Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:02 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Originally Posted by oenophilist
I think people are forgetting what the big benefit to lifetime status is: that you can maintain a certain elite level after you stop flying as often, or during flying dry spells. To me, this is the most important aspect of the entire MM program. The one-time and annual awards were just gravy.
Exactly. Priority boarding, the overhead actually above your seat, some of the things you were used to when you were a good, paying customer. The Premier security line. And the fact that *G really does mean something in a lot of places. Those are the kind of things that will have made it worthwhile in a time that will seem to have arrived much faster than many realize.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:09 am

wakeup call

in the dark days, a lot of employees lost their pensions in numerous companies, and the dark days are here again...beggars can't be choosers, despite what some european citizens hope for... dead lucky the whole thing hasnt gone down the plughole of life.
personally i think they've done extremely well to sort it out...now we just have to hope the whole thing wasnt a pipe dream, like the welfare state, or universal health care
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nor4
In looking over the list of benefits of being a Premier Gold as a 1MM flyer next year, I found the following benefits and missing benefits to be most telling for me.

1. CPUs - which will be very difficult to redeem unless one remains a 1K, so I'm not too excited.
2. No RPUs or GPUs as in the past for 1MM - the biggest disappointment for me. Probably a game changer for me. Having them would actually cause me to fly United MORE rather than less.
3. 50% mileage bonus instead of 100% currently. A significant downgrade but not a deal breaker.
4. 500 mile minimum PQM accrual, a plus, but pretty minimal plus.
5. More availability of Saver Awards, a plus, but not in F/C, a minus.
6. $25 fee for close-in and award change fee. A real negative.
7. $100 award redeposit fee. What justifies this? Another big negative.
8. International flights lounge access - but I have this through lifetime CO lounge access, but a big plus otherwise.
9. Access to E+ at booking, a real plus.
10. No fee same day flight change, a real plus.
11. $25 phone service fee - a major negative, especially given the .com problems
12. No dedicated phone line. Double trouble to pay to talk to ICC. Insult to injury. A deal breaker for me.
13. And finally, at number lucky 13, the spousal benefit. No use to me at all and not having the choice to get RPUs and GPUs instead, is the most irritating "big brother" move by United. Probably more than anything the one thing that pushes me out of my 1K habit with UA. Perhaps I should thank them.
I think you are missing a couple biggies for me, particularly related to *A gold.

14. Priority check-in, including at *A partners. This is HUGE for me.
15. Access to *A partner lounges. Another massive benefit, especially when there are irrops and you need to talk to a rep from the partner company quickly.
16. Priority baggage. This is hit or miss, because half the time they don't pay attention to the priority. But just two weeks ago I was able to avoid a 6 hour layover on an international connection because my bags came out first in customs, and I was able to get onto an earlier flight. ^
17. Additional baggage allowance on UA/CO and *A carriers. Another HUGE one here. I recall a flight from South Africa, where the person in front of me was arguing with the check-in desk about having to pay addition for their extra bag. And the cost was substantial. They took one look at my *A gold status and didn't hesitate to take on my additional baggage at no charge.
18. Overall treatment from *A carriers. I have a friend that works for TAM, and the view there is that *A Gold travelers should always be treated better than the rest. I've had upgrades, better service, etc. as a result of being *A Gold.

All of these are what I am looking forward to without having to worry about whether I make an additional trip or two to cross the 1P barrier. I'll agree that the 50% reduction in bonus hurts, and the other big one that I don't like is the lack of access to additional saver for F/C, which is where I use most of my reward redemption.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Spouse's tier matches my annual or lifetime tier?

