Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fees waived for non-elite flyer award ticket pax booked with elite members miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fees waived for non-elite flyer award ticket pax booked with elite members miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I have booked a few award trips for friends and relatives since 3/3 and they've almost all been upgraded (on segments like ORD-ALB that aren't so elite heavy) on at least one part of the trip.
Old May 14, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
How does it work in reverse? I am getting a saver award ticket from my GM kid and her MP number shows on the eticket instead of my 1K MP number! Am I loosing my *A Gold benefit when I fly in this ticket?
Old May 14, 2012, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by lax2010
How does it work in reverse? I am getting a saver award ticket from my GM kid and her MP number shows on the eticket instead of my 1K MP number! Am I loosing my *A Gold benefit when I fly in this ticket?
Probably. Bring your card and fight for whatever you can at the airport (bags, security, pre-boarding, etc.). And probably forget about upgrades.
Old May 14, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
Probably. Bring your card and fight for whatever you can at the airport (bags, security, pre-boarding, etc.). And probably forget about upgrades.
But this can be overriden. It's rare that folks want to, though. Go into the traveler information, and save the FF as nothing - then go back in and enter yours.
Old May 14, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
If this is true, then the traveler will be flagged as an elite flier, thus rendering him/her ineligible for TOD upgrades. Result is that they will remain in their E+ seat like any other elite.
Old May 14, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill
If this is true, then the traveler will be flagged as an elite flier, thus rendering him/her ineligible for TOD upgrades. Result is that they will remain in their E+ seat like any other elite.
So, all joking aside (and I have been following hundreds of threads on this topic), is it _stated_ policy that COdbaUA does not offer TOD to elites? Or only one's strong suspicion that the system is currently operating that way, whether by blunder or design?
Old May 14, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Awesome, so I should feel comfortable telling my MIL that she will, in fact, get my Plat baggage allowance for her trip to Korea in a couple of days. Apparently, she took it upon herself to call her travel agent and also UA to confirm her baggage allowance and was told 1 bag at 50lbs, and now she's freaking out because she packed way more stuff than that.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Awesome, so I should feel comfortable telling my MIL that she will, in fact, get my Plat baggage allowance for her trip to Korea in a couple of days. Apparently, she took it upon herself to call her travel agent and also UA to confirm her baggage allowance and was told 1 bag at 50lbs, and now she's freaking out because she packed way more stuff than that.
No let her panic for not listening to her elite and generous son in law.....typical asian mom. And yes I am asian but my parents will listen when it comes to anything concerning flights...and won't call the airline.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:19 am

Programs: UA Gold, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
But this can be overriden. It's rare that folks want to, though. Go into the traveler information, and save the FF as nothing - then go back in and enter yours.
I have booked an award ticket for my wife using my miles, and my attempts to change the FF number to her own number failed. If I would replace my number with hers, the system would allow me to do so, but if I would thereafter open the reservation again, it would just revert back to my number...
Old May 15, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
that's good to know....

Because I used my miles to get an economy ticket for my daughter. Hopefully she can check her bags without having to pay her fee.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 15, 2012 at 8:40 am Reason: off-topic
Old May 15, 2012, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
as stated upthread, it's been this way for awhile. my parents were thrilled with their free checked bags and 'elite access' status when they came on CO to visit in december.
Old May 15, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by karenkay
as stated upthread, it's been this way for awhile. my parents were thrilled with their free checked bags and 'elite access' status when they came on CO to visit in december.
I see this as a good thing. I'm glad my kids can access Elite/GS security line when things are crazy.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by xandern
I have booked an award ticket for my wife using my miles, and my attempts to change the FF number to her own number failed. If I would replace my number with hers, the system would allow me to do so, but if I would thereafter open the reservation again, it would just revert back to my number...
This is my experience too--that we can't change the FF# of an award ticket to a different account. In the CO days, I was explicitly told that award ticket benefits were based entirely on the account from which they came.

That said, I think it may be possible for an agent to somehow manually override this. Today, I cancelled two award tickets (one for me, one for my gf). One came from my Plat account, one from her GM acct. However, they both had my FF#. My guess is that during a manual change made in the past, an agent found it easier just to manually add my FF#. So, it seems someone has this power, though I have no idea who. ::shrug::

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.