Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA use Purser, Lead or Service Mgr? - UA to standardize on "Purser" post-Oct2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA use Purser, Lead or Service Mgr? - UA to standardize on "Purser" post-Oct2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by demosthenes1
Here's why it matters to me. It's not about the title, but about how the responsibilities are split. I mostly fly domestically, and when I'm in first, I expect a higher level of service (I know, silly me). When flying PMUA, the purser/lead FA works the first class cabin, and when flying PMCO, the purser/lead FA generally doesn't. My experience, based on hundreds of flights over the last few years, is that I get better service when the purser/lead FA is providing the service. In PMUA, the purser tends to be attentive throughout the flight. In PMCO, the FA tends to do the minimum and then disappear to his or her seat.
The ISM/FSC position on sCO flights is dependent on aircraft type. Narrowbody aircraft they work the Y/C cabin; widebody aircraft they work the J cabin.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Regardless what they call themselves or the position, is anyone truly in charge of in-flight services while that multi-million dollar asset is in the air?

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but IMHO, someone should have supervisory responsibility.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by demosthenes1
Here's why it matters to me. It's not about the title, but about how the responsibilities are split. I mostly fly domestically, and when I'm in first, I expect a higher level of service (I know, silly me). When flying PMUA, the purser/lead FA works the first class cabin, and when flying PMCO, the purser/lead FA generally doesn't. My experience, based on hundreds of flights over the last few years, is that I get better service when the purser/lead FA is providing the service. In PMUA, the purser tends to be attentive throughout the flight. In PMCO, the FA tends to do the minimum and then disappear to his or her seat.
It doesn't matter then. The terminology isn't what's affecting anything, it would be either the rules/procedures OR bad FAs if they just disappear on you. Name them whatever you want, I don't think you'd be happier considering your complaint.

Originally Posted by halls120
My experience as well. Some sCO crews are really good, but with most of them, after meal service in F, they disappear. On most sUA flights, it's the opposite.
The opposite as in they don't exist until after the F meal service?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joshwex90
The opposite as in they don't exist until after the F meal service?
sUA crews don't disappear from the front cabin after meal service. At least one FA walks around filling water glasses, and is available in the galley if you're hungry while on a TPAC.

IME, most sCO crews disappear after meal service. And I'm not the only who has noted this.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
From AFA:

Beginning October 1, 2018 our on-board leaders will be referred to as International Pursers.
It appears that Domestic Purser and International Purser will be the new titles after the FA crew merge.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
From AFA:
It appears that Domestic Purser and International Purser will be the new titles after the FA crew merge.
I prefer that. International Service Manager sounds too generic. That said, it is just a title, and all I really care about is consistency of onboard service (which UA lacks in spades).
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
From AFA:
Good to know. Wonder if they will be dedicated to the front cabin.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
From AFA:
Yeah, there was some uproar about the new name being Flight Service Leader (FSL). IMO, International Purser > ISM > FSL.

It'll technically require a side letter to be signed, but with the United AFA MEC meetings this week, I'd imagine that letter is coming shortly.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Good to know. Wonder if they will be dedicated to the front cabin.
Current staffing sheets and some other company reports suggest it will continue to be this way for the foreseeable future.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fezzington
Current staffing sheets and some other company reports suggest it will continue to be this way for the foreseeable future.
IME, the sCO ISM would often work the economy cabin. Which always struck me as a little odd.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Yeah, there was some uproar about the new name being Flight Service Leader (FSL). IMO, International Purser > ISM > FSL.
But if it is fezzington working up front, then we'll have a Fearless Leader!

David
fezzington likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
IME, the sCO ISM would often work the economy cabin. Which always struck me as a little odd.
Up until a few years back we only worked Y/C on the 757. 767 we work last 2 rows of J aircraft left. 777/787 is last 3 rows aircraft left.
Kacee and EWR764 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Is that the same for sCO FSC (future Domestic Purser) as well?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Is that the same for sCO FSC (future Domestic Purser) as well?
I believe so. But I haven't seen an update on narrowbody staffing yet.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:26 pm

The name, from what I heard approx. 4 years ago, was to use Purser. Then it changed to the sCO term ISM during the wanying days of Smisek, went BACK to Purser, before the (awkward) FSL was then created. That lasted only a little longer than the bizarre pmCO livery typeface for “United Airlines”.

Now it’s back to pmUA purser like it rightfully should be.

Great to see it finally confirmed.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I am happy to hear this. The term "purser" has such historical significance that it was absurd to see it tossed aside for "fizzle".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.