Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: Amex,AS,DL,Marriott,Hilton
I just got 2 of these certificates after my explorer card's anniversary
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:36 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by zcat18
Ha--I never thought of it that way. However, that whole ad campaign makes me want to throw something at the TV (or computer screen). It's insulting to elites who actually *earned* their meager benefits, which are now being thrown like peanuts at anyone who signs their name to a line of credit. If anything, it's bad marketing because it alienates actual United customers.

I always read it as, "psst, hey you! Yeah, you! Don't fly hundreds of thousands of miles like those other saps. Just sign up for this credit card and make 'em look like the suckers they are!"
Originally Posted by zcat18
Nobody is claiming that credit card holders are on any kind of plane (no pun intended) with 1K or GS.
The bolded sentence in the second quote contradicts the bolded part of the first quote (bolding is mine). Unless you're saying that those who fly "hundreds of thousands of miles" are not 1K or GS.

UA is trying to make a profit from non-elite credit card holders by giving them benefits that are greater than those of a general passenger but considerably less than those offered to any elite members including 2Ps. That is perfectly logical, and most of the benefits do not have a significant impact on the rest of us.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:04 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by uwr
UA is trying to make a profit from non-elite credit card holders by giving them benefits that are greater than those of a general passenger but considerably less than those offered to any elite members including 2Ps. That is perfectly logical, and most of the benefits do not have a significant impact on the rest of us.
Succinct and sagacious. Bravo.

RNE, supposing that many "Bronze" Premiers contribute more to UA's bottom line than aggrieved Silvers.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by flymonthly
I think they may have changed when you get the passes. According to the T&Cs on the Chase website:

TWO UNITED CLUB PASSES: You will receive two (2) Club passes after account opening and every account anniversary thereafter. Please allow 8 – 10 weeks after account opening for delivery of Club passes. Please allow 2 – 4 weeks from your credit card account anniversary date each year thereafter for delivery. Club passes cannot be shipped to PO Boxes or addresses outside the 50 United States and Washington D.C. To qualify for this bonus offer, your credit card account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. Valid when presented at any United Club location. Each pass is valid for one (1) guest for one (1) visit. United Club representatives will retain this certificate. No cash value. Cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. All United Club membership guidelines apply. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment.
I enrolled a few months ago and just got 2 club passes in the mail, so I can substantiate this claim.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:00 am
Suspended

Searched but could not find an answer. I hold the mileageplus explorer chase card and it says the first bag is checked for free. However I am headed to europe and it appears that the first bag checked is free anyways. Does this mean that if I check a second bag I get the fee ($100!) waived? Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by TroyMcClure
Searched but could not find an answer. I hold the mileageplus explorer chase card and it says the first bag is checked for free. However I am headed to europe and it appears that the first bag checked is free anyways. Does this mean that if I check a second bag I get the fee ($100!) waived? Thanks
No. Only the first bag is free.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Upgrade Explorer Mastercard?

I had the OnePass Plus that was converted to a United Explorer Mastercard. From what I understand, the United Club card is a visa. Has anyone had any luck upgrading an Explorer Mastercard to a United Club Mastercard? Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by boat9781
I had the OnePass Plus that was converted to a United Explorer Mastercard. From what I understand, the United Club card is a visa. Has anyone had any luck upgrading an Explorer Mastercard to a United Club Mastercard? Thanks!
I was able to convert my OnePass Plus MasterCard to UC Card MasterCard -- so the UC Card can be either a Visa or MasterCard version.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:52 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Did the foreign exchange fee return? On the chase website under terms, it says: "Foreign Transactions: 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars."
https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...edit-card.aspx
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:58 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I was able to convert my OnePass Plus MasterCard to UC Card MasterCard -- so the UC Card can be either a Visa or MasterCard version.
Did you have to pay the fee differential?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:08 am

My wife just received an offer for the Explorer Card. It offers up to 65,000 RDMs and no annual fee for the first year. The first 50,000 are given after $1000 in spending. That is all we are interested in. If we cancel after receipt getting the 50,000 will we be able to keep those miles?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Originally Posted by milemonkey
My wife just received an offer for the Explorer Card. It offers up to 65,000 RDMs and no annual fee for the first year. The first 50,000 are given after $1000 in spending. That is all we are interested in. If we cancel after receipt getting the 50,000 will we be able to keep those miles?
That's a little iffy. I rememeber reading somewhere that Chase reserves the right to remove a signup bonus if an account is open less than 6 months I believe.

Just open the card, use it whenever, and cancel after a year when the AF is due to be safe.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:24 am

Does anyone know if you can have both the old Chase Visa and the new Explorer? I like the award upgrades, but don't want to give up the EQM option with the old card.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: Continental, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by nick5000
Did the foreign exchange fee return? On the chase website under terms, it says: "Foreign Transactions: 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars."
https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...edit-card.aspx
Yes it did. grr! I ran up to British Columbia last month and reviewed my bill yesterday. Was charged 4 transaction fees. We called on the phone before I left and they said (which is contrary to their printed info) that if the charge is run through in US currency (regardless if we were international) then no transaction fee. I was paying in CAD so I don't know if that is true or not.

(Quote:
Originally Posted by flymonthly
I think they may have changed when you get the passes. According to the T&Cs on the Chase website:

TWO UNITED CLUB PASSES: You will receive two (2) Club passes after account opening and every account anniversary thereafter. Please allow 8 – 10 weeks after account opening for delivery of Club passes. Please allow 2 – 4 weeks from your credit card account anniversary date each year thereafter for delivery. Club passes cannot be shipped to PO Boxes or addresses outside the 50 United States and Washington D.C. To qualify for this bonus offer, your credit card account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. Valid when presented at any United Club location. Each pass is valid for one (1) guest for one (1) visit. United Club representatives will retain this certificate. No cash value. Cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. All United Club membership guidelines apply. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment.

I enrolled a few months ago and just got 2 club passes in the mail, so I can substantiate this claim)
Yes, I can also substantiate this claim. I received mine on Saturday. Card open about 2 months so far.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by oregondiver
Yes it did. grr! I ran up to British Columbia last month and reviewed my bill yesterday. Was charged 4 transaction fees. We called on the phone before I left and they said (which is contrary to their printed info) that if the charge is run through in US currency (regardless if we were international) then no transaction fee. I was paying in CAD so I don't know if that is true or not.
Yes, FOREX can be a PIA in a lot of cases, and you generally would get the shaft either way you handled it. If you have the local merchant charge you in USD, then they give you a crap exchange rate that can wind up to cost you a lot depending on the total charged. For instance, last year one hotel incorrectly charged me in USD instead of Indian Rupees (INR) for a 1.5 week stay and it was a difference of over $50 USD. On the other end, a lot of cards charge you a 3% foreign transaction fee when you are charged in local currency.

I am embarrassed to say that it took me entirely too long to wise up to this one and do the necessary to avoid these fees. Basically now I only use a Capital One card, or a Chase Marriott or Priority Club card when charging things internationally - I don't use my Chase MP Explorer at all internationally. Also, I upped my checking account to a Premium account where you need to keep a high monthly balance, but in return I don't get charged any foreign ATM withdrawal fees (used to be $3.50 a shot).

Good luck avoiding fees in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.