FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1270547-decoding-alphabet-soup-fare-buckets-ua.html)

SFOTerry Jan 5, 2019 10:17 am

Is there a new "bucket" for upgrading from E to Prem+ with a GPU? Thanks

Kacee Jan 5, 2019 10:57 am

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 30613909)
Is there a new "bucket" for upgrading from E to Prem+ with a GPU? Thanks

RN

SFOTerry Jan 5, 2019 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30614045)
RN

Thanks!

What farecodes are NOT upgradable to Prem+? I find the UA.com info confusing. Are they S, T, K, L, G & N? Would that make the lowest eligible code U? Thanks again.

findark Jan 5, 2019 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 30614579)
Thanks!

What farecodes are NOT upgradable to Prem+? I find the UA.com info confusing. Are they S, T, K, L, G & N? Would that make the lowest eligible code U? Thanks again.

All fare classes are eligible for upgrade to PE using a GPU, except that all Basic Economy fares (any rbd) are not eligible for upgrade.

SFOTerry Jan 5, 2019 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30614610)
All fare classes are eligible for upgrade to PE using a GPU, except that all Basic Economy fares (any rbd) are not eligible for upgrade.

Thanks! (BTW, what does "any rbd" mean?)

This is what is shown on the UA.com "Upgrade Overview" page (my emphasis added) (https://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/mileageplus/awards/upgrade/default.aspx?POS=US#cpriority):
For regions with a https://www.united.com/web/format/im...llet_10x10.png*, Global Premier Upgrades are not available on flights booked in fare classes S, T, K, L, G or N. Basic Economy fares and Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) fares are not eligible for any type of upgrade.
  • United® Premium Plus: For members traveling on upgrade-eligible fares, there will be no fare class restriction for members who purchase a United Economy seat and request a move to a United® Premium Plus seat, and no fare class restriction for members who purchase a United® Premium Plus seat and request an upgrade to the United Polaris® business class cabin.
It's the "upgrade-eligible" that I find confusing. Based on the first paragraph, that might exclude more than basic economy (N). But if this has been clarified by UA as stated in the post above, great. Not that I find the prospect of PE that appealing. But if a flight has PE, those who purchase it get 1st crack at upgrade to C.

I didn't find any thread with PE upgrade experiences. If there is one, I'd appreciate the link.

Kacee Jan 5, 2019 3:07 pm

Updated the Wiki.

Kacee Jan 5, 2019 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 30614691)
It's the "upgrade-eligible" that I find confusing.

That only excludes non-upgradeable fares, e.g., basic economy (N). It's not a model of clarity.

SFOTerry Jan 5, 2019 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30614923)
That only excludes non-upgradeable fares, e.g., basic economy (N). It's not a model of clarity.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30614913)
Updated the Wiki.

Thanks again!

fumje Jan 5, 2019 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 30614691)
Thanks! (BTW, what does "any rbd" mean?)

This is what is shown on the UA.com "Upgrade Overview" page (my emphasis added) (https://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/mileageplus/awards/upgrade/default.aspx?POS=US#cpriority):
For regions with a https://www.united.com/web/format/im...llet_10x10.png*, Global Premier Upgrades are not available on flights booked in fare classes S, T, K, L, G or N. Basic Economy fares and Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) fares are not eligible for any type of upgrade.
  • United® Premium Plus: For members traveling on upgrade-eligible fares, there will be no fare class restriction for members who purchase a United Economy seat and request a move to a United® Premium Plus seat, and no fare class restriction for members who purchase a United® Premium Plus seat and request an upgrade to the United Polaris® business class cabin.
It's the "upgrade-eligible" that I find confusing. Based on the first paragraph, that might exclude more than basic economy (N). But if this has been clarified by UA as stated in the post above, great. Not that I find the prospect of PE that appealing. But if a flight has PE, those who purchase it get 1st crack at upgrade to C.

I didn't find any thread with PE upgrade experiences. If there is one, I'd appreciate the link.

RBD is 'reservation booking designator', which is a less ambiguous (although more abstruse) term than is 'fare class', the phrase UA typically uses.

findark Jan 5, 2019 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30614923)

And the reason it reads ambiguously is because Basic Economy (still referred to there as "Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed)" - as they were before December) can have a booking code which is not N on TATL sectors, and is the same booking code as other fares which are upgrade eligible.

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 30615195)
RBD is 'reservation booking designator', which is a less ambiguous (although more abstruse) term than is 'fare class', the phrase UA typically uses.

Fewer keystrokes also :)

TomMM Jan 10, 2019 7:42 am

Seems that not everybody/every system knows that R is no longer an upgrade code. I recently bought a PP fare which booked into R. Last night I received a call from UA about needing to "verify some information" about the trip. The agent I spoke with determined that somebody notated my booking with "how is the flight being upgraded?". A supervisor confirmed that somebody mistook my R fare for an upgrade.

ckidder331 Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm

Can someone help me understand how to processing of CPU's work

I see PN5 and PZ2 for my flight
We're within the 48 hour window of a flight
I'm a Premier Gold

Should it auto-upgrade us since there is space or is there something I don't know?

Thanks!

findark Jan 10, 2019 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by ckidder331 (Post 30637671)
Can someone help me understand how to processing of CPU's work

I see PN5 and PZ2 for my flight
We're within the 48 hour window of a flight
I'm a Premier Gold

Should it auto-upgrade us since there is space or is there something I don't know?

Thanks!

No. PZ space is not sufficient for a CPU to run; you are just at the mercy of the computer (and there could easily be Plats and possibly 1Ks still ahead of you).

ckidder331 Jan 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Success!

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30637681)
No. PZ space is not sufficient for a CPU to run; you are just at the mercy of the computer (and there could easily be Plats and possibly 1Ks still ahead of you).

Well a few hours after the 48hour mark but I got an email from United saying the upgrade went thru - woohoo!

And now it shows PN2 and PZ0

FTLexMUC Jan 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Premium Eco Upgrade Booking class

Hi - apologies if this is explained somewhere but with the new PE rolli gbout I was wondering if you know what booking class needs to be available for a GPU to clear into PE? Does it automatically clear if PE (R/A) is open?
it only waitlists into Business if fate class is W or higher I assume
thanks