Originally Posted by UA Insider
[Here are the n]ew lifetime benefits [and] we think you’ll agree this is the most generous lifetime program in the world. The following will take effect next spring (so please hold tight until then):
  • Continental and United lifetime earnings will be combined. You all guessed that much, but the key will be how we do it. Continental’s lifetime earnings have been EQM-based, and United’s have been based on actual flight miles. Starting in 2012, the program will be based on actual flight miles, however, we will make a one-time adjustment on the United side to boost everyone’s lifetime earnings to EQMs dating back to the beginning of the program
  • Lifetime premier benefits for 1 million miles = Premier Gold, 2 million = Premier Platinum, 3 million = Premier 1K, 4 million = Global Services
  • Million milers will be able to designate a spouse or significant other to always have the same premier tier as them (this includes when the million miler member earns a higher tier). The spousal premier benefits will be identical as the member, except they will not include RPUs and GPUs. This spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal
  • Continental’s Infinite Elite members (the limited few of you that earned this back in the early 90’s) will be grandfathered in and given lifetime Premier 1K status, but without the GPUs. We hope you’ll agree this is a generous resolution

Thanks as always for your feedback, and we look forward to answering your questions.

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines
I'm confused by the part I've bolded, especially whether "higher tier" means higher lifetime tier or higher annual tier. I think that I will be over 2MM after the EQMs are added. This will make me a lifetime Premier Platinum. I am flying enough this year to make 1K again for 2012. My question: Does this mean that my wife, who otherwise would be Premier Gold, will be Premier Platinum (my lifetime tier) in 2012? Or will she be 1K (my annual tier)?

I saw at least a couple of questions to this effect earlier in the thread, but having looked through numerous (but not all) pages I haven't seen an answer.

Thanks for any clarification.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm confused by the part I've bolded, especially whether "higher tier" means higher lifetime tier or higher annual tier. I think that I will be over 2MM after the EQMs are added. This will make me a lifetime Premier Platinum. I am flying enough this year to make 1K again for 2012. My question: Does this mean that my wife, who otherwise would be Premier Gold, will be Premier Platinum (my lifetime tier) in 2012? Or will she be 1K (my annual tier)?

I saw at least a couple of questions to this effect earlier in the thread, but having looked through numerous (but not all) pages I haven't seen an answer.

Thanks for any clarification.
The way it works now at One Pass is that the spouse or partner matches whatever status the primary member has. I assume it ould be the same.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:40 am
Dub

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM
Originally Posted by oenophilist
I think people are forgetting what the big benefit to lifetime status is: that you can maintain a certain elite level after you stop flying as often, or during flying dry spells. To me, this is the most important aspect of the entire MM program. The one-time and annual awards were just gravy.
I understand this sentiment, but I like gravy! All kidding aside, the spousal benefit is useless to me and I want UA to reconsider and make it spousal status OR annual upgrades. Guess I will have to write to them. Again.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:56 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GoingAway
- bummer you got 50% for some flights, but there are plenty of fare codes, etc situations on both sides where sub 100% eqm are posted, that isn't changing with the one time adjustment. If you got eqm - any - that will now go into the lfetime figure on the UA calc, thats all. With CO, that 50% is already counted, so yes you would be and are ahead of the game.
I don't know of any fare code or situation where a UA flyer got less than 1 mile credit toward MM status for 1 mile BIS on UA ticket/UA metal. For CO flyers, it was a distinct possibility they only received 1/2 mile credit (EQM under CO's scheme) per BIS mile, depending on fare basis and where the ticket was purchased. It's great for UA flyers (and with more than 1.2 million BIS miles on UA, I'm one of them) to get this one time upward adjustment, but I find it ironic that there may be CO flyers who will be credited with fewer EQMs than actual BIS miles (and I believe I fall in this category, too) when the numbers are combined. I think it's unfortunate the new airline appears to be unwilling to offer the CO flyers even the baseline of 1 mile BIS equals 1 mile toward MM status.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: Continental
Optimally it would be great if you can choose which you want from year to year.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by skj
I don't know of any fare code or situation where a UA flyer got less than 1 mile credit toward MM status for 1 mile BIS on UA ticket/UA metal. For CO flyers, it was a distinct possibility they only received 1/2 mile credit (EQM under CO's scheme) per BIS mile, depending on fare basis and where the ticket was purchased. ....
While not quite the same, in the TED days UA flights did not receive 500 mile mins -- beleive once the 500 mile mins were created, all CO flights were covered.

