Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

Revenue buckets
J - Full Fare Business
C - Discount Business
D - Discount Business
Z - Deep Discount Business
P - Deep Discount Business
O - Full Fare PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
A - Discount PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
R - Deep Discount PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
Y - Full Fare Coach
B - Full Fare Coach
M - Discount Coach
E - Discount Coach
U - Discount Coach
H - Discount Coach
Q - Discount Coach
V - Discount Coach
W - Deep Discount Coach
S - Deep Discount Coach
T - Deep Discount Coach
L - Deep Discount Coach
K - Deep Discount Coach
G - Deep Discount Coach
N - Basic Economy

Saver Award Inventory
IN - Elite (Plat/1K/GS) Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
I - Non-Elite and Low Elite Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award. Also available to Chase Gateway, Explorer, Quest, and United Club Visa cardholders as an undocumented benefit
X - Non-Elite Saver Coach Award

"Everyday" Award Inventory
JN - Elite/CC Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award (may be open to all MP members )
ZN - Non-Elite Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award (tracks to the Z bucket) (not clear if still used for award travel). Also used for buy-up upgrade offered at check-in. May be a factor in Skip-the-Waitliist availability
ON - Everyday PremiumPlus (Premium Economy) Award
YN - Elite/CC Everyday Coach Award (may be open to all MP members)
HN - Non-Elite Everyday Coach Award (tracks to the H bucket) (not clear this is still used)

Upgrade Inventory
PN - Y/B/M 1K Instant Upgrades (CPU eligible routes only); All GS sponsored upgrades Y->J (CPU, PlusPoints, miles)
PZ - Upgrades to Polaris Business, United Business, or United First (excepting GS sponsored upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades)
RN - Upgrades to Premium Plus

Points earning for all upgrades is based on the originally purchased fare. Also see below.

Upgrades Note that upgraded flights will post to your MileagePlus statement as Z(X) where the second letter (X) is the original booking class. The parenthetical letter defines the earning rate for the flight as points are earned based on the original booking class.

How to read inventory numbers:
Why does J8C5D3Z0P0 mean?
The zero inventory is easy to explain, UA is presently unwilling to sell tickets using inventory in that fare class.
Does J8C5D3 mean there are 16 seats for sale? No -- there are just 8 available seats.
Inventory in a fare class is not additive but the lower fare classes are subsets of the higher fare classes
If UA sells / upgrades 1 seat in the premium fare class, the Inventory will like change to J7C4D2.
The J inventory is the total number of seats for sale in business/first. While C,D,Z, P ... are the number of seats UA is willing to sell in those lower fare classes
Going back to J8C5D3Z0P0, if you want 4 seats on a single PNR, you will have to purchase C fare, as there isn't enough inventory for D fare for everyone on the PNR and everyone on a common PNR must have the same fare class / fare basis.

In some cases, if a lower cabin is oversold, UA will then block, remove from inventory in the higher cabin to protect against the oversale.
Note the largest number for a UA fare class in public displays is 9 (some airlines limit to just 4), this prevents revealing too much information to the competitors or the public.

Award and upgrade inventory are also subsets on their respective cabin inventory

Management of inventory and maximizing revenue is the role of Revenue Management (RM), a highly secretive, proprietary operation of the airlines -- So inventory changes (within the physical limitations of the aircraft) will be dynamic and can change without notice as determine by RM

Archive thread: Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus
PN > P?

I'm looking at itineraries for an East Coast trip later this spring. For one of the flights I'm likely to select, I'm seeing the following fare bucket availability: J9 JN9 C9 D4 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN6 PZ0 IN0 Y9 ...

I don't think I've ever seen a situation in which PN > P ... nor does it make sense to me. Am I missing something, or is this a united.com bug feature?
That looks like connecting flights inventory. If you search for each flight as a nonstop — e.g., if you were looking at PDX-LAS and saw that inventory on a PDX-SFO-LAS option, check PDX-SFO and SFO-LAS as independent searches — what do you find?

edit: haha, fastest for once!
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is this a connecting trip, if so the P inventory is for the entire trip and the PN is just for the segment.
Try searching the segment only.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Ah, thanks! That indeed appears to be what is happening here. I didn't realize that one fare class could be referencing only one leg of an itinerary while another is taking the whole itinerary into account.

