Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Jeff's speech at Deutsche Bank Aviation and Transportation Conference

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jeff's speech at Deutsche Bank Aviation and Transportation Conference

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Wouldn't that be two things?

But seriously (and do NOT take this personally), if you were getting the ICC you were not a customer UA desired anyway.

to the first part.

To the second, decade at 1K on longhaul paid J isn't what UA wants? That explains a lot!
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
To the second, decade at 1K on longhaul paid J isn't what UA wants? That explains a lot!
@:-) If you were a 1K, it would have been extremely rare for you to get the ICC (not unheard of, but very rare. As a 1P I have only gotten the ICC one or two times in the last 3-5 years).

If you were not a 1K when you flew paid C (J would have been on CO ), most likely you used UA becasue of necessity, and not loyalty.

IMhO, I think it is CRIMINAL to send someone who is paying full F/C to deal with the ICC. However, I do see the reasoning behind it.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:25 pm

@:-) If you were a 1K, it would have been extremely rare for you to get the ICC (not unheard of, but very rare. As a 1P I have only gotten the ICC one or two times in the last 3-5 years).

If you were not a 1K when you flew paid C (J would have been on CO ), most likely you used UA becasue of necessity, and not loyalty.

IMhO, I think it is CRIMINAL to send someone who is paying full F/C to deal with the ICC. However, I do see the reasoning behind it.
I never said I got it (even though I did once or twice), I am saying the fact that it exists is the problem.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sxf24
Are you disagreeing with value that focusing (and achieving) on operational excellence provides to investors and customers? Or are you saying its not possible for employees to work together to achieve operational excellence if PMCO tools and processes are used?
I'm questioning what he's saying because we're seeing him pull out better systems for inferior ones. To talk about operational excellence while going backwards seems hypocritical to me -- much like the communication we see from Smisek towards employees and customers.

Or they need to scale back the whole "we are a nice int'l carrier" rhetoric and just maintain.
That's the real issue, IMO. The rhetoric doesn't match the actions.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:43 pm

I never said I got it (even though I did once or twice), I am saying the fact that it exists is the problem.
That was (and still is) the live person CS model, UA really doesn't care if a GM needs to deal with the ICC. If they used UA more (ala frequent flyer), they recieve a higher level (Domestic CS) of service.

Basically, a priceline/hotwire/leiuse traveller has an issue. UA treally doesn't care if they come back the next time around (again, I am not saying this right, or the way I would do it... just sayin': thats the way it is).
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:53 pm

That was (and still is) the live person CS model, UA really doesn't care if a GM needs to deal with the ICC. If they used UA more (ala frequent flyer), they recieve a higher level (Domestic CS) of service.

Basically, a priceline/hotwire/leiuse traveller has an issue. UA treally doesn't care if they come back the next time around (again, I am not saying this right, or the way I would do it... just sayin': thats the way it is).
I agree, that was my point in the first place. And it's a problem.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:09 pm

I agree, that was my point in the first place. And it's a problem.
So how could it be a problem for you?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by Brasila
I will take LH FC any day over COUA LCC's B/F. Have you been to LH's FC Terminal in FRA? Have you been driven directly to a LH 747 in a Mercedes Limo and taken upstairs from the tarmac to be boarded while the plane is already fully loaded.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flying...ry-in-transit/

Also, LH gives you pajamas, slippers and a great amenity kit going and coming.

There are only 8 people in LH FC on a 747 and they have a seat and a full bed next to them. Also, they have a large screen monitor, video on demand and individual Bose headsets handed out. The meals have a wide variety of choices, there are frequent offerings and no expense seems spared on what liquors or wines are served. You are given a duvet, blanket and full pillow too.

For any COUA LCC apologists to really believe their airline will be comparable in an international competitive market is fool hardy.

