Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Jeff's speech at Deutsche Bank Aviation and Transportation Conference

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....&p=irol-IRHome

In this he states about the Loyalty Program, he says OUR NEW LOYALTY program and also about halfway through or so he laughs about customers using their own devices so when they break it's not "our" problem.

Last edited by zabes64; Sep 13, 2011 at 5:37 pm Reason: Link correcting
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Just so I don't have to watch it . . what "devices" is he referring to ?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

It's just audio, but he talks about the 747, because they don't plan on having them a long time, so with the wireless videos we can download, if we break our ipads, computers etc., it's not United's problem.

I think he was trying to talk about the cost savings of not having to worry about repairing AVOD, but he decided to make a joke out of it.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I already use my own devise much more than AVOD. And I welcome the changeover moving forward. What's wrong with making a joke about if it breaks, it not being UA's problem?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
An interesting listen, Smisek can across as knowledgeable and said the sorts of thing financial folks wanted to hear.

From a FT pov, he mention
- revamped PS
- revamping cabins in general
- more lie-flat seats
- streaming video in 747
- need to create a service culture
- mention two drivers of executive compensation -- ROIC and employee satisfaction

and one interest comment was the role of the domestic system as a feeder for the international system
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I did see on a slide something about domestic capacity reduction. Does that mean more RJ's, or service reduction overall ? I'm mostly domestic so I'm not sure this is a change I'll like.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by n198ua
I did see on a slide something about domestic capacity reduction. Does that mean more RJ's, or service reduction overall ? I'm mostly domestic so I'm not sure this is a change I'll like.
DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
The largest U.S. airlines outlined plans Tuesday to trim domestic flying next year in an effort to keep a recent run of fare increases on track, though executives said demand remained robust.

Basically they see 2012 cap flat and cutting domestic. This isn't too surprisng as domestic surely is going to be axed with the merger gong forward more.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 13, 2011 at 7:23 pm Reason: violation of http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q91
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
and one interest comment was the role of the domestic system as a feeder for the international system
I wonder who gave him that idea
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zrs70
I already use my own devise much more than AVOD. And I welcome the changeover moving forward. What's wrong with making a joke about if it breaks, it not being UA's problem?
My problem with the comment was more that this is UA's new attitude towards passengers.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by zabes64
My problem with the comment was more that this is UA's new attitude towards passengers.
Maybe you're just reading too much into it.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
- need to create a service culture
This is very concerning coming from a legacy CO exec.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brasila
Jeff can talk all he wants but the new COUA LCC carrier will never come close to the services that international carries are now providing and upgrading their products to. On LH FC you now have a dedicated FC seat and also a dedicated bed next to you on their 747's. COUA LCC BF will never come close to matching that. This is Jeff from Texas talking not some international leader in airline culture.
Well, let's remember that there's a difference between F and C/J. It's not really fair to compare the two products between two carriers. Further, many people find UA's current generation C seat (both PMCO and PMUA) to be better than LH's seat.

Last edited by sxf24; Sep 14, 2011 at 4:29 pm
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sxf24
Well, let's remember that there's a difference between F and C/J. It's not really fair to compare the two products between two carriers.
Why? They market it as "BusinessFirst" and the hold music even tells you it's an "international First Class experience at an affordable price."

Why all of a sudden when they fail to perform to the standards they communicate are we so quick to point out that it's no longer First Class?

If they called it Continental Business or BusinessPremier or BusinessElite or some other name, then sure, I'd see your point. But BusinessFirst is the moniker, and their advertising is well, their typical Rah! Rah! advertising.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
Why? They market it as "BusinessFirst" and the hold music even tells you it's an "international First Class experience at an affordable price."

Why all of a sudden when they fail to perform to the standards they communicate are we so quick to point out that it's no longer First Class?

If they called it Continental Business or BusinessPremier or BusinessElite or some other name, then sure, I'd see your point. But BusinessFirst is the moniker, and their advertising is well, their typical Rah! Rah! advertising.
I don't know about you, but I heard Jeff speak and feel like I can comment on the topic at hand.

UA has made investing in its premium product a priority. Since most demand is for C/J tickets, rather than F, this is where most of the focus is. UA's next generation C/J product on both 2- and 3-class aircraft is very competitive with C/J products most of its competitors.

Getting hung up on legacy branding for a subsidiary that is going to disappear in the next 6 months seems a bit shortsighted and petty. Let's focus on the hard and soft product being rolled out and wait to see how UA brands its C/J cabin on 2- and 3-class aircraft once the integration of the two carriers is complete.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by Brasila
Jeff can talk all he wants but the new COUA LCC carrier will never come close to the services that international carries are now providing and upgrading their products to. On LH FC you now have a dedicated FC seat and also a dedicated bed next to you on their 747's. COUA LCC BF will never come close to matching that.

...and in Lufthansa Business Class you get a 2002-generation flat-but-not-level seat even on the A380. The United and Continental Flat Beds in Business Class blow the LH C product away.

Put another way, New United doesn't have as far to go to be a top-rate carrier on premium longhaul as you think.

Originally Posted by sxf24

UA has made investing in its premium product a priority. Since most demand is for C/J tickets, rather than F, this is where most of the focus is. UA's next generation C/J product on both 2- and 3-class aircraft is very competitive with C/J products most of its competitors...Let's focus on the hard and soft product being rolled out and wait to see how UA brands its C/J cabin on 2- and 3-class aircraft once the integration of the two carriers is complete.
I agree 110%. If Smisek merely grafts the current BusinessFirst soft product onto the combined airline's longhaul Business Class, and gives United First a couple more enhancements beyond that (like pyjamas), New United will easily be in the Top 10 for the best longhaul First and longhaul Business experience worldwide.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 14, 2011 at 3:39 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.