Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

Revenue buckets
J - Full Fare Business
C - Discount Business
D - Discount Business
Z - Deep Discount Business
P - Deep Discount Business
O - Full Fare PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
A - Discount PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
R - Deep Discount PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
Y - Full Fare Coach
B - Full Fare Coach
M - Discount Coach
E - Discount Coach
U - Discount Coach
H - Discount Coach
Q - Discount Coach
V - Discount Coach
W - Deep Discount Coach
S - Deep Discount Coach
T - Deep Discount Coach
L - Deep Discount Coach
K - Deep Discount Coach
G - Deep Discount Coach
N - Basic Economy

Saver Award Inventory
IN - Elite (Plat/1K/GS) Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
I - Non-Elite and Low Elite Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award. Also available to Chase Gateway, Explorer, Quest, and United Club Visa cardholders as an undocumented benefit
X - Non-Elite Saver Coach Award

"Everyday" Award Inventory
JN - Elite/CC Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award (may be open to all MP members )
ZN - Non-Elite Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award (tracks to the Z bucket) (not clear if still used for award travel). Also used for buy-up upgrade offered at check-in. May be a factor in Skip-the-Waitliist availability
ON - Everyday PremiumPlus (Premium Economy) Award
YN - Elite/CC Everyday Coach Award (may be open to all MP members)
HN - Non-Elite Everyday Coach Award (tracks to the H bucket) (not clear this is still used)

Upgrade Inventory
PN - Y/B/M 1K Instant Upgrades (CPU eligible routes only); All GS sponsored upgrades Y->J (CPU, PlusPoints, miles)
PZ - Upgrades to Polaris Business, United Business, or United First (excepting GS sponsored upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades)
RN - Upgrades to Premium Plus

Points earning for all upgrades is based on the originally purchased fare. Also see below.

Upgrades Note that upgraded flights will post to your MileagePlus statement as Z(X) where the second letter (X) is the original booking class. The parenthetical letter defines the earning rate for the flight as points are earned based on the original booking class.

How to read inventory numbers:
Why does J8C5D3Z0P0 mean?
The zero inventory is easy to explain, UA is presently unwilling to sell tickets using inventory in that fare class.
Does J8C5D3 mean there are 16 seats for sale? No -- there are just 8 available seats.
Inventory in a fare class is not additive but the lower fare classes are subsets of the higher fare classes
If UA sells / upgrades 1 seat in the premium fare class, the Inventory will like change to J7C4D2.
The J inventory is the total number of seats for sale in business/first. While C,D,Z, P ... are the number of seats UA is willing to sell in those lower fare classes
Going back to J8C5D3Z0P0, if you want 4 seats on a single PNR, you will have to purchase C fare, as there isn't enough inventory for D fare for everyone on the PNR and everyone on a common PNR must have the same fare class / fare basis.

In some cases, if a lower cabin is oversold, UA will then block, remove from inventory in the higher cabin to protect against the oversale.
Note the largest number for a UA fare class in public displays is 9 (some airlines limit to just 4), this prevents revealing too much information to the competitors or the public.

Award and upgrade inventory are also subsets on their respective cabin inventory

Management of inventory and maximizing revenue is the role of Revenue Management (RM), a highly secretive, proprietary operation of the airlines -- So inventory changes (within the physical limitations of the aircraft) will be dynamic and can change without notice as determine by RM

Archive thread: Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Smile

Originally Posted by jsloan
That’s my guess, which would mean that someone dropping status from GS probably retains GS priority on instruments applied before 1/31, even if the flights are after 1/31. However, I suspect that some former GSes might have personal experience.
I really appreciate all the input!

I guess I will try to push my upgrade through on the 31st (since it's 72 hours before the flight) as a last GS perk.. fingers crossed!
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: MP Gold, AAdvantage
If PZ>0, can I use miles+copay to upgrade?

Looking at flying EWR-FCO and seeing PZ5 and PZ9 for a couple of my flight options. Does the fact that PZ>0 mean that I will be able to buy the economy ticket and then immediately use miles+copay to upgrade (assuming that PZ doesn't change immediately after booking)?
Or is it possible that only a paid upgrade will be offered and miles+copay could be waitlisted?
Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WormGod
Looking at flying EWR-FCO and seeing PZ5 and PZ9 for a couple of my flight options. Does the fact that PZ>0 mean that I will be able to buy the economy ticket and then immediately use miles+copay to upgrade (assuming that PZ doesn't change immediately after booking)?
Yes.
WormGod likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by WormGod
Or is it possible that only a paid upgrade will be offered and miles+copay could be waitlisted?
Thanks!
I recently purchased a ticket from IAD-ZRH - PZ=9, however MU award was not offered as an upgrade choice. I was only offered +P upgrade option. I called the Premier desk and they said the MU award option was not being offered at this time. Never seen that mentioned here before. I thought that if PZ>0 I would be able to confirm upgrade which ever way I wanted. Appears that was not the case last week.
WormGod likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lynnie_Bee
I recently purchased a ticket from IAD-ZRH - PZ=9, however MU award was not offered as an upgrade choice. ....
HUCA, rubbish response. Agent too lazy to handle the problem. No such exception in the rules.
jsloan and WormGod like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
HUCA, rubbish response. Agent too lazy to handle the problem. No such exception in the rules.
Well that is good to know. Too late for this trip, but will know for the next one. I used my +P to confirm my dad's upgrade. We needed specific dates so didn't want to sit on the PZ > 0.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:51 am

R fare MU upgrade cleared to ZR

I haven’t seen this mentioned before, so apologize if this is old info. I booked an R fare to BCN recently and cleared a MU award. It cleared into ZR when posted to my account. Not seen mention of that bucket anywhere. Of note on this flight, never saw PZ >0, but was checking as the bookings for biz appeared light. For this flight, I was around 5 on the list for Polaris with P>9. One day while checking on the reservation I saw the upgrade list with no names on it. Apparently they cleared the lot of us in a sweep.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Lynnie_Bee
I haven’t seen this mentioned before, so apologize if this is old info. I booked an R fare to BCN recently and cleared a MU award. It cleared into ZR when posted to my account. Not seen mention of that bucket anywhere.
You cleared into PZ. ZR is not an inventory bucket, it's UA's code for the upgraded R fare. This is how all upgraded revenue tix post to your account, Z followed by original fare bucket.
jsloan and wxguy like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
It seems that the wiki is out-of-date based on the new dynamic awards. I think that the entries for I and IN no longer match what is in the Wiki (but I can't be sure). I'm gold and when searching C awards, I'm regularly seeing I and IN availability, so I'm thinking that IN is no longer "high-elite", but rather is simply a different level of dynamic award. Interestingly, I see some routings that have I on a partner, then IN on the UA flight (TATL). I don't know if there is enough information to really figure out what UA is doing yet.

From my TATL searches, it seems that I is used for partner awards and possibly lower price UA awards in C (only available when partner flights are involved on the routing), while IN is simply a different award bucket on UA flights, with multiple "price" points. I have seen routings where a partner flight (intra-europe) is in I, while the UA flights (TATL) is in IN. This prices higher than the normal partner (saver) award where everything is in I (both intra-europe and TATL). So, I would posit that I is the lowest award bucket, and only available in conjunction with a partner flight (although this may not be the case), and IN is the normal UA award bucket for C, again with multiple price points available.

Last edited by tods27; Feb 24, 2020 at 11:47 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tods27
Interestingly, I see some routings that have I on a partner, then IN on the UA flight (TATL).
This has always been the case. Partner flights don't have an IN bucket.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:48 am

This is true. Only I on partner flights.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm gold and when searching C awards, I'm regularly seeing I and IN availability, so I'm thinking that IN is no longer "high-elite", but rather is simply a different level of dynamic award.
Are you able to book into it?
And qualified elite bookings will always default to IN.

I suspect it's fair to say that we don't yet have a completely grasp on how UA is handling award inventory with the introduction of dynamic pricing.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you able to book into it?
Didn't try to actually book it as I'm looking for partner level award and don't want to pay the higher rate that shows with the I/IN award.

I suspect it's fair to say that we don't yet have a completely grasp on how UA is handling award inventory with the introduction of dynamic pricing.
This was my point. I think that we should simply update the Wiki to note that we aren't really sure on this for now.

Last edited by tods27; Feb 26, 2020 at 8:11 am
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:02 am

I'm looking for partner level award and don't want to pay the higher rate that shows with the mixed I/IN award..
That's not a mixed award. A mixed award is different cabins. As noted earlier, IN/I has always been the default on a mixed UA-partner itinerary for those who are eligible to book into IN.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not a mixed award. A mixed award is different cabins. As noted earlier, IN/I has always been the default on a mixed UA-partner itinerary for those who are eligible to book into IN.
Fixed it to remove "mixed". Either way, the I/IN award was a higher rate than I wanted to pay, so I didn't try to book it. There is still a question as to why it is showing me, a Gold member, the I/IN award. It may be that this is just an error in the award search. I have seen (crappy) routings that show all I, and those have been a lower amount of miles than those that include IN on UA. Given that, in the past, I wouldn't see the IN space, I don't know if those were the same "price".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.