Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fees waived for non-elite flyer award ticket pax booked with elite members miles?

Fees waived for non-elite flyer award ticket pax booked with elite members miles?

Old Jul 31, 11, 3:07 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: AS gold, UA gold
Posts: 82
Fees waived for non-elite flyer award ticket pax booked with elite members miles?

I am booking an award ticket for my mother to fly on UA metal using my miles (either UA Premier Exec or CO platinum). I read in the CO forum that she would not have to pay baggage fees on CO metal using CO miles. For UA metal, will she have to pay baggage fees if I book a ticket using my UA miles? What about CO miles? I prefer to book from my CO account because there are no fees if the ticket needs to be cancelled.

Last edited by J.Edward; May 15, 12 at 9:45 am
car94102 is offline  
Old Jul 31, 11, 3:45 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Posts: 2,777
Originally Posted by car94102 View Post
I am booking an award ticket for my mother to fly on UA metal using my miles (either UA Premier Exec or CO platinum). I read in the CO forum that she would not have to pay baggage fees on CO metal using CO miles. For UA metal, will she have to pay baggage fees if I book a ticket using my UA miles? What about CO miles? I prefer to book from my CO account because there are no fees if the ticket needs to be cancelled.
Can you please provide the link where it said no baggage fee for CO metal using ELITE CO mile for non-elite pax? I am interested in utilizing that. Thanks.
lax2010 is offline  
Old Jul 31, 11, 3:59 pm
  #3  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 52,649
Originally Posted by lax2010 View Post
Can you please provide the link where it said no baggage fee for CO metal using ELITE CO mile for non-elite pax? I am interested in utilizing that. Thanks.
Beleive there is no written policy but a long standing "glitch"

awards using UA miles -- no baggage waiver for non-elites

awards using CO elite miles -- baggage waiver for non-elites based on elites privileges
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...les-elite.html
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 31, 11, 4:35 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Houston
Programs: UA: MM
Posts: 841
Ticket with elite miles = elite status

When an elite uses their miles to purchase a ticket, the person ticketed gets elite status for that trip. I'm not sure where it is written, but I've used this a number of times. most recently on a trip to Hawaii. My (non-elite) wife and son were on tickets from my miles and they both got status including the option to have three bags for free.

They also get elite branding on the boarding pass and the option to pick from the "premium" seats.

This does not happen if I buy my family tickets, only if I use my miles.

FWIW
DLM

PS, It does NOT extend to EUAs...
dmunz is offline  
Old Jul 31, 11, 4:36 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Posts: 2,777
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Beleive there is no written policy but a long standing "glitch"

awards using UA miles -- no baggage waiver for non-elites

awards using CO elite miles -- baggage waiver for non-elites based on elites privileges
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...les-elite.html
Great! This is something UA should inherit after the two systems are merged :-).
lax2010 is offline  
Old Jul 31, 11, 10:05 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Posts: 1,108
anyone has experience with award ticket booked for non-elite person on LH using CO miles as Plat?
dsauch is offline  
Old Sep 1, 11, 9:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: OnePass Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by dsauch View Post
anyone has experience with award ticket booked for non-elite person on LH using CO miles as Plat?
I'm CO Gold, not Plat, but my experience is that even though my benefits pass on to non-elites when they're on CO metal, the benefits do not pass on to other *A airlines.

Recently, a non-elite traveling on a ticket I purchased with my miles got all the benefits--most importantly, baggage--going to Germany (started on CO metal), but as her return trip started with an HAM-AMS segment on LH, she could only check one bag on her return. Something to think about when purchasing tickets for others if the baggage allowance is a key point for you.

Exit row seating was automatically available during seat selection for CO metal on CO.com.
kaw5 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 12, 5:23 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 107
Is this still the policy in the new UA? will non elite get all the benefit if miles are from elite members?
jjj0002 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 12, 6:27 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California
Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Posts: 245
As previously posted, this is not necessarily policy, but the "glitch" still exists. Booked 3 of my family, none of whom have status, on a trip last week and their boarding passes all showed 1K and they were not charged for baggage.
musing is offline  
Old Apr 28, 12, 11:30 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,262
Booked a award ticket for my sister to TPE, outbound was on StarAlliance partners, return flights are on UA. She called and asked me if I can change the flights to non-UA as UA charges $70(?) for second piece of checked luggage.

I seldom check any luggage so not aware the allowances. Looks like other airlines (AC, OZ are the ones I checked have award flights available) have allowance of two pieces free checked-luggages.

Just found this thread and seems it is possible for her have my benefit such as exit row and baggage fee wavers. Appreciate more data points if you have experience of non-elite who took the award flights had your benefits.

Also if to change the ticket to other airlines, is the luggage allowance will be based on the carrier who operates the over-the-water flight or the carrier at the initial check-in point?

Thanks for your help.
wendySFO is offline  
Old Apr 29, 12, 6:33 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago Illinois
Programs: 1MM UA
Posts: 1,749
Originally Posted by wendySFO View Post
Booked a award ticket for my sister to TPE, outbound was on StarAlliance partners, return flights are on UA. She called and asked me if I can change the flights to non-UA as UA charges $70(?) for second piece of checked luggage.

I seldom check any luggage so not aware the allowances. Looks like other airlines (AC, OZ are the ones I checked have award flights available) have allowance of two pieces free checked-luggages.

Just found this thread and seems it is possible for her have my benefit such as exit row and baggage fee wavers. Appreciate more data points if you have experience of non-elite who took the award flights had your benefits.

Also if to change the ticket to other airlines, is the luggage allowance will be based on the carrier who operates the over-the-water flight or the carrier at the initial check-in point?

Thanks for your help.
If the ticket is with your miles, she will get your status. It happened once this month with my daughter and her boyfriend (domestic) and once last month for my wife (international). This includes baggage allowance. But note that this is an unpublished benefit.
sosafan is offline  
Old May 14, 12, 5:05 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: NorCal - 1K 2MM
Posts: 2,015
SHARES inserts member's M+ number onto eticket of sponsored award traveler??

Title says it all. This is the first sponsored award I've booked for an unrelated friend since 3/3 switchover, using my miles for his free ticket. I carefully put friend's M+ number into the booking record. The resulting e-ticket correctly took miles from me and shows his name as the traveler, but shows my M+ number, not his which I entered. Is this the expected behavior? It also let me seat him in E+ even though he's a GM. As I recall that was the supposed policy for PMUA, although I'm not sure I got it to work properly in Apollo. Is that indeed the current policy for sUA -- E+ access is available to the traveler based on the status of the mileage owner, not the status of the traveler?
Starman is offline  
Old May 14, 12, 5:09 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,985
That's right. It's a limitation in SHARES about how they handle the FFN for awards.

And not only do they get E+, they get free bags, preboarding, and if you're an appopriate CC holder, they may get upgraded as well.

Plus if this is int'l, the BP will likely show your status, and that's often enough to get into a UA Club.

Of course none of this is published, nor is he entitled to any of it. But it's really quite lucrative if it plays out for him. Of course it may not be lucrative for other bona fide Elites who have to compete for E+ or upgrades with someone who shouldn't be getting them in the first place.
channa is offline  
Old May 14, 12, 5:17 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SJC
Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Posts: 2,633
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I'm not sure this is new to SHARES. The UA issued NZ awards for my family showed my status (1K on the UA sectors, UA*G on the NZ sectors).... And this was last year.
ajnz is offline  
Old May 14, 12, 5:20 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: YVR SFO EOF
Programs: UA 1K, VX S
Posts: 4,866
This was true in CO-land, too. The flier took the status of the member where the miles came from.
unavaca is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: