Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com change flight link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by ddrost1
i would recommend you call both LH and UA and confirm that it did indeed go through and a voucher was issued over to LH, sounds buggy to me...
Thanks, although just to follow-up, I'm posting from 38,000 ft over Labrador, so it did go through . (I didn't call, but being able to change seats and get an emailed boarding pass made me pretty comfortable that all was well.)
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by topcat_dcx
Has anyone successfully SDC'd an international outbound? I am ticketed on EWR-BCN in Z and would like to take EWR-FRA-BCN (reason: 764 center aisle vs 752). I cant get the EWR-FRA-BCN right now as fare is higher on that one.
As mentioned above, the issue isn't the fact that it's international (which is no problem at all) but that you want to add a segment on LH. This won't be permitted.

As an aside, there's no way I'd consider such a detour just to get an almost identical seat in a slightly different configuration and (probably) get worse service. Unless I needed the miles really badly
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Right now I am on BOS-DEN-JAC, cleared CPU on DEN-JAC. If I switch to BOS-IAH-DEN-JAC, could I keep my upgraded seat on DEN-JAC (same flight)?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mediator
Right now I am on BOS-DEN-JAC, cleared CPU on DEN-JAC. If I switch to BOS-IAH-DEN-JAC, could I keep my upgraded seat on DEN-JAC (same flight)?
If you do SDC before OLCI, yes.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by mediator
Originally Posted by aacharya
Technically yes, but beware that any change can cause unwanted disruptions to your itinerary. You don't have to go very far back in this thread to find numerous people talking about how they lost upgrades from SDC on a separate segment. I don't recommend it.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Originally Posted by o mikros
Technically yes, but beware that any change can cause unwanted disruptions to your itinerary. You don't have to go very far back in this thread to find numerous people talking about how they lost upgrades from SDC on a separate segment. I don't recommend it.
Thanks. Will take that into account.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Timing of Request for SDC

Wiki Sates:The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.

If my Orginal Flight is at 6:30 a.m. on June 8th, and the flight that I would like to change to is at 1:00 a.m. on June 8th ( 5 1/2 hours earlier ).

When am I allowed to call? 6:30 a.m. on June 7th ( 24 hours from the first flight ) OR.. at 1:00 a.m. on June 7th ( 24 hours from the flight I would like to take )

Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Wiki Sates:The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.

If my Orginal Flight is at 6:30 a.m. on June 8th, and the flight that I would like to change to is at 1:00 a.m. on June 8th ( 5 1/2 hours earlier ).

When am I allowed to call? 6:30 a.m. on June 7th ( 24 hours from the first flight ) OR.. at 1:00 a.m. on June 7th ( 24 hours from the flight I would like to take )

6:30am on June 7th. You must be within 24 hours of both flights.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

6:30am. Both flights need to be within 24 hours. Don't think the wiki text is unclear on this point, but maybe it is, so do edit it if you have an idea for better wording.

If you call between 1am and 6:30am, you have a pretty good shot at having the change made a bit early.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
SDC on Mid-itinerary on Award Ticket

There's probably a thread post already on this topic so apologies in advance.

I've got a OW international award ticket stretching over 4 days with a couple of long (but sub-24 hour) stops on the way. I'm wondering if I can extend the last stopover to more than 24 hours by doing an SDC after arriving at the last stop. More specifically I'm arriving BKK in the morning with a connection to SGN on TG in the evening. After arriving in BKK, I want to know if I can SDC the SGN segment go out the following morning instead.

Anybody know the answer?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
No - only applies to UA metal.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:49 am
Suspended

Is there a way to SDC on an all UA metal flight /037 (US Air) ticket stock?

I'm having some challenges so thought I'd ask the experts.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I don't think so

Take a look:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ipost-faq.html
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
No since it is not 016 ticket stock. I have been able to get airport agents to confirm standby

Last edited by USFdonWill; Jun 5, 2013 at 11:08 am
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by USFdonWill
No since it is not 016 ticket stock. I have been able to get airport agents to confirm standby
The OP can also ask UA to take over the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.