order
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG gold, Hyatt plat, several grocery stores' valued shopper cards
That's great theory from UA, but reality is as a 1K, if I'm not eligible for instant upgrade, I'm not getting upgraded until the day of the flight if at all. And it's not uncommon for me to move backward on the upgrade list. The 96 hours, 72 hours bit is just for show. They don't mean it. At all.

Agree with other posts that say it's stupid to try to make more money on each flight by keeping 1Ks in the dark on upgrades until they reach the gate, versus losing customers that have spent tens of thousands of dollars with you. Just say you're going to do one sweep maybe 48 hours out, and that's it. But make it stick. Anything would be better than what you're doing.
Old May 25, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Is UA Following the Priority Rules for Waitlisted Insta-Upgrades?

I am flying SFO->EWR on an M fare in two weeks. As such I am elegible for an insta-upgrade (But R inventory is 0).
According to UA's website I am ahead of all the instrument holders on the upgrade priority list.
Do they follow the policy, or should I expect to be deep down on the list?

Happy Travels
DLP
Old May 25, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by DLPhoenix
I am flying SFO->EWR on an M fare in two weeks. As such I am elegible for an insta-upgrade (But R inventory is 0).
According to UA's website I am ahead of all the instrument holders on the upgrade priority list.
Do they follow the policy, or should I expect to be deep down on the list?

Happy Travels
DLP
You'll be near or at the top of the list, but the list may not matter as they TOD the upgrades out from under you. bonne chance
Old May 25, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
You're not going for R space...you want PN for 1K comp upgrade from an M fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.