Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1 NOV 2011 HNL-GUM / GUM-NRT goes DOMESTIC 777

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 NOV 2011 HNL-GUM / GUM-NRT goes DOMESTIC 777

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
You go through Guam Customs when you arrive so Guam can get their landing tax for goods brought in.

Guam is located outside of the US Customs zone. That's why you go through US Customs on the way back.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
A citizen of France can fly to Germany without even needing a passport. Do you consider that to be a "domestic" flight?
This is news to me.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:13 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by Hartmann
This is news to me.
They do, however, need their national ID card that proves citizenship to travel. Think of it like one of the new US passport cards, that functions as proof of ID and citizenship but isn't a standard passport.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:01 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Hartmann
This is news to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schenge...ternal_borders

Originally Posted by bpe
They do, however, need their national ID card that proves citizenship to travel. Think of it like one of the new US passport cards, that functions as proof of ID and citizenship but isn't a standard passport.
Other countries' "national ID cards" don't really have a US analogue, because many Americans oppose the idea of registering your identity with the federal government, on grounds of privacy and/or freedom (which is kind of silly, in light of the fact that the Feds already know a bunch of information about most people from the procedures already in place--such as filing tax returns). If an imperfect analogy had to be made, a national ID card is more functionally similar to a Driver's License, or Non-Driver ID, in the U.S.--it provides identification, and is backed by government anti-counterfeiting measures, but is not a passport ("standard" or not) and cannot be used as a substitute on any travel that actually requires a passort.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Get over it. Your precious UA is changing dnt like too bad.
This comment is illogical, unresponsive to anything I have written, and, frankly--inappropriate. Why do this?

Tht flight has always been marketed as an international flight, onboard service has always been internatnational. Jus bcuz there using a dumpy UA domestic 777 on this rte dnt mean it's a domestic flight.
If anything, this is a downgrade to PMCO, not PMUA, since this route is a legacy CO route--so it doesn't have anything to do with anyone's "precious UA is changing dnt like too bad."

And to me anytime someone has to clear immigrations or customs it's considered an international flight.
Again, are you just saying that it is "considered" so by you, or that you believe that UACO (or who?) considers it that way?

If this is what you believe, then please explain whether you think a flight from Frankfurt to Rome is "domestic" because you don't have to go through immigration or customs (and whether LH should be allowed to deny *G lounge access to UA/US/CO elites because it's "considered" domestic). Or whether a drive from the US to Canada prior to 2004 was a "domestic" trip.

"Do you have to go through customs or immigration" is a different question from "is the trip domestic or international," and while there is much overlap, it's just overlap. No airline that I know of (unless you can think of any) publishes a service standard or upgrade policy based on "do you have to go through customs or immigration."

The point is, if HNL-GUM is operated with a two-cabin plane in a domestic configuration, it's not unreasonable for customers to be disappointed that it's not UDU-eligible, and "it's an international flight" is not even a convincing excuse, because: (1) technically, it's not even international (which is the only point I was making until you started confusing customs with sovereignty), and (2) separately, PMCO does allow UDUs on short-haul international flights within North America and northern South America (even if you have to go through customs and immigration!!! OMG! ), which is another reason why customs/immigration is irrelevant to the question of whether UDU should be allowed on this route, given UACO's policies on UDUs in the rest of its route network.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 22, 2011 at 11:29 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA 1K
is GUM-NRT UDU eligable?

I'm set to fly GUM-NRT-GUM on UA 777 domestic product. When reviewing my reservation on UA.com the "upgrade pending" is not listed. My ticket is issued on CO stock (ie. CO marketed, UA operated) for GUM-NRT-GUM-HNL October 30/31.

Am I out of luck for a UDU on the GUM-NRT segments as well as GUM-HNL - or is this just an anomaly of ticketing on 005 stock?

Last edited by peter.jensen; Oct 26, 2011 at 3:09 pm
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by peter.jensen
I'm set to fly GUM-NRT-GUM on UA 777 domestic product October 30th. When reviewing my reservation on UA.com the "upgrade pending" is not listed. My ticket is issued on CO stock (ie. CO marketed, UA operated) for GUM-NRT-GUM-HNL October 30/31.

Am I out of luck for a UDU on the GUM-NRT segments as well as GUM-HNL - or is this just an anomaly of ticketing on 005 stock?
Can you let us know your experience ? I fly HNL-Guam then Guam NRT PDX two to three times a year.

Thanks I am dreading the downgrade in service and old dirty UA's birds.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm set to fly GUM-NRT-GUM on UA 777 domestic product October 30th. When reviewing my reservation on UA.com the "upgrade pending" is not listed. My ticket is issued on CO stock (ie. CO marketed, UA operated) for GUM-NRT-GUM-HNL October 30/31.

