Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com change flight link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:43 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
SDC Routing Change $150.00

I was looking at doing a SDC and was told if you chnage the routing it is $150.00 not $75.00. I was not aware of that. Sometimes when checking in for a flight they give you other flight options sometimes the routings are different and they still charge $75.00. Is this something new.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
SDC between co-terminals for departure airport?

I have seen the previous discussion in co-terminals not officially allowed for free SDC, but in practice, it can be done. (In fact, I just changed both my departure and arrival airports among the NYC and LA area airports today)

To make the change on the way out, the phone agents (talked to three before one would help) would only do the NYC co-terminals saying they are ok but not in the LA area, but then at the airport in NYC, the check-in agent had no issues changing among the LA airports. She was also able to change my outbound airport on the return for free but had to charge me the $150 change fee... So I decided to pass.

Now on the way back on Saturday, I would like to leave from, say, LAX instead of one of the other area airports (e.g. BUR, ONT, SNA) because it is much closer to where I will be than originally anticipated. The fare rules for my ticket that I saved when I booked also state that LAX-BUR, LAX-ONT, and LAX-SNA are considered the same point for the purposes of fare construction. (does this imply that it should be ok for SDC as "exact airport" if they are considered the same point?)

This is a little different than the usual wanting to change the arrival airport since you can usually make that change at the departure airport or at one of the connection airports, here the departure airport is the problem. Some have also posited that it is bad to call and potentially get notes or flags if a supervisor has already looked and said no... In my case, that happened on the phone but the last agent and the check-in agent still helped me.

What is the best strategy (highest probability) of being able to make the change? Is it to go to LAX Friday within the 24 hour period and talk to a check-in agent, or to call the premier line and "hang up call again" until I get a friendly agent?

This is a little different than the usual wanting to change the arrival airport since you can usually make that change at the departure airport or at one of the connection airports, here the departure airport is the problem. Some have also posited that it is bad to call and potentially get notes or flags if a supervisor has already looked and said no... In my case, that happened on the phone but the last agent and the check-in agent still helped me.

Last edited by transparent; Dec 7, 2012 at 10:58 am Reason: Added note on fare rules for co-terminals
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I was looking at doing a SDC and was told if you chnage the routing it is $150.00 not $75.00. I was not aware of that. Sometimes when checking in for a flight they give you other flight options sometimes the routings are different and they still charge $75.00. Is this something new.
It is definitely a mistake, both agent and SHARES.

I have just done one SDC earlier with a different routing - no fee.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 7, 2012 at 4:50 am
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
100% false. also assuming you are still premier gold as your handle indicates you should not have any fees at all, unless you have to buy up to another fare class to get confirmed. see details here

occasionally, though rarely, a fare type will not allow certain connection points or multi-stop connections. in this case SHARES/agent is correct, a fee could apply but as long as you are not trying to game the system (ie, connect in HNL when flying LAX-EWR) there should be some work arounds you could get.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I just rechecked on and for search avaliable flights it had the CLE-IAD-SEA avaliable replacing CLE-SFO-SEA and I was charged the $75.00. I get to fly a 737-900 with Direct TV.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by transparent
Now on the way back on Saturday, I would like to leave from, say, LAX instead of one of the other area airports (e.g. BUR, ONT, SNA) because it is much closer to where I will be than originally anticipated. The fare rules for my ticket that I saved when I booked also state that LAX-BUR, LAX-ONT, and LAX-SNA are considered the same point for the purposes of fare construction. (does this imply that it should be ok for SDC as "exact airport" if they are considered the same point?)
I think I'm going to try going to LAX in person to try this, and will report back. Has anyone been successful making such a change to departure either at the airport or on the phone for the LA area? I know NYC is possible.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold ex DM, Marriott and Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transparent
I think I'm going to try going to LAX in person to try this, and will report back. Has anyone been successful making such a change to departure either at the airport or on the phone for the LA area? I know NYC is possible.
I had a SNA-DEN-SEA today and was able to do a SDC for a SNA-SFO-SEA tomorrow morning. My plans changed a little bit and called and spoke to 4 different agents and 1 SD regarding a SDC to go LAX-SFO-SEA.

Not one would do it. They said that Co-terminals do not matter when doing a SDC. If I change to LAX-SFO-SEA or LAX-SEA, it would recalculate since I am changing the origin point.

Another part is, I was holding a ticket SNA-DEN in T class and DEN-SEA in G class. As long as the T was available, they change both segments to T class for the following day SNA-SFO-SEA.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by poverty.jet.set
2. I didn't try this, but I'm assuming that you can't add a GPU within 24 hours of flight.
It's against policy but I believe technically possible. I've not done it with GPUs, but I've done it with miles, which has the same policy. Although it was a special circumstance - I thought I was on the wait list, I asked in UA lounge 1 at origin airport to check, they said I wasn't but they couldn't do anything about it, asked in UA lounge 2 at connecting airport (to international leg) to check, she added me to the wait list.... but the CPU class wait list, not the mileage/GPU one.