I know of know one who would take COUA B/F over true international carriers FC such as LH, EK, TG, SQ, MH, QR, CX, KE, etc...is pure wishful and denial thinking....
+1^
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:45 pm

So how could it be a problem for you?
It's a problem for the whole airline, if they want to be the airline they claim they are, and many here seem to think they are because the have been bribed blind by all kinds of unsustainable perks over the years. Because right now UA is just a second rate LCC posing as a global leading airline. They aren't alone in this by any stretch, so it's not like I single them out. DL is the same way, they are just a lot more honest about it.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
I'm questioning what he's saying because we're seeing him pull out better systems for inferior ones. To talk about operational excellence while going backwards seems hypocritical to me -- much like the communication we see from Smisek towards employees and customers.
How do you know?

Do you have first hand knowledge or experience with airline information technology to make an assessment over what systems are better or inferior?

On what basis are you saying that UA is going backwards in regards to operational excellence?

While packed with plenty of cliches, Smisek and his management team has spoke with great substance on these issues, including at the DB conference. I think its time for you to set aside the UA-good, CO-bad rhetoric and talk about facts.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Personally, I'd settle for lie flat seats on ANY flight, no matter what destination, domestic or Int'l, over 6 1/2 hours. PLEEEEASE???
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Why? They market it as "BusinessFirst" and the hold music even tells you it's an "international First Class experience at an affordable price."

Why all of a sudden when they fail to perform to the standards they communicate are we so quick to point out that it's no longer First Class?

If they called it Continental Business or BusinessPremier or BusinessElite or some other name, then sure, I'd see your point. But BusinessFirst is the moniker, and their advertising is well, their typical Rah! Rah! advertising.
It basically is a First Class seat at a Business Class price..how many people in the world truly can afford a real FC international ticket and are willing to actually pay for it? IMHO very few..BusinessFirst does provide an outstanding product and value somewhere between FC and Business Class..@:-)
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Have you been flying UA lately. The inferiority is everywhere. Just checking in at the supposedly FC/BC Premium Check-In at LAX today was a chaotic, frustrating and annoying experiences. There were GS's begging for help. I think the agents at the checkin were probably CO agents based on their attitudes towards elites.
Exactly. For this 1K, the facts are traveling on PMUA was reasonable, traveling on COdbaUA (even PMUA metal at PMUA stations) is a markedly worse experience.

This includes check-in and boarding, and by extension the lounge experience has deteriorated.

The only things that are good are things that have NOT been taken away; nothing of value has been added or improved.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
It basically is a First Class seat at a Business Class price..how many people in the world truly can afford a real FC international ticket and are willing to actually pay for it? IMHO very few..BusinessFirst does provide an outstanding product and value somewhere between FC and Business Class..@:-)
Come on, enough with this. SQ/NH/LX/OZ (with QS)/US (Envoy) all now have superior C/J hard products relative to BF, and that's just in *A. Once again - what's First Class about BF? It's a great C/J seat and good food. Nothing more, nothing less.

Have you been flying UA lately. The inferiority is everywhere. Just checking in at the supposedly FC/BC Premium Check-In at LAX today was a chaotic, frustrating and annoying experiences. There were GS's begging for help. I think the agents at the checkin were probably CO agents based on their attitudes towards elites.
+1 - the so-called "Premier Access" line at ORD is a joke now. If you're not GS or doing Int'l F, security absolutely sucks there.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm Reason: profanity removed
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Have you been flying UA lately. The inferiority is everywhere. Just checking in at the supposedly FC/BC Premium Check-In at LAX today was a chaotic, frustrating and annoying experiences. There were GS's begging for help.
The systems haven't changed yet, so I'm not sure how your check-in experience gives you facts to refute that the combined airline will have inferior systems or that the talk about operational excellence is hypocritical.

They may give great speeches but where are the new mileage program details from Team $misek?
MileagePlus changes were not discussed at the DB conference, which is the topic of this thread. Perhaps you can start a thread titled "Why I hate Continental and everything associated with it," and share your opinions there.

Last edited by sxf24; Sep 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm Reason: Additional quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.