Old Apr 29, 12, 6:33 pm
sosafan

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by wendySFO View Post
Booked a award ticket for my sister to TPE, outbound was on StarAlliance partners, return flights are on UA. She called and asked me if I can change the flights to non-UA as UA charges $70(?) for second piece of checked luggage.

I seldom check any luggage so not aware the allowances. Looks like other airlines (AC, OZ are the ones I checked have award flights available) have allowance of two pieces free checked-luggages.

Just found this thread and seems it is possible for her have my benefit such as exit row and baggage fee wavers. Appreciate more data points if you have experience of non-elite who took the award flights had your benefits.

Also if to change the ticket to other airlines, is the luggage allowance will be based on the carrier who operates the over-the-water flight or the carrier at the initial check-in point?

Thanks for your help.
If the ticket is with your miles, she will get your status. It happened once this month with my daughter and her boyfriend (domestic) and once last month for my wife (international). This includes baggage allowance. But note that this is an unpublished benefit.