Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by Nevsky
"How to earn Million Miler lifetime status.
Starting January 1, 2012, flight miles on the new United (including Continental), Copa Airlines or Copa Airlines Colombia will accrue toward Million Miler status. Until that time, MileagePlus and OnePass members will continue to earn toward status and benefits in their respective programs."

Unless I missed this in the thread, there has been no discussion of earning MM miles in the future. Does this mean that only UA and COPA miles will accrue toward Million Miler status and that flights on other *A carriers will not? Will UA and COPA bonus EQMs count?
It sounds like after the one-time "boost" of UA lifetime BIS miles to EQMs (so they can be combined more or less on "par" with those of CO lifetime EQMs), future earning will be BIS only. No *A flights. No class of service bonus. No double EQMs. No fare class bonus. Just butt in seat miles. Just like has been the case for UA.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
sorry if i missed this but until exactly when are eqm on star eligible to count?
still eligible til programmes are merged in spring or til end of yr?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Thanks. Also, what is the definition of PQM/PQS? Do they include *A miles/segments? Is that discussed anywhere?
PQM/PQS are exactly the same as EQM/EQS.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
It sounds like after the one-time "boost" of UA lifetime BIS miles to EQMs (so they can be combined more or less on "par" with those of CO lifetime EQMs), future earning will be BIS only. No *A flights. No class of service bonus. No double EQMs. No fare class bonus. Just butt in seat miles. Just like has been the case for UA.
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
PQM/PQS are exactly the same as EQM/EQS.

This is an important difference. If *A flights do not count, that is a major negative for CO flyers.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kluau88
I just sent an email in regarding my disappointment in how the new UA is treating loyalty.

In short how do you consider someone with 1MM+ EQM (maybe earned via CC bonuses or flying on other *A metal) loyal to United. Yes they might be loyal to Mileage Plus but not to United if you ask me. 1MM+ BIS in seat on UA/UX is what I consider loyal.

I guess we now will have MM-lites come January 1, 2012.
Look, drop the "loyalty" talk for a minute and think rationally. There are two programs with different ways of granting MM credit. You need to harmonize them.

Option A is to give MM credit for all EQM, which gives a "bonus" to all UA flyers, and a bigger one to those who have also used other *A carriers.

Option B would be to retroactively subtract MM credit for CO flyers non-CO/UA EQM and bonus miles.

(Option C would be to scrap the whole thing, make up new rules, and start everybody at zero.)

If you're angry because some people are getting something you're not (that's basically what this is about, right?) just imagine how angry somebody would be to see their MM count go down - in some cases, significantly - given the fact that at the time those flights were chosen, they were told they would count.

There was no perfect solution here. The only way to harmonize the two programs would be to either subtract miles from CO fliers who were told they'd be getting them, or add miles to UA fliers who were told they wouldn't. Sometimes the path of least resistance makes the most sense.

If you in the past chose to fly UA instead of another *A carrier in order to get BIS for MM status, and now you're angry because you could have flown another carrier, I'm sorry, but that's your problem. You still got credit for CR-1s. More importantly, as it regards BIS / MM status, you were making day-to-day decisions towards what is for most people at least a five if not ten (or twenty) year goal, in the context of a program that has the right to change its rules as it sees fit, in an industry where bankruptcies and mergers are endemic. At the end of the day, you got exactly what you were told you would get, and you're getting a bump up; those who have flown more *A are getting a little bigger bump up. This isn't about UA devaluing "loyalty" - it is, quite frankly, the only rational solution. On top of that, future earnings are again based on the old UA BIS method - suggesting that UA does, indeed, view "loyalty" as it relates to lifetime MM status the same way you do.

Last edited by danBfree; Sep 22, 2011 at 2:41 pm
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
This is an important difference. If *A flights do not count, that is a major negative for CO flyers.
Not sure why you quoted my post. *A flights will no longer count for lifetime status, but will still count for annual status (just to avoid confusing anyone). While this is a negative towards earning lifetime status for PMCO flyers, the flip side is that flying 1mm miles on UA/CO/CM will now get you gold instead of silver, which is a major positive for PMCO flyers.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Trying to understand the CR-1 situation:

1MM = no more (annual) CR-1s
2MM = 2 CR1s, as this is the equivalent of the new Premier Platinum level.

So, while the 2 CR1-s are gone for 1MMs, they're still there for 2MMs, at least as long as this benefit is offered to PremPlats. At least, that is the way I understand this.
I don't think so. Only people who earn PP annually will get the 2 RPUs.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Not major negative to CO flyers, only a major negative to *A flyers. Actually it is a plus for CO flyers, only 1 MM on CO flights to get lifetime Gold instead of 2 MM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It will just be new UA flights that add to Lifetime totals starting in 2012. No *A.

Not sure I see this a major negative for CO flyers since the thresholds have been lowered. Use to take 2MM PMCO lifetime miles to get Gold, now just 1MM. So unless CO flights were less than 1/2 of your flying you are better off got achiving lifetime Gold. For CO elites, Lifetime Plat is now 2 MM and not 3MM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: their are many of them
my thoughts and prayers to those of who have reached this level of flying you have officaly spent way too much time on an Airplane.

