Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Baze
But the program never promised a position on the totem pole. It only promised the 50K level which is what you still get and have. If ANYONE can show me anywhere in any UA documentation that MM promised a position on the totem pole as always second tier I will bow down to you. But it never did, it only promised Premier Executive which is the 50K level and that is still the case, it has just been renamed to Premier Gold.
You didn't see any documentation promising a particular tier from the top because that was never prmised. Unfortunately, some of the wishful thinkers around here have chosen to put a good chunk of their efforts toward pursuing things that are clearly not going to change (like Gold for 1MM) instead of things that there are at least reasonable arguments for (like spouse vs. CR-1).
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:23 pm

one-time adjustment on united side

"...however, we will make a one-time adjustment on the United side to boost everyone’s lifetime earnings to EQMs dating back to the beginning of the program."

what does this one-time adjustment mean? what are all of the activities that will count toward this one-time adjustment?
bonus miles, credit card purchases, etc.???
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by EMAW
I think that a major issue for those of us who were pre Jan 2012 UA Million Mile flyers remains the downgrade of status by one tier. We were in fact, among other things, promised Lifetime Premier Executive status which was (not counting GS) the second highest tier available. Now that PE no longer exists, we have been reclassified as Premier Gold and have been essentially downgraded by one level. Continental Infinite Elites with a pretty low threshold have been granted lifetime 1K status and pre Jan 2012 2MM have been given lifetime RCC membership so there is clearly a precident for recognition of the need to grandfather benefits to some. However, the 1MM people have not been given the same consideration. Hopefully this is merely an oversight that will be corrected.

Lifetime 1K for people who may have flown as little as 50K miles for 5 consecutive years seems to be somewhat discriminatory in terms of preference to PMCO people. Beginning in the early 1990's I attained 1K status for 13 of 14 years with 9 of those being consecutive. Although this would seem to have had more value to UACO than 5 yrs of 50k for a PMCO customer, lifetime 1k status was never offered and I do not expect it. But I do think, as many have suggested, that Premier Platinum status, which is somewhat closer to our prior benefit level, should be granted to those of us who attained 1MM status prior to January. For that matter, it would be fine with me if those Continental people and others who went over 1 MM after the credit of partner and EQM's were given this status. However, the real issue is that UACO has chosen to grant lifetime benefits and enhancements to some without consideration to those of us who attained MM status under the previous rules and with the promises offered at the time.

By the way, my lifetime miles increased by only 65,000 on Jan 1 which is about what I expected due to the fact that I gave virtually all of my business to UA over the past 20 years. I would think that this probably meets the goal a "loyalty program". I do know that should what seems to be unfair treatment of PMUA 1MM people is not rectified, I will probably begin to look at other carriers who may offer better pricing or schedules and should AA offer a status match for UA people they will definitely get some of my business.
I'm almost identical to you in your flying patterns, loyalty to United, and thoughts. Thanks for posting this.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: UAL
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[Here are the n]ew lifetime benefits [and] we think you’ll agree this is the most generous lifetime program in the world. The following will take effect next spring (so please hold tight until then):
  • Continental and United lifetime earnings will be combined. You all guessed that much, but the key will be how we do it. Continental’s lifetime earnings have been EQM-based, and United’s have been based on actual flight miles. Starting in 2012, the program will be based on actual flight miles, however, we will make a one-time adjustment on the United side to boost everyone’s lifetime earnings to EQMs dating back to the beginning of the program
  • Lifetime premier benefits for 1 million miles = Premier Gold, 2 million = Premier Platinum, 3 million = Premier 1K, 4 million = Global Services
  • Million milers will be able to designate a spouse or significant other to always have the same premier tier as them (this includes when the million miler member earns a higher tier). The spousal premier benefits will be identical as the member, except they will not include RPUs and GPUs. This spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal
  • Continental’s Infinite Elite members (the limited few of you that earned this back in the early 90’s) will be grandfathered in and given lifetime Premier 1K status, but without the GPUs. We hope you’ll agree this is a generous resolution

Thanks as always for your feedback, and we look forward to answering your questions.

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines
As someone who would have hit 2MM this year I was really ticked to find out I don't get RCL for life - in fact I get nothing at all - just some new garbage status that is essentially premier exec for life which I got at 1 MM. Mr. O'leary this change will loose UA customers and lets hope it will loose you your job! DELTA here I Come.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gum1k
As someone who would have hit 2MM this year I was really ticked to find out I don't get RCL for life - in fact I get nothing at all - just some new garbage status that is essentially premier exec for life which I got at 1 MM. Mr. O'leary this change will loose UA customers and lets hope it will loose you your job! DELTA here I Come.
At 2MM you don't get Nothing. You will be Platinum for life which waives a lot of fees that Gold will still have to pay. You are guaranteed at least 2 CR-1's which Gold does not get. You are higher on the upgrade list ahead of all the Golds. But yes, you do lose the lifetime RCC. How close are you to 2MM (before the adjustment) Been a few on FT that were close and wrote to MP and got the lifetime RCC grandfather as they were close enough. In some ways 2MM is worse, in some ways better than the old.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
You are guaranteed at least 2 CR-1's which Gold does not get.
Is that true?? I thought that the "lifetime" status tiers DIDNT get the benefits associated with those who earned it by "flying".

