Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demosthenes1
What's your status? If you can make free changes, I would recommend this strategy: Book the international flights you want, and book something, anything to/from the gateway and wait list for the flights you actually want as part of the same itinerary. Then watch award inventory and improve your reservation as you can. (Don't rely on the wait list to actually work).

Here's what I've noticed while I've been doing this lately: when I make changes in the flights that get me to/from the gateway city, I am not seeing miles redeposited/pulled from my account. My theory (my hope?) is that this means that I will still be able to continue to make changes like this even after Feb. 1 without triggering the new award table.
Thanks. I am 1K. Even though I can WL for UA flights in a PNR with non-UA flights now (it used to be you cannot), when the WL clears, I think the ticket has to be reissued and the price difference will kick in.

I think even if you stay in the same award category, the repricing will still happen. Even with a simple date/time change, the tickets are still reissued and would still cause the higher mileage level.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
Thanks. I am 1K. Even though I can WL for UA flights in a PNR with non-UA flights now (it used to be you cannot), when the WL clears, I think the ticket has to be reissued and the price difference will kick in.

I think even if you stay in the same award category, the repricing will still happen. Even with a simple date/time change, the tickets are still reissued and would still cause the higher mileage level.
We've been told by Aaron that a date change will not result in repricing.

I agree though that clearing into a new class of service will trigger a reticketing and thus a repricing.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Really? You're going to hang your that on THAT?? I hope you've got enough miles banked that the new award levels (and the changes to existing ressies that WILL happen) don't ruin your plans.

Dave
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by username

Well, obviously I don't know what will happen after Feb. 1. I do know, however, what is happening now with changes. And when I am making certain kinds of changes (forcing a wait list to clear or changing the way I get from the gateway city to my home city) I am not seeing miles being returned to my account and then pulled again. For other kinds of changes, I am seeing that happen. It is my theory that if the repulling happens after Feb. 1, it will be based on the new award table.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bseller
Really? You're going to hang your that on THAT?? I hope you've got enough miles banked that the new award levels (and the changes to existing ressies that WILL happen) don't ruin your plans.

Dave
Excuse me, please point where I said I was hanging my hat on anything. I passed along the information (which has been widely quoted and discussed on various threads).

I will note though that others who have much more knowledge of the ticketing process than I have commented that a change of date is the only change that does not trigger a reticketing.

Perhaps you should save your outrage for a more worthy subject.

Originally Posted by demosthenes1
Well, obviously I don't know what will happen after Feb. 1. I do know, however, what is happening now with changes. And when I am making certain kinds of changes (forcing a wait list to clear or changing the way I get from the gateway city to my home city) I am not seeing miles being returned to my account and then pulled again. For other kinds of changes, I am seeing that happen. It is my theory that if the repulling happens after Feb. 1, it will be based on the new award table.
We're all speculating to a certain degree here. But it's my understanding that everything except for a date change results in a reticketing, and that's what will trigger a reprice. Note, for example, that when you clear a waitlist, the ticket needs to be reissued, that's why you'll frequently get the "reservation out of synch" notice in "My Itineraries."

Perhaps one of our more members who knows more about the intricacies of the ticketing process can comment further.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 27, 2013 at 9:21 am
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee

I agree though that clearing into a new class of service will trigger a reticketing and thus a repricing.
My theory is "it depends". Here are two examples:

Both examples are based on the same basic itinerary: Home US City to Gateway US City to European City and return. As shorthand, this is HC - GC, GC - EC, EC - GC, and GC - HC.

Example #1: I changed EC - GC from Business First to Global First. This change required more miles. In the Award Activity section of my MileagePlus statement, the new full amount of miles required for the entire trip were pulled from my account on the day I made the change. Also, the previous number of miles required were returned to my account dated on the day I originally booked the trip. It is my theory that if this kind of change is made after Feb. 1st, it will trigger the use of the new award table.

Example #2: I changed GC - HC from Economy to First. Because this was a Global First itinerary, it did not require more miles. This change did not generate any line items (either on the day the change was made or on the day the itinerary was originally booked) on my Award Activity summary. It is my theory that if this kind of change is made after Feb. 1, it will NOT trigger the use of the new award table.

Yes, I know I'm guessing. I also am trying hard to get all the changes I want to make done before Feb. 1 so my guess doesn't matter.

Last edited by demosthenes1; Dec 27, 2013 at 9:52 am Reason: added clarification
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:54 am

Saver Award Inventory - when is it released? [2014]

Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I read that those with MileagePlus Explorer cards have access to economy saver seats. Just last month when I was checking the availability for SFO-LON(stopover)-NRT (Dest) SIN-SFO tentatively for April, there were plenty of saver seats. However, today when I tried it again I couldn't see anything even if I switched the dates to several months later. Was wondering do you guys know of any change in the system or possible system glitch?

Thanks!

Moderator's Note: The previous thread on this subject can be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ut-merged.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 17, 2014 at 2:38 pm
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:35 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Getting to Munich

My wife and I are trying to get to Munich for a wedding on May 31st... We'd prefer to fly out the week before (May 23, 24ish) and then head home on June 1st (due to work reasons). I'd love to fly out in business or first but am not finding any of the saver availability. Are there any tips/tricks that you can think of to get us their via a certain routing? Our home airport is LAX but we are willing to use a positioning flight if needed. We'd love to get these booked before the changes to the awards go into effect. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As always, very limited availability. Basically, just keep checking every day - or grit your teeth and buy a ticket with dollars.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
My wife and I are trying to get to Munich for a wedding on May 31st... We'd prefer to fly out the week before (May 23, 24ish) and then head home on June 1st (due to work reasons). I'd love to fly out in business or first but am not finding any of the saver availability. Are there any tips/tricks that you can think of to get us their via a certain routing? Our home airport is LAX but we are willing to use a positioning flight if needed. We'd love to get these booked before the changes to the awards go into effect. Thanks in advance!
Going to be tough to find saver availability around those times, as peak leisure travel to Europe begins about a week before Memorial Day and lasts until Labor Day. That said, try looking into LAX-ORD-BRU-MUC or LAX-IAD-BRU-MUC. For some reason, flights via BRU are not as full as flights into other European cities; yet, there are plenty of onward connections on SN or LH.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: Freelancer
If you don't care about your free stopover here's an option on 25MAY:

UA212 LAX-JFK (PS Business) arrives at JFK 2:28PM connecting to
LH401 JFK-FRA (A380 Business) with the follow on flight to MUC.

Not showing too much for a return on the June 1st.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:56 pm

I see 2 seats IAD-MUC on LH May 26 and 2 seats MUC-ORD/YYZ/CLT on June 1. The connections out of LAX could be difficult. You can add the connections later, but the ticket will reprice significantly higher if you add them after Jan. 31.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA platinum, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
The 22nd of January i'm flying FRA-PEK in Lufthansa in Business, checking the next 2 weeks i see 4 or 5 days with first class in united.com but when i doublecheck in Ana.co.jp i just see availability the 23th of January, wich websit is correct united or ana?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:58 pm

Aeroplan does not see the direct flight FRA-PEK in first for the 22nd. Direct Business is available, but first class only FRA-PVG-PEK.

I do see it available for the 23rd
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by capkor
The 22nd of January i'm flying FRA-PEK in Lufthansa in Business, checking the next 2 weeks i see 4 or 5 days with first class in united.com but when i doublecheck in Ana.co.jp i just see availability the 23th of January, wich websit is correct united or ana?
ANA. You are likely seeing phantom availability on LH through the UA website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.