I love the qoutes from good friends and family friends who have attianed Million Miles or more

my favorite quote is" i spend my life on a plane , i mean sure flying is fun but you don't want this you spend way too much of your time in the air it is awful and your at the mercy of the airlines, i don't wish this upon anybody"

lol
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
I don't think so. Only people who earn PP annually will get the 2 RPUs.
In this case, this would translate into a difference between regular 1Ks and 3MM 1Ks as well, whereas the latter will get 6 SWUs, but no 4 RPUs. Would like to have this cleared up by UA.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by goalie
I'm totally confused as to how this will work as other than one codeshare CDG-LHR, all of my 725,859 lifetime miles have been BIS on United. So what are they talking about that will/could bump up lifetime miles? COS bonus (either paid or IRROPS re-bookings)? DEQM'S? Credit card spends? Or am I hosed?
that is the way I read it -- making UA pre-2012 lifetime metric that same as CO lifetime metric. CO's metric includes all of the above, so it makes sense the adjusted UA metric will include the same.

The announcement seems to say they will adjust the UA lifetime metric to be the same as the CO lifetime metric. But then only BIS will be used for travel in 2012 and beyond.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Originally Posted by goalie
I'm totally confused as to how this will work as other than one codeshare CDG-LHR, all of my 725,859 lifetime miles have been BIS on United. So what are they talking about that will/could bump up lifetime miles? COS bonus (either paid or IRROPS re-bookings)? DEQM'S? Credit card spends? Or am I hosed?
I answered this same post already!

- *A flights
- COS bonii
- D/TEQM
- credit card EQM
- old Elite Choice awards

A not-insignificant total for someone who flys some paid C fares, likes to fly other *A carriers, did well with the DEQM, gets 10K annually on the Plat Visa (ok, this describes me)
Thank you both ^ and if that holds true to form, based on looking at my spreadsheets from 2004-2011*, it looks like i'm gong to get roughly an extra 180k which will put me just 94-95k short of 1MM

*Took my total EQM's for each year, subtracted out the actual flight miles for that year and added the differences to come up with roughly 180k
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, and some others
CO (esp. when in Skyteam) Partners often yielded 50% EQM

It's good that United BIS will be converted to EQM so miles originating there may increase.

However, it brings back memories of all the times I have gotten 0%, 25%, or 50% EQM when flying on Continental partners - especially in the past. I wish they would convert those EQM < 100% into BIS as well.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
As someone who benefits tremendously from the spouse/SO benefit I think it's great. And remember the regional upgrades were a holdover from before the unlimited domestic upgrades were available. Since I fly mostly domestic non ps routes the unlimited upgrades give me many more upgrades IN TOTAL than the old PMUA system.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by stimpy
First of all, I don't think we have established that credit card bonuses count, have we? Secondly, if I book a United flight from LAX to FRA, and that flight happens to be on LH metal, why shouldn't it count towards my MM status? If I were un-loyal to United, I would have booked directly with LH. And if United wanted me to be on their metal, they would operate an LAX-FRA flight. But they don't.
Stimpy this is from united.com regarding MP updates for 2012.

Currently, MileagePlus and OnePassŪ track lifetime activity differently: MileagePlus counts only base EQM (actual flight miles on United and United Express), while OnePass counts both base EQM and bonus EQM (those earned on partner airlines, or through promotions or credit cards).

To bring everyone to the same starting point, on December 31, 2011, we will recalculate MileagePlus lifetime miles balances to include both base EQM and bonus EQM. This means the lifetime miles balance will either increase or remain the same.
As for a UA flight LAXFRA but on LH metal counting. Obviously I am sure UA would want you on their metal, but I guess they came to a financial conclusion that it was more beneficial to codeshare with LH. As for it counting or not counting it seems like whoever is in charge of the MM program thinks it shouldn't count, but they will make a 1 time exception when they merge the systems. The MM programs seem to be a program within the MP program dedicated toward rewarding loyalty to one specific entity (UA/CO). Given how the program will continue to count as BIS going forward this justifies that notion.

Originally Posted by danBfree
Look, drop the "loyalty" talk for a minute and think rationally. There are two programs with different ways of granting MM credit. You need to harmonize them.

Option A is to give MM credit for all EQM, which gives a "bonus" to all UA flyers, and a bigger one to those who have also used other *A carriers.

Option B would be to retroactively subtract MM credit for CO flyers non-CO/UA EQM and bonus miles.

(Option C would be to scrap the whole thing, make up new rules, and start everybody at zero.)

If you're angry because some people are getting something you're not (that's basically what this is about, right?) just imagine how angry somebody would be to see their MM count go down - in some cases, significantly - given the fact that at the time those flights were chosen, they were told they would count.

There was no perfect solution here. The only way to harmonize the two programs would be to either subtract miles from CO fliers who were told they'd be getting them, or add miles to UA fliers who were told they wouldn't. Sometimes the path of least resistance makes the most sense.

If you in the past chose to fly UA instead of another *A carrier in order to get BIS for MM status, and now you're angry because you could have flown another carrier, I'm sorry, but that's your problem. You still got credit for CR-1s. More importantly, as it regards BIS / MM status, you were making day-to-day decisions towards what is for most people at least a five if not ten (or twenty) year goal, in the context of a program that has the right to change its rules as it sees fit, in an industry where bankruptcies and mergers are endemic. At the end of the day, you got exactly what you were told you would get, and you're getting a bump up; those who have flown more *A are getting a little bigger bump up. This isn't about UA devaluing "loyalty" - it is, quite frankly, the only rational solution. On top of that, future earnings are again based on the old UA BIS method - suggesting that UA does, indeed, view "loyalty" as it relates to lifetime MM status the same way you do.
Actually I will be qualifying for MM under the old terms in about a month. For the past 8 years I have chosen to fly United because the price was right, the schedule worked, and they flew to where I wanted to go. Yes I agree this is a messy situation given how the programs used two different forms of accounting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.