At the gate the GA obviously wouldn't CPU me to South America, I called the 1K number, and they applied the mileage upgrade request about 20 minutes prior to departure.

Did you go to a ticket agent and say, "I am flying AAA-XXX-CCC, but I would like to change to AAA-YYY-CCC", and did they say, "WEll, if you want to change the routing, that will be $150" ?

Because that could be entirely correct - if your fare class isn't available on the new routing, then you'd be changing your ticket at $150, although surprising there wasn't a fare collection as well.

So not $150 for SDC, just $150 for you to change to that itinerary at that point as SDC (at $75 or $0) wasn't available.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 8, 2012 at 1:20 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by poverty.jet.set
... 2. I didn't try this, but I'm assuming that you can't add a GPU within 24 hours of flight. ....
the limitation is waitlisting, if R>0 you can apply GPU anytime. The GA may not be able to do it, but calling works fine.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta PM
Same day travel changes on last minute deals/specials?

I assume I know the answer to this but want to be sure there are no restrictions that I'm not aware of.

If I buy a fare that is advertised in United's weekly fare sale email, there are no restrictions for me then changing that flight (say a Friday night) to one earlier in the day on friday (if seats are available), right? I don't see anything stating otherwise in the restrictions/rules for these emails or on the same-day flight change page. I would just have to pay the same-day flight fee (or it would be free if I have the right status level).
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
That's what I thought too, but it is not the case. I tried it before, and was told that SDC is not allowed for the weekly specials, because of the day restrictions. The webpage advertising the specials says nothing about restrictions on changes, but if you read deep into the fare rules, you can find the restrictions.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
as stated in Same-day flight changes

* Excluding fares that do not allow changes of any kind, such as United Specials and tickets bought through certain wholesale outlets (e.g. where you do not know the identity of the airline until after you buy the ticket).
and discussed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by xxdboixx
I had a SNA-DEN-SEA today and was able to do a SDC for a SNA-SFO-SEA tomorrow morning. My plans changed a little bit and called and spoke to 4 different agents and 1 SD regarding a SDC to go LAX-SFO-SEA.

Not one would do it. They said that Co-terminals do not matter when doing a SDC. If I change to LAX-SFO-SEA or LAX-SEA, it would recalculate since I am changing the origin point.
Well, had a similar experience. Went to the airport, no dice even though it seemed like the agent wanted to help. She said, "We don't have power over add/collects... And we don't get computer training anymore!" Or something like that.

Tried three agents on the phone. Wanted to charge me change fee as well as fare difference. Also no dice. Finally made a change to route through another city to get me back earlier. Did not try to change at my connection city, but I think if you want to change your destination co-terminal like in NYC, it's a high likelihood as long as there is availability.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
a few observations about SDC

1. UA agents are still unfamiliar with the rules 9 months after its implemented
(1) multiple instances, over the phone and at the airport, trying to charge a 1K the $150 change fee
(2) trying to charge a "fare difference" when the same fare class is available
(3) airport agents, in multiple instances, need to call helpdesk to make changes as easy as moving me to a flight with the same routing, just one hour early
(4) "you can only change to an earlier flight"

2. UA computer treats the ticket with $0 paid as a bulk fare ticket and doesn't allow anyone to change it, even when the ticket was actually discounted by a PMUA voucher that has a value greater than the fare.

3. UA website says its expert model doesn't have the up-to-date fare class inventory, yet according to my observation, it has been more accurate/up-to-date than what the phone agents are using. If I switch to a different flight, I can see the count drop by one in one minute online, and when I tell a phone agent that certain flight opened up, they usually don't see it immediately. If I wait for 15-20 minutes, they usually do.

Dear United, could you please do the both of us a favor: let me do self-service?

Last edited by howto; Dec 9, 2012 at 6:16 am
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: UA: Premier 1K AA: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by howto
1. UA agents are still unfamiliar with the rules 9 months after its implemented
(1) multiple instances, over the phone and at the airport, trying to charge a 1K the $150 change fee
(2) trying to charge a "fare difference" when the same fare class is available
(3) airport agents, in multiple instances, need to call helpdesk to make changes as easy as moving me to a flight with the same routing, just one hour early
(4) "you can only change to an earlier flight"

2. UA computer treats the ticket with $0 paid as a bulk fare ticket and doesn't allow anyone to change it, even when the ticket was actually discounted by a PMUA voucher that has a value greater than the fare.

3. UA website says its expert model doesn't have the up-to-date fare class inventory, yet according to my observation, it has been more accurate/up-to-date than what the phone agents are using. If I switch to a different flight, I can see the count drop by one in one minute online, and when I tell a phone agent that certain flight opened up, they usually don't see it immediately. If I wait for 15-20 minutes, they usually do.

Dear United, could you please do the both of us a favor: let me do self-service?
Intriguing. I would agree with all of these (of course the "you can only change to an earlier flight" is completely wrong) except the one I haven't tried. The $0 bulk ticket thing. I am going to test that out in January. Now I'm intrigued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.