Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the Status of the Planned Houston-Auckland Service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Status of the Planned Houston-Auckland Service?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by syrahnose
I could be wrong on this, but I did speak to an air traffic controller from the Wellington tower who said 787s could land there.

And the population is around 450k, considerably larger than Christchurch which has international services.
A 747 can land at OGG on Maui. That doesn't mean a 747 loaded up with fuel and passengers has enough runway to take off. A 787 probably can land at Wellington, but range it can go from there will be weight-restricted (read: fuel).

Delta used to fly a L1011 into Maui from DFW, but it had to then fly to Honolulu (refueling there), before it could have enough runway to make it back to Dallas w/ full passenger load.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I could be wrong on this, but I did speak to an air traffic controller from the Wellington tower who said 787s could land there.
An 788 can land at WLG with an restricted payload, effectively could not carry much cargo at all. Take off wise, it would be heavily payload restricted to the point that it would need to stop in AKL or CHC to refuel and couldn't take cargo.

NZ has taken 772/77W into WLG a couple of times, most times with out passengers just for promo purposes and they where only to/from AKL or CHC. The only time that passenger 772 have been used to WLG was after the CHC earthquake as evac flights.

And the population is around 450k, considerably larger than Christchurch which has international services.
Wellington does have International services both to Fiji/Australia. The only place that CHC gets over WLG is the SQ Flight to SIN.

AKL - 1,418,000
WLG - 397,900
CHC - 379,100
HLZ - 212,000 (1.2hr drive from AKL)
NPE - 125,300
TRG - 123,500 (2hr drive from AKL)
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Explore
I understand that NZ is looking at AKL-IAH since United pulled out - and also to compete with QF on SYD-DFW.

As a UA flyer I hardly think of NZ as even being a Star Alliance member anymore. No award availability, upgrades via auction, very restrictive bag allowance even for *G on Aust/NZ regional services, no more preferential seating (OK, UA does that too for foreign elites). NZ is increasingly an LCC with some premium economy and business seating which fetches top dollar.
Reviving an old thread, UA cancelled the AKL service (allegedly in retaliation for the City of Houston approval of WN international service), but Air NZ has just now announced that the next US city they will fly will be Houston. Will UA code share on this, I am sure Air NZ is hoping for good connecting traffic to make this route work. Did UA miss the boat, they could have introduced the route in their own metal.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hyho61
Will UA code share on this...
The official ANZ press release states:

"United will put its code on the Air New Zealand flights between Houston and Auckland, and points beyond."
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hyho61
Reviving an old thread, UA cancelled the AKL service (allegedly in retaliation for the City of Houston approval of WN international service), but Air NZ has just now announced that the next US city they will fly will be Houston. Will UA code share on this, I am sure Air NZ is hoping for good connecting traffic to make this route work. Did UA miss the boat, they could have introduced the route in their own metal.
The city and people of Houston won. Do you have to name a loser?

"Air NZ will begin nonstop service to George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) beginning in December 2015, using B772 and five flights per week."
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Kmxu
The city and people of Houston won. Do you have to name a loser?
I guess folks wishing to redeem UA miles for premium cabin awards to NZ are losers too, since NZ apparently opens up very little premium space for awards, and presumably UA would have offered more.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:02 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by bmr12
I guess folks wishing to redeem UA miles for premium cabin awards to NZ are losers too, since NZ apparently opens up very little premium space for awards, and presumably UA would have offered more.
Small chance on an award on NZ > No chance of an award on nonexistent UA flights.

Glad to see NZ here in IAH along with the other long-haul carriers: NH, SQ, KE, BR, KL, AF, BA, LH, TK, EK, QR, and 5Y (counting the LAD Houston Express).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
That's what happens when you have a product that people are willing to actually pay for. I was lucky enough to snag an upgrade several years ago on an NZ 744 LAX-AKL - it was without question the most comfortable flight and the best inflight service I've ever had. I can see why they wouldn't have to give many of these seats away!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
But the paying passengers also won, as NZ is MUCH nicer than UA in almost all respects (especially at the stubby end of the plane).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ljwobker
That's what happens when you have a product that people are willing to actually pay for.
LH, CX, OS, TK, many others have products people are willing to pay for, and they are reasonably generous with premium cabin award space.

I never understood why people here are so forgiving of NZ for basically thumbing its nose at the alliance.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by Kacee
I never understood why people here are so forgiving of NZ for basically thumbing its nose at the alliance.
For a different perspective, try making UA connections between LAX and SEA when flying NZ in or out of LAX. While there used to be options, those are largely gone and now NZ needs to use AS and VX to get to or from SEA. So I often miss out on frequent flyer points because UA has such limited connection possibilities.

Secondly, I'm very happy having cleared 15 of 16 transoceanic upgrades to Business on NZ since I switched from UA about 3 years ago - I fear that record would not be as good if they were more generous to other airlines in the alliance. Selfish reason, I know.

Last edited by SeaProf; Apr 15, 2015 at 7:33 pm
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SeaProf
For a different perspective, try making UA connections between LAX and SEA when flying NZ in or out of LAX. While there used to be options, those are largely gone and now NZ needs to use AS and VX to get to or from SEA. So I often miss out on frequent flyer points because UA has such limited connection possibilities.
UA can't even schedule to connect sensibly to their own international flights. No wonder *A partners are forced to look elsewhere.

Secondly, I'm very happy having cleared 15 of 16 transoceanic upgrades to Business on NZ since I switched from UA about 3 years ago - I fear that record would not be as good if they were more generous to other airlines in the alliance. Selfish reason, I know.
Can't blame you for that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.