Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 20, 20, 4:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Oct 2018 - Significant fare class changes with the introduction of new premium economy fares ("Premium Plus") and the elimination of 3-class F.

Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Discount Business (200%)
D - Discount Business (200%)
Z - Deep Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)
O - Full Fare Premium Economy (150%)
A - Discount Premium Economy (150%)
R - Deep Discount Premium Economy (150%)
Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
N - Basic Economy (50%)

Saver Award Inventory
IN - Elite (Plat/1K/GS) Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
I - Non-Elite and Low Elite Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award. Also available to Chase Explorer and Club cardholders as an undocumented benefit
X - Non-Elite Saver Coach Award

"Everyday" Award Inventory
JN - Elite/CC Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award
ZN - Non-Elite Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award (tracks to the Z bucket). Also used for buy-up upgrade offered at check-in.
ON - Everyday Premium Economy Award
YN - Elite/CC Everyday Coach Award
HN - Non-Elite Everyday Coach Award (tracks to the H bucket)

Upgrade Inventory
PN - Y/B/M 1K Instant Upgrades (CPU eligible routes only); All GS upgrades Y->J (CPU, RPU, GPU, miles)
PZ - Upgrades to Polaris Business, United Business, or United First (excepting GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades)
RN - Upgrades to Premium Plus

Points earning for all upgrades is based on the originally purchased fare. Also see below.

Upgrades Note that upgraded flights will post to your MileagePlus statement as Z(X) where the second letter (X) is the original booking class. The parenthetical letter defines the earning rate for the flight as points are earned based on the original booking class.
Print Wikipost

Old May 5, 17, 10:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by havall View Post
Thank you.

I wondered about the part behind "/" (which I have not seen before) and also whether there is a way to find anything more about the fare itself.
The "/" designiates a special, private, unpublished fare -- hence even the subscription services (EF, KVS, .. ) will not have access to the unpublished fare. How did you obtain this ticket? You will need to call UA or the ticket purchaser to get more details.
Old May 5, 17, 1:45 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The "/" designiates a special, private, unpublished fare -- hence even the subscription services (EF, KVS, .. ) will not have access to the unpublished fare. How did you obtain this ticket? You will need to call UA or the ticket purchaser to get more details.
Here's the story: In mid-January, I made an online booking on UA's website for a two-passenger TPAC R/T in W for travel in May, at a total cost of ~$3000 + 4 GPUs (that never cleared). A few days before the departure, with business class sold out (according to the United Flight Status Tool), I decided to poke around on Momondo and alike (for the first time, actually) and found a too-good-to-be-true offer on the same itinerary/flights in business for a total of $5000. I decided to give it a chance...

Well, it took me a couple more days to be comfortable enough to cancel the original booking, because the reservation process was "interesting" to say the least. The reservation took about 12 hours to process (from payment to ticket issuance) and my credit card was charged for the quoted amount but for different ticket numbers than the ones I was ultimately issued (the ticket numbers that posted to my credit card were with correct passenger names but with voided coupons). The tickets that were charged to my credit card were in fare class PLW0ZMC3 and the ones I was ultimately given in PLW0ZMC3/TZA2 (hence my initial question here). The issuing agent on the tickets I used was different from the issuing agent on the tickets that were charged to my credit card.

Since the whole process was new to me (I typically book with the airlines directly), I wanted to learn a bit more about what actually happened. Also, I know it's silly of me to think this way, but it actually makes me a bit sad that there is this secondary market that allows one to purchase TPAC business class seats on relatively full flights within a week of departure at such a price (UA's website was pricing business at 2 to 3 times the fare I found on Momondo)...
Old May 5, 17, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Here's the story: ...
Sounds like a bulk/consolidator fare.Your earning rates on that ticket might not be what you were expecting.
Old May 5, 17, 3:08 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Sounds like a bulk/consolidator fare.Your earning rates on that ticket might not be what you were expecting.
I'm not too worried about mileage accrual as the tickets are for my parents-in-law (who earn miles with another *A carrier but generally don't care too much about that) but I'll be curious to check once the miles post.