I'm searching for LAX-BWI. It's the LAX-ORD leg of that itinerary where PN > P. When searching on LAX-ORD only P = PN = 0, which makes sense. ORD-BWI has P9 PN6 P0. But does that make sense when combined on one itinerary?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Ah, thanks! That indeed appears to be what is happening here. I didn't realize that one fare class could be referencing only one leg of an itinerary while another is taking the whole itinerary into account.

I'm searching for LAX-BWI. It's the LAX-ORD leg of that itinerary where PN > P. When searching on LAX-ORD only P = PN = 0, which makes sense. ORD-BWI has P9 PN6 P0. But does that make sense when combined on one itinerary?
A P thru fare can not be purchased (you could try multi-city -- but may run in pricing issues for a broken fare or fare combinability)
And only ORD-BWI can be upgraded now -- LAX-ORD would be waitlisted.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A P thru fare can not be purchased (you could try multi-city -- but may run in pricing issues for a broken fare or fare combinability)
And only ORD-BWI can be upgraded now -- LAX-ORD would be waitlisted.
So many details needed to make sense of it all ...

I'm certainly not looking to purchase a P fare (one drawback to government travel). It's more that I was just curious and looking to use FT to further my knowledge of United's system. Thanks again!
Old Mar 27, 2023, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So many details needed to make sense of it all ...

I'm certainly not looking to purchase a P fare (one drawback to government travel). It's more that I was just curious and looking to use FT to further my knowledge of United's system. Thanks again!
Ultimately, what you're seeing is this (and it's a markéd improvement from how it worked as recently as 18 months ago):

All of the "regular" inventory classes show the married segment availability -- i.e., they show what you can actually buy. That is, they necessarily take both legs into account and offer you the inventory on the pair. (This may be entirely independent of the availability on either leg if purchased separately). The PN and PZ buckets, which you can't buy directly anyway, show the underlying values for the individual leg.

This is a huge timesaver for anyone who is interested in upgrades on connecting flights, because often we care more about one leg or the other. I don't care about upgrades on AUS-IAH/DEN/ORD at all, and I only marginally care about them on AUS-SFO/LAX/EWR/IAD. But I very much care about upgrade availability on TATL/TPAC segments I might connect to those flights. Being able to do one single search and get meaningful answers for many different possible combinations is a huge win.
SPN Lifer and iapetus like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA AA and more
Expert mode fare classes

I'm quite sure it's somewhere in this forum, but I can't seem to find it.

What is ON fare class?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2023 at 11:12 pm Reason: moved to master thread
Old Aug 10, 2023, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
ON - Everyday PremiumPlus (Premium Economy) Award

See (thread) wiki
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2023 at 11:15 pm Reason: post move cleanup, thans for the link
Old Nov 28, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
I saw a flight with the following buckets. Why would B be less than Y and M?Available fare classes: J2 JN2 CO DO ZO ZNO PO PNO PZO INO 10 Y9 YN9 B1 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V8 W5 S1 TO LO KO GO N9 XNO X0
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I see that Premium Plus fare on oversea segment is accompanied by either domestic B or Y fare. UA can charge more for premium economy purchases with limited B availability for the domestic connection flights. This is just my guess and may not answer your question.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and zymm like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm seeing B correspond to the number of unassigned E+.

It is slowly becoming a fare class that represents Economy Plus as a class-of-service (sort of).
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by findark

It is slowly becoming a fare class that represents Economy Plus as a class-of-service (sort of).
Look like the most plausible answer to me. I search some flights (IAD-SFO for today), B bucket is equal to the number of E+ seats.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Based on my research, note that unassigned blocked seats (7DE on most narrowbodies) are including in the "available" count.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by findark

Yes - because anything booked in B enables E+ seat selection for no charge. Probably six months or so ago (this year went by too fast) B inventory was updated to link to the number of E+ seats remaining to prevent the issue of selling a "E+" (-IN) fare when no E+ seats were available for selection.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Yes - because anything booked in B enables E+ seat selection for no charge.
Is this true for a B- basis Economy type fare? In the past you needed a Zxx Premium Economy type fare as in the -IN fares being marketed for E+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.