Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
So if not "officially" allowed, I assume you mean show up at the airport and ask to see if the agent will re-route as opposed to hoping to see it as an option for online check-in.
Can try by phone as well.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA: Premier 1K AA: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by kiam
I saw a post asking similar question but I am not clear on the one answer posted. I have LAS-SFO-IAH with 2 hrs transit at SFO (I am doing this because I need to accommony a friend from LAS-SFO so I chose not to fly direct LAS-IAH), is it possible that once I arrive SFO, I do SDC for my SFO-IAH to be the next morning/day? Is this even allowed under SDC? Please advise.
Actually: Yes, you most likely can. If you are Gold or higher, and the same fare class is available, you can go to a kiosk (not an agent), and it will in all likelihood let you do it. I don't know what type of ticket you have (look at your fare basis), but you are MOST LIKELY allowed a stopover. It is NOT CORRECT that you cannot overnight at a connection point. On many, many, even difrt cheap tickets you can.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
.bomb offered me a SDC & $662 refund online, I changed for $0 via phone. Me idiot?

I have an itinerary YVR-SFO (overnight) - NRT-SIN tomorrow. At T-23, I went online and tried to change the first leg to an earlier departure. The 12:59 pm departure is an A320 and my bird had been downgauged to a CRJ months ago, but after I made my booking.

When I chose the 12:59 pm departure, not only was there no charge, but .bomb told me that $662 would be refunded to my credit card.

I noticed that the new fare code for the YVR-SFO segment had gone from a W to K. My trans-Pacific segments were all in "R" via GPUs which cleared at time of booking. I wondered whether SHARES was repricing my whole itinerary, and if it took away the W fares on other segments whether I'd lose the R space?

So I called the Premier desk. Leah was nice enough and after 20 minutes on hold, she said that neither she nor her help desk colleagues could get anything other than an equal exchange if they booked the SDC to the earlier flight.

She said if I wanted to take my chances on the $662 being offered by the web change on .bomb, I should go for it, but she had no idea what would happen to the rest of my itinerary in that case.

So I chickened out and had her do the SDC for no fare difference. She did upgrade me and Mrs. Transportprof into R immediately on the YVR-SFO flight, which I felt was a bit of karmic justice, as we'd been in F originally until UA downgauged our return flight (also from an Airbus to a CRJ) on the way home.

Am I an idiot for not playing roulette with a SDC over the web on SHARES? Could I have gotten all this, and $662 as well?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP
stopover allowed at SF connection?

Originally Posted by UALsandiego
Actually: Yes, you most likely can. If you are Gold or higher, and the same fare class is available, you can go to a kiosk (not an agent), and it will in all likelihood let you do it. I don't know what type of ticket you have (look at your fare basis), but you are MOST LIKELY allowed a stopover. It is NOT CORRECT that you cannot overnight at a connection point. On many, many, even difrt cheap tickets you can.
This is probably a basic question, and I'm assuming the answer is "no".
I want to fly to SF from arizona, and don't have status on UA. I noticed the fare is only $20 more to continue on to NY.

So i was wondering if I buy a ticket to NY, can I do a stopover (for a week) at the connection in SF?
Is there a fee for a stopover? Or is it 2 fares back to back ($$$)?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Jlove
I want to fly to SF from arizona, and don't have status on UA. I noticed the fare is only $20 more to continue on to NY.

So i was wondering if I buy a ticket to NY, can I do a stopover (for a week) at the connection in SF?
It sounds like you might be confusing a reserved stopover with a stopover created by SDCing.

On-topic for this thread, you can attempt an SDC upon arrival at SFO and try to change to a later SFO-NYC flight. If there is availability on a later flight in your fare class, you can confirm the change.

Unfortunately, you can only confirm to a flight departing within 24 hours of the SDC attempt, so you can't immediately change to a flight a week later. (You can try to SDC multiple times, continuing to roll your flights forward up to several days later, but there is a pretty big chance that one of the attempts will fail due to full flights.)

The other downside of this approach: as a non-status passenger on UA, you'll pay $75 each time you confirm a SDC to a later flight. By the time you roll forward to a week later, you could have just booked probably a dozen regular tickets to NYC. It's totally not worth doing it this way for you.

Now, stopover rules are a completely different subject. AFAIK, most fares do allow stopovers, but there's a fee associated with them (it probably depends on the routing and fare rules, but anytime I've done a stopover, it's been a $55 surcharge). You can reserve this stopover by searching for your flights on united.com using the multi-city feature. If the fare rules for your fare state that a stopover is permitted, and if you meet all other requirements for the fare rule (minimum stay, day-of-week traveling, etc.) and the fare class is available on all of your flights, then the total fare you will be shown should be the total AZ-NYC fare plus whatever the stopover surcharge is. (To read the fare rules, either search for your itinerary on http://matrix.itasoftware.com, which will have a link to the fare rules, or subscribe to a service like http://www.expertflyer.com.) Further questions about that, though, are probably best posted in another thread.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:57 pm

Is SDC working for everyone? I fly to MSP tomorrow and have checked in but I can't seem to find the offers to change flights- I just did a SDC 2 weeks ago without any problems- it was a lifesaver. Any ideas?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by jimmyz1
Is SDC working for everyone? I fly to MSP tomorrow and have checked in but I can't seem to find the offers to change flights- I just did a SDC 2 weeks ago without any problems- it was a lifesaver. Any ideas?
There may not be any options offered by the system. In these situations, I typically check the availability (via dummy res) & then call in to see if it qualifies as a SDC.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by mnmag
There may not be any options offered by the system. In these situations, I typically check the availability (via dummy res) & then call in to see if it qualifies as a SDC.
thanks will try that!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA: Premier 1K AA: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Jlove

I will agree 100% with what jackal said
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Intl SDC

Can you SDC an international itinerary when first leg is operated by a partner airline? (LH)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by mbarreto
Can you SDC an international itinerary when first leg is operated by a partner airline? (LH)
The UA segments, yes
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:47 am

I’m flying ORD-IAD-JFK at 6PM Monday on a K fare.

I want to change to ORD-LGA at 6AM Monday with K9 available.

Co-terminal issue aside, when do I call to attempt this change – Sunday at 6AM or Sunday at 6PM?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by infamousdx
I’m flying ORD-IAD-JFK at 6PM Monday on a K fare.

I want to change to ORD-LGA at 6AM Monday with K9 available.

Co-terminal issue aside, when do I call to attempt this change – Sunday at 6AM or Sunday at 6PM?
Sunday 6 pm. Good luck!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by o mikros
Sunday 6 pm. Good luck!
Thanks! Let's hope I get an agent who will do the co-terminal change.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by infamousdx
Thanks! Let's hope I get an agent who will do the co-terminal change.
Just HUCA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.