One positive thing about the fare (if in fact it is a bulk/consolidator fare) is that it gave me no trouble with upgrading into open ON space.
Old May 5, 17, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Also, I know it's silly of me to think this way, but it actually makes me a bit sad that there is this secondary market that allows one to purchase TPAC business class seats on relatively full flights within a week of departure at such a price (UA's website was pricing business at 2 to 3 times the fare I found on Momondo)...
The last time I was in FRA I noticed a couple of counters that were advertising "Last minute airline tickets". I didn't stop to ask but wondered if they were travel agents or some other type of ticket agent.
Old May 5, 17, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
I didn't stop to ask but wondered if they were travel agents or some other type of ticket agent.
What's the difference?
Old May 5, 17, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
What's the difference?
I have no clue. Is everybody that sells a ticket a travel agent? I am open for education.
Old Nov 28, 17, 1:53 pm

Fare Code Confusion

I couldn't find much on fare codes, so I'm asking here. I have a fare code listed as YN which is confusing me when I'm trying to identify the carry on limits. N is the basic economy but Y is a full fare? These are mileage award codes but does the Y override the N when it comes to the carry on restrictions. Same issue on our return flight. We are traveling XN which also an award code, but X is some sort of saverpass and I'm not sure how that matches up with the basic economy restrictions.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 29, 17 at 11:07 am Reason: merged into master thread
Old Nov 28, 17, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by pigglet27 View Post
I couldn't find much on fare codes, so I'm asking here. I have a fare code listed as YN which is confusing me when I'm trying to identify the carry on limits. N is the basic economy but Y is a full fare? These are mileage award codes but does the Y override the N when it comes to the carry on restrictions. Same issue on our return flight. We are traveling XN which also an award code, but X is some sort of saverpass and I'm not sure how that matches up with the basic economy restrictions.
YN is full-fare award Economy (elite Everyday Award). XN is an elite Saver Award.

Both of these fares are regular Economy fares, and are not Basic Economy nor carry any such restrictions. The use of the letter N is nothing more than coincidence.
pigglet27 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pigglet27 View Post
YN is Standard/Everyday awards from elite/credit cardmember accounts; XN is Saver awards for the same accounts. Neither is Basic Economy, so you’ll get your full allowance.

UA has more than 26 fare codes, so they allocate IN, ON, XN, YN, HN, RN, JN, and ZN for internal use for certain award / upgrade travel. They’re entirely separate from the Basic Economy N fares.
pigglet27 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 17, 11:55 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AS MVPG, AA EXP, UA silver, Hyatt Exp, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
I am fairly new to UA, still flying DL mostly. I only buy first class tickets, or so I thought. Was on a P fare yesterday during the ATL snow mess. UC rebooked me in First on DL, DL said no, it is full fare coach. Called the UA gold line, they said I bought a coach fare. DL used to pull this stunt, but has since clarified that a first class ticket is truly a first class ticket. My question is this, how does UA handle these situations normally, is a first class ticket truly a first class ticket, and was the agent wrong or was the issue rebooking on DL?
Old Dec 9, 17, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by maizeandblue96 View Post
I am fairly new to UA, still flying DL mostly. I only buy first class tickets, or so I thought. Was on a P fare yesterday during the ATL snow mess. UC rebooked me in First on DL, DL said no, it is full fare coach. Called the UA gold line, they said I bought a coach fare. DL used to pull this stunt, but has since clarified that a first class ticket is truly a first class ticket. My question is this, how does UA handle these situations normally, is a first class ticket truly a first class ticket, and was the agent wrong or was the issue rebooking on DL?
Not sure exactly how UA rebooked you with DL, but with UA a P fare is not a coach fare. Its inventory is often (always?) tied to a coach fare bucket, and some agents get confused, but you should push back if they say it's not a first class ticket.
Old Dec 9, 17, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
UA (and other airlines) sell -UP/UPDI fares, which have fare basis which starts with a traditional economy fare class but is a domestic F fare class (P in this case). UA correctly booked you in an F seat on DL but DL looked at the fare basis (not the fare class) and refused the ticket. This is a confusion that will happen even with some UA agents (as you found out). This normally handled properly but was not in this case.
Old Dec 9, 17, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AS MVPG, AA EXP, UA silver, Hyatt Exp, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
Thanks for the replies. I did push back with the phone agent, but was getting nowhere. And with the ATL mess, DL diamond phone line was 90-120 min wait. For future reference, who do I turn to resolve this? UC said it was first but could not print ticket, told me to check in with DL. DL IT always falls apart during these weather events, so could not check in on the app while at the UC. UC closed early, so turned to UA gold line. Should I have HUCA?
Old Dec 9, 17, 12:35 pm

Thanks for the replies. I did push back with the phone agent, but was getting nowhere. And with the ATL mess, DL diamond phone line was 90-120 min wait. For future reference, who do I turn to resolve this? UC said it was first but could not print ticket, told me to check in with DL. DL IT always falls apart during these weather events, so could not check in on the app while at the UC. UC closed early, so turned to UA gold line. Should I have HUCA?
DL was the problem here and these -UP/UPDI can cause this situation. Other than UA changing the fare basis (not easy to do), you might ask UA to call DL but it is DL's choice to accept the ticket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: