Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by kwildnj
Home > MileagePlus > Use miles > Upgrades overview

This has always been listed on the United Site.

Also, here:

Home > MileagePlus > Use miles > Upgrades overview > Complimentary Premier Upgrades
Is there a priority between the different cards, or just based on time placed on list?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by username
I want to see if there are more experiences on this front:

1 - do you have to charge the taxes to the card?
2 - does the award ticket has to be issued after you get the card? If yes, how do you make things happen for existing reservations?
3 - does the kind of card matter on the priority? (It does not seem so according to the description on http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont....aspx?Mobile=1 .)

Thanks.
Covered in the forum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...nt-merged.html
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
a question about the free checked baggage....the first one is free with the card but if i want to check in another one then do i pay $25 or $35????
Old Apr 15, 2012, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]Miles do not expire – Miles earned in the MileagePlus program by Explorer Cardmembers will not expire as long as program members are MileagePlus Explorer Cardmembers.
Question, not a big traveler and was curious about this item. Read some of the posts but couldn't make it through all the pages to see if it was asked. I have just he regular Onepass CC that the miles never expired. Would I need to get the MPE card or if I keep my Onepass in good standing while keeping activity going (or as they say, pay the yearly fee) would I still continue the "never expire" miles?

It's the main card I use for all purchases and lucky if I travel every 3 years or so but it does come in handy when I do. If I am in jeopardy of losing miles I might have to rethink what CC to use.

Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by boltsnow
Question, not a big traveler and was curious about this item. Read some of the posts but couldn't make it through all the pages to see if it was asked. I have just he regular Onepass CC that the miles never expired. Would I need to get the MPE card or if I keep my Onepass in good standing while keeping activity going (or as they say, pay the yearly fee) would I still continue the "never expire" miles?

It's the main card I use for all purchases and lucky if I travel every 3 years or so but it does come in handy when I do. If I am in jeopardy of losing miles I might have to rethink what CC to use.

Thanks!

Miles never expire as long as there is activity on the account every 18 months. In or out. So honestly, any card which gives you miles will keep your miles from expiring.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
a question about the free checked baggage....the first one is free with the card but if i want to check in another one then do i pay $25 or $35????
You would pay $35. The card waives the first bag's fee, but the second bag's fee remains $35.

Originally Posted by boltsnow

Thanks!
Your OnePass miles never expired because CO never expired the miles. This is a Mileage Plus feature, carried over to MileagePlus.
I believe the OnePass Plus card is a valid card in terms of miles not expiring.

But another way of preventing them from expiring is by doing ANY activity, whatsoever. Purchase miles, spend miles, use the MP shopping site, etc.

Also curious: If you fly once every 3 years, is it even worth paying the $85 for the OPPlus card?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by joshwex90
You would pay $35. The card waives the first bag's fee, but the second bag's fee remains $35.
sucks....i was hoping it was going to be $25....
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Keyser
sucks....i was hoping it was going to be $25....
Is ten bucks really going to break the bank?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Strom
In another thread, people are reporting that all elites on award tickets are getting put on the upgrade list, regardless of CC. In fact, a 1K on a revenue ticket didn't get an upgrade that another 1K on an award ticket (who definitely didn't have any UA/CO credit cards) got. So, unclear if the MileagePlus Explorer linkage is actually kicking in or if there's an error (or a "new process in place").
Based off of my personal experience and what I've been told by UA, only the primary cardholder gets the upgrade on an award ... On my last United flight last month (as in the last we're flying for a long time, we both got status matched to AA and switching for the time being..) my 1K partner sat in E+ while I sat first class with 8 or so empty seats. Central american flight segment.

I am premiere exec, partner is 1k, both booked on same record. At the time of booking my 1K partner actually was an authorized cardholder on this account but now he removed it/canceled, I've been told that it didn't matter though. Partner also has UA MP card, but it's the Signature card, and they don't include that benefit on that card.

I've been told by UA that it didn't matter whether the 1K on the reservation was a secondary cardholder or not, only the primary cardholder gets this benefit. (which to me makes me exclaim: what's the point? if people are traveling on award tickets it's often personal and most often probably with a companion). Do they expect a couple or a family to get 2-3 of these credit card accounts to utilize this benefit?

They've conveniently gone back and added in many other card types other than what was originally advertised to receive this benefit, but left out several of the UA card types.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is ten bucks really going to break the bank?
nope....but still sucks....
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:54 am

1 free checked bag

So I bought tickets using my CapitalOne rewards card, and just got approved for the United Mileaage card. Does anyone have a suggested strategy for getting the 1 free bag? Any hope at all?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MajorFearOfFlying
So I bought tickets using my CapitalOne rewards card, and just got approved for the United Mileaage card. Does anyone have a suggested strategy for getting the 1 free bag? Any hope at all?
Officially, there's no way (barring canceling the ticket, and repurchasing with the Explorer card). You may get luck at the airport with an agent willing to do the override.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:11 am

Officially, there's no way (barring canceling the ticket, and repurchasing with the Explorer card). You may get luck at the airport with an agent willing to do the override.
Not exactly true.

As I have said at least ten times, the Baggage Benefit is tied to your Frequent Flyer number, and not your credit card number. As such, so long as the MieagePlus number which is associated with your card is in the reservation, you wil get the Baggage Benefit automatically. I have been in the exact same situation as the OP is in, and had no issue in getting the bag for free AUTOMATICALLY.

If the fee does not get waived automatically, then I would say you have a 99% chance of the above situation working to get you the free bag.

If the agent actually pulls the reciept to see what card was used, I would be shocked, and I believe they only see the last four numbers, just tell them that since you purchased the ticket you lost your card, and required a new card, with new numbee to be issued.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not exactly true.

As I have said at least ten times, the Baggage Benefit is tied to your Frequent Flyer number, and not your credit card number. As such, so long as the MieagePlus number which is associated with your card is in the reservation, you wil get the Baggage Benefit automatically. I have been in the exact same situation as the OP is in, and had no issue in getting the bag for free AUTOMATICALLY.

If the fee does not get waived automatically, then I would say you have a 99% chance of the above situation working to get you the free bag.

If the agent actually pulls the reciept to see what card was used, I would be shocked, and I believe they only see the last four numbers, just tell them that since you purchased the ticket you lost your card, and required a new card, with new numbee to be issued.
The published benefit is that you must pay for the ticket with the card. United Airlines - Free Checked Bags for Eligible United Airlines Chase Credit Cardmembers
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:40 am

The published benefit is that you must pay for the ticket with the card. United Airlines - Free Checked Bags for Eligible United Airlines Chase Credit Cardmembers
I'm speaking from actual experience.

I have had free bags AUTOMATICALLY with tickets purchased with:

• Miles (where the taxes were paid with or not with the card
• Third Party Business Check
• Through Continental Vacations
• Cash
• "Other" Credit Card Points
• 100% with both CO and UA VDB Vouchers
• Portion with UA VDB Voucher
• Portion with UA ECert

In all instance, the free bag came up automatically at checkin. The only problem I ever had was with a MileagePlus (former) reward booking last year, as my MP number (which was not linked to my Credit Card) was in the record. I noticed at OLCI that it was charging me for my first bag. I called in, had them change it to my OP number, and then redid OLCI, and my first bag was free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.