I sure there are other inequalities, such as
The earning for some partners were different depending on if credited to MP or OP
or
When CO / UA were in different alliances, such as an UA flyer on NW got no credit but a CO flyer did, and there are examples from the CO side.

Considering all of these as second order effects, the new proposal has done a reasonable job of the first order effects (the BIS approach of UA versus the EQM approach of CO). While adjusting some of the second order effects might make this "fairer" (a subjective measure) for some elites, the proposed solution is a good balance in addressing the larger issues and the amount of effort UA/CO need to do to "adjust" the past program differences.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, cattle-class with many others
Sanity check for an "almost" 1MM on CO?

All, I've waded through this thread carefully over the last few days, and just want to validate something. I will end this year with at least 980K lifetime CO miles, and could possibly get to 1MM. I had previously thought I'd need to work this carefully, but it now appears to me there is NO REASON for me to stretch (mileage run, etc.) for the 1MM goal this calendar year.

Am I missing ANYTHING in this conclusion?

I will hit it next year easily, even without my whopping ~3,500 lifetimes miles on UA classic.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TallTexan
All, I've waded through this thread carefully over the last few days, and just want to validate something. I will end this year with at least 980K lifetime CO miles, and could possibly get to 1MM. I had previously thought I'd need to work this carefully, but it now appears to me there is NO REASON for me to stretch (mileage run, etc.) for the 1MM goal this calendar year.

Am I missing ANYTHING in this conclusion?

I will hit it next year easily, even without my whopping ~3,500 lifetimes miles on UA classic.
Assuming your status in 2012 is equal to or better then Gold/1P and the spousal benefit in 2012 is of no value to you (or did CO provide that mid-year?), then your conclusion is probably OK.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Agree, write UA.

Originally Posted by hockey7711
Optimally it would be great if you can choose which you want from year to year.
I agree. I just sent UA an email asking that this option be provided. I suggest anybody interested in this also write them. They are actually interested in feedback, so they say.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by cranford
in the dark days, a lot of employees lost their pensions in numerous companies, and the dark days are here again...beggars can't be choosers, despite what some european citizens hope for... dead lucky the whole thing hasnt gone down the plughole of life.
personally i think they've done extremely well to sort it out...now we just have to hope the whole thing wasnt a pipe dream, like the welfare state, or universal health care
+1 ^

Originally Posted by NJBeav
I had earned a bunch of miles in the triple mileage in the post strike time in the 1980s. For some of greybeards I wonder how that was included in UA's lifetime calculations
That was in 1985 after the strike in May of that year. I recall it well! But I also recall that it was just RDM, not EQM. Of course, the concept of EQM did not even exist back then. Everything was just BIS or RDM.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2
That was in 1985 after the strike in May of that year. I recall it well! But I also recall that it was just RDM, not EQM. Of course, the concept of EQM did not even exist back then. Everything was just BIS or RDM.
When did United start using EQM?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:42 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by SAN 1K
Possible but I think that GS/1K detail would have been announced if true.
In terms of the number of GS members and/or "protecting" the program, bear in mind that very few families have two road-warrior spouses. The number must be absolutely minuscule. My spouse, as an example, only flies around 12 segments per year so there's really little issue of competition from her.
On the other hand, I do agree that the program (as rolled out in this announcement) is really a downgrade for singles.
Yes, but in 2012 the # of GSes traveling in a given day will undoubtedly be 50-75% higher than 2011 and this new program will probably be responsible for 5-10% of that... The impact won't be huge by any means, but it will have a subtle impact and it will be hard for UA to differentiate between the actual earned GS customers and the "given" GS customers.

Don't get me wrong, by earning GS status you do deserve to have your significant other to have GS status, I am just a little concerned about how they will PROTECT the exclusivity of the program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.