Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA use Purser, Lead or Service Mgr? - UA to standardize on "Purser" post-Oct2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA use Purser, Lead or Service Mgr? - UA to standardize on "Purser" post-Oct2018

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist

On a recent UA flight a FA kept going on and on about how because of the merger she was no longer a purser but now has to be called a "lead." I asked if there was any material difference in the position and she said no but then continued to rant and rave about the name change.

Is there something more to the change or was this just one long-time UA FA overreacting?
Old May 27, 2011, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
On a recent UA flight a FA kept going on and on about how because of the merger she was no longer a purser but now has to be called a "lead." I asked if there was any material difference in the position and she said no but then continued to rant and rave about the name change.

Is there something more to the change or was this just one long-time UA FA overreacting?
I'm not sure but perhaps there going the CO way. At CO lead f/as on domestic flights are called Flight Service Coordinators and on international flights they are called International Service Managers. Also 2 of the 3 f/a bases in the mainland ( I'm excluding the GUM base) are subdivided into 3 bases

EWR has :

NTA - Newark Transatlantic
NLS - Newark Language Speaker
EWR - Newark Domestic

IAH has :

HTA - Houston Transatlantic
HOS - Houston Other Speaker
IAH - Houston Domestic.

It will be interesting to see after the dust settles if they keep the bases seperate or clunk thm all together into 1.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
When I was dealing with a VDB in SFO a few weeks ago, I heard a bunch of UA cabin crew types talking (overly-loud, for my taste) about some of the changes resulting from the merger, and one of the topics that drew laughs and derision was the adoption of CO's "Flight Service Coordinator" title. I was almost tempted to say that I thought the crew was being rather unprofessional, given that there was a full boarding lounge and lots of pax within earshot (including me, standing not 2 feet away at the podium), but decided against it.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Critic
When I was dealing with a VDB in SFO a few weeks ago, I heard a bunch of UA cabin crew types talking (overly-loud, for my taste) about some of the changes resulting from the merger, and one of the topics that drew laughs and derision was the adoption of CO's "Flight Service Coordinator" title. I was almost tempted to say that I thought the crew was being rather unprofessional, given that there was a full boarding lounge and lots of pax within earshot (including me, standing not 2 feet away at the podium), but decided against it.
I thought they were supposed to be "the most professional men and women in the business"...
Old May 27, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
DEN-SEA earlier in the week referred to herself as the purser. Same with LAX-LIH & LIH-LAX.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hope they keep "purser". There's a lot of pride in that, have talked to a few of them and they talked about the additional training they go through. Many of the leading global airlines seem to use the phrase.

FSC or ISM just seems like mumbo jumbo.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hope they keep "purser". There's a lot of pride in that, have talked to a few of them and they talked about the additional training they go through. Many of the leading airlines seem to use the phrase.

Also, imagine the alternative meanings one could make of the acronyms.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I thought they were supposed to be "the most professional men and women in the business"...
That would be PMCO's employees, not PMUA

Hope they keep "purser". There's a lot of pride in that, have talked to a few of them and they talked about the additional training they go through. Many of the leading global airlines seem to use the phrase.

Yes, I'm sure it will also result in a serious dilution of GS/1K benefits. Not sure how, but our resident all-knowing 1Ks will figure out a way, for certain.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
EWR has :

NTA - Newark Transatlantic
NLS - Newark Language Speaker
EWR - Newark Domestic
What is "Newark Language"?
Old May 27, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by Critic
Old May 27, 2011, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by notabob
Yes, I'm sure it will also result in a serious dilution of GS/1K benefits. Not sure how, but our resident all-knowing 1Ks will figure out a way, for certain.
Good on ya to try - but this has absolutely nothing to do with that.

But it is another example of the CO way prevailing, not that it will make things more efficient in the slightest of course...it's just because it's CO and thus it's obviously the better way of doing/naming.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFOTerry
What is "Newark Language"?
Fuhgeddaboudit...
Old May 27, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Fuhgeddaboudit...
That's what they say when your upgrade fails to clear
Old May 27, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
The new system should be

Purser -->the most professional men and women in the business
FAs --> the 2nd professional men and women in the business

So the announcement from the Purser will be "Welcome on board, My name is xxx the most professional man/woman on this flight. My colleagues, the 2nd professional men and women in the business, and I will be here for your safety
and cleanness."

So does pilots.
Pilot--> the most professional men and women in the cockpit
co-pilot/1st officer -->the 2nd professional men and women in the cockpit

This is your most professional man/woman in the cockpit speaking...........etc.....
you can listen to the most professional conversation through Ch. 9.

Last edited by pigx5; May 27, 2011 at 12:35 pm
Old May 27, 2011, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Good on ya to try - but this has absolutely nothing to do with that.

But it is another example of the CO way prevailing, not that it will make things more efficient in the slightest of course...it's just because it's CO and thus it's obviously the better way of doing/naming.
It's obviously better to name the lead FA after the person on a sailing ship responsible for the handling of money on board?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.