I may have missed something, I am sure.

Dave
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
You didn't see any documentation promising a particular tier from the top because that was never prmised. Unfortunately, some of the wishful thinkers around here have chosen to put a good chunk of their efforts toward pursuing things that are clearly not going to change (like Gold for 1MM) instead of things that there are at least reasonable arguments for (like spouse vs. CR-1).
Well technically, we were promised Premier Executive® for life, and I quote from the email I was sent years ago when I crossed the 1MM BIS mark:
Dear Pat89339,

There is no doubt that you are one of our very best customers, and we sincerely thank you for your loyalty to United. We will continue to make every effort to exceed your highest expectations every time you fly with us.
With your new Million Mile status comes some well-earned perks. You'll be receiving with our compliments:

Once again, congratulations upon reaching this impressive milestone. It’s our privilege to serve you.
        Continue to fly United and earn even more rewards!
        The links in the email no longer work, of course, so I cannot comment on what was mentioned about the 1P status at that time. Following the statement that we weren't promised second tier status, we were also promised a Status that no longer exists. Now what does that mean?
        Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:16 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bseller
        Is that true?? I thought that the "lifetime" status tiers DIDNT get the benefits associated with those who earned it by "flying".

I may have missed something, I am sure.

Dave
        It was posted by Shannon in post 494 of this thread that 2MM's will receive 2 CR-1's annually unless they already earned them from flying. So if you got 2 for hitting 75K during the year you won't get the annual 2 but if you don't do the 75K you will get 2, so you are guaranteed to get at least 2 every year. And the 3MM are guaranteed 6 SWU's. Same deal, will get them if don't fly the 100K to earn them but won't get them if already got them for 100K. So guaranteed at least 6 every year.
        Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339

snip snip

Following the statement that we weren't promised second tier status, we were also promised a Status that no longer exists. Now what does that mean?
              "Now what does that mean?"

It means that the new UA management appears to care very little about the UA side of the frequent flyer program, discriminates against widowed versus married customers and shows favoritism to the Continental side of the frequent flyer program by awarding lifetime 1K status to certain Continental passengers that flew (in some cases) only 250,000 miles total.

That's what it means.
              -

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Jan 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm Reason: spelling
              Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
              Originally Posted by jetsetr
              Congrats! Yes, Shannon said that if you were a MM under the pre-12/31/2011 bump, that 01/01/2012 would be the last deposit of CR-1s.
              I probably missed that confirmation. It wasn't the bump that got me there (made my MM the hard way a couple years ago).
              Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
              Originally Posted by Pat89339
              Well technically, we were promised Premier Executive® for life, and I quote from the email I was sent years ago...
              +1

I do wish people would stop repeating that erroneous claim that MMs were promised 50k-level status, when we were really promised PE. One could argue that we were promised second-from-the-top status just as easily as claims that Infinite Elites were promised top-level status, rather than the 50k-level that they were also originally awarded.
              Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by joel67

+1

I do wish people would stop repeating that erroneous claim that MMs were promised 50k-level status, when we were really promised PE. One could argue that we were promised second-from-the-top status just as easily as claims that Infinite Elites were promised top-level status, rather than the 50k-level that they were also originally awarded.
              -
              Bravo!

The voice of reason speaks loud and clear.
              -
              Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:01 pm
              FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
              But the program never promised a position on the totem pole. It only promised the 50K level which is what you still get and have. If ANYONE can show me anywhere in any UA documentation that MM promised a position on the totem pole as always second tier I will bow down to you. But it never did, it only promised Premier Executive which is the 50K level and that is still the case, it has just been renamed to Premier Gold.
              There's no "promised" documentation for CO Infinite Plats either, is there? Apparently doesn't have to be in order to choose which population gets what status level.
              Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; QF VA CI KL KE
              Going over the 1MM mark with the bump has made me 1P and it is showing that on the UA website. ... So you may want to check your status on UA again. If the UA miles show over 1MM then you should be 1P.
              I was wondering if you had just hoped for 1P now, which is why I responded as I did. Looks like UA don't like me ??? Here's what my status looks like via the Australian web site:

Account number: 001*******
              Membership level: Member
              Current redeemable miles balance: 14,379
              Year to date Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) 0
              Year to date Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS) 0
              Lifetime United flight miles: 1,143,878
              Redeemable miles expiration date: 28 Feb, 2013

Via the US web site it says the same thing in a quite different format.

Furthermore, when I click on www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion I get:

"You are not eligible to designate a companion as elite, since you are not a Million Miler."

So I have the numbers, but not the status. I wonder how I can try to get this fixed, or do I just have to wait???

Update: I rang the Australian MP number (in ?Philippines) and spoke to a helpful rep who said he would follow up with "head office" and get back to me.

Thanks Baze, for confirming your status update already

Last edited by bnebased; Jan 3, 2012 at 3:57 pm Reason: update
              Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:04 pm
              FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
              Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
              Originally Posted by joel67
              +1

Yes -- you are crrect. You were promised Premier Executive, a status that no longer exists because it has been renamed to and maps to Premier Gold. I can certainly see how some claim that as the second tier status it maps to Premier Platinum in the new program. Anyone who actually looks at the requirements of these levels, however, from outside the haze of Million-Miler rose-colored glasses, can see what UA intended -- that Premier Executive in the old program maps to Premier Gold in the new one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.