It was historically EUA-able on CO metal (even in the 76H) since August 2006. The announced plans has it as CPU-able when the new plan takes effect next year. This suggests that it should be in the interim. But no guarantees.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
It was historically EUA-able on CO metal (even in the 76H) since August 2006. The announced plans has it as CPU-able when the new plan takes effect next year. This suggests that it should be in the interim. But no guarantees.
The UA reservation agent I spoke with this afternoon lectured me on my geography and that NRT was not considered a "domestic" flight. When I mentioned that CO6 was EUA-able she told me that I would have to call continental to discuss, or consider using a *A upgrade. I think I will wait until I can get to a RCC to discuss this with an agent in person.

I'm curious to see what things will be like for first day operations.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
It would appear that the current rules stand until the end of 2011. I am at the United Club in GUM now and was told no dice on a UDU for either GUM-NRT or NRT-GUM which stinks. The buzz in the lounge seems to be that people are upset by this.

In happier news, using the same new United rules I was able to UDU on the new 777 UA operated GUM-HNL flight I have scheduled to depart later today (the 2012 rules do not allow for CPU.)

We'll see if the answer I get at NRT is any different (but I suspect this will not be the case.)
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:01 pm

Eh. You win some, you lose some...
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium
Just took UA 201 HNL to GUM

I just completed UA 201 from HNL to Guam in Y on a domestic 772. Here is my mini trip report.

Boarding
The inbound flight from ORD was 5 minutes late. There are lots of seat movements. Cleaners and catering were late, so we did not board until 2:20 and left gate 30 minutes late. GA even said there are snack for sale on board, but that was not the case.

There was a confusion and duty free cart was not loaded.

Flight
Biggest drawback is no personal entertainment, a significant downgrade from the "state of the art" entertainment on CO 764. Heard several people making comments on that.

Meals
Still serve 2 free meals just like CO. A round of drink 45 minutes after takeoff. First meal is 1.5 hour after takeoff, lagsana or chicken + salad and bread with plastic utensils. Ice cream at 5 hours into flight (usually 3.5 to 4 hours on CO). Second meal is 1.5 hours before landing, with a ham sandwich and sliced fruit, but no utensils provided. FAs tend to me slower serving meals compared to old CO, maybe they are not used to serve free meals to everyone.

Catering screwed up so no special meals were loaded.

Baggage
Took me 55 minutes after landing to get my luggage. When I got mine, there are still half of people still waiting for theirs. Baggage people said staff are not used to 772.

Overall
GUM is a new route and new destination for UA, they are still working on various issues. Hopefully things will more smoother down the road.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Got UDU Yesterday

I was on GUM-NRT yesterday and got UDU. Plane was about 70% full.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by delayflight
I just completed UA 201 from HNL to Guam in Y on a domestic 772. Here is my mini trip report.

Boarding
The inbound flight from ORD was 5 minutes late. There are lots of seat movements. Cleaners and catering were late, so we did not board until 2:20 and left gate 30 minutes late. GA even said there are snack for sale on board, but that was not the case.

There was a confusion and duty free cart was not loaded.

Flight
Biggest drawback is no personal entertainment, a significant downgrade from the "state of the art" entertainment on CO 764. Heard several people making comments on that.

Meals
Still serve 2 free meals just like CO. A round of drink 45 minutes after takeoff. First meal is 1.5 hour after takeoff, lagsana or chicken + salad and bread with plastic utensils. Ice cream at 5 hours into flight (usually 3.5 to 4 hours on CO). Second meal is 1.5 hours before landing, with a ham sandwich and sliced fruit, but no utensils provided. FAs tend to me slower serving meals compared to old CO, maybe they are not used to serve free meals to everyone.

Catering screwed up so no special meals were loaded.

Baggage
Took me 55 minutes after landing to get my luggage. When I got mine, there are still half of people still waiting for theirs. Baggage people said staff are not used to 772.

Overall
GUM is a new route and new destination for UA, they are still working on various issues. Hopefully things will more smoother down the road.
Sounds like I am going to route via NRT on DL and I hate DL as much !

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 1, 2011 at 8:28 pm Reason: fixed
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
In happier news, using the same new United rules I was able to UDU on the new 777 UA operated GUM-HNL flight I have scheduled to depart later today (the 2012 rules do not allow for CPU.)
Congrats! Does anyone know if GUM-HNL will have UDU for the rest of 2011? I was bummed that my CO SWU is useless for this leg of my trip (travelling in December 2011, booked in L class), but if there's a chance that it's UDU-able, that'd be pretty awesome!
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
More food served GUm-HNl than they serve NRT-SFO

What a waste of money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.