Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
To confirm something: if K or L opens up at T-3, does it make a difference if you've already done OLCI? In other words, if you've already done OLCI and the fare classes you need open up at any point, will the "Change flights" button come up on either the web or the mobile app? Or should I not OLCI and wait until T-3?
No it does not matter.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Free SDC for ticket booked for someone else?

Searched and wasn't able to find an answer (not sure exactly how to search for this either)--

But would like to know, if I book a revenue ticket for a friend, does that ticket inherit my status for free SDC? (I assume I'd have to put my MP # on the reservation)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by transparent
Searched and wasn't able to find an answer (not sure exactly how to search for this either)--

But would like to know, if I book a revenue ticket for a friend, does that ticket inherit my status for free SDC? (I assume I'd have to put my MP # on the reservation)
No, because you can't put your MP number on a reservation with a different passenger name.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
No, because you can't put your MP number on a reservation with a different passenger name.
D'oh... ok, that makes sense. Never had to book revenue tickets for someone else before. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Standby question.

If my original flight is A to B on Friday, I would like to standby a flight A to C to B on Saturday, is it allowed as SDC?

If not, can I standby A to C to B on Saturday without a fee since I am Plat?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by westlaker
If my original flight is A to B on Friday, I would like to standby a flight A to C to B on Saturday, is it allowed as SDC? ....
as stated on the Same Day Change web page
Changes are only available for the exact origin and destination airport. Connection points may be changed provided the new routing is permitted by the fare purchased.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by westlaker
If not, can I standby A to C to B on Saturday without a fee since I am Plat?
See the URL below:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...Off=1&Mobile=0
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
only SDC >part< of the way?

Currently booked: LAX-LAS-EWR-IST in First/Business (GPUs cleared all the way at time of booking on a W fare). I am 1K, my wife is general member. We are on a single PNR. (The return is a clean IST-EWR-LAX.)
Four questions:
  1. I would love to fly direct LAX-EWR (to catch my flight to IST) and skip the connection in LAS. Can I do a same day change for just the first segments, or does this only work for the true beginning and end points?
  2. Does the rolling 24 hour window allow me to depart a day early for EWR? That is, could I go LAX-EWR the day prior, spend the night, then catch my EWR-IST flight as scheduled? (A night in New York to visit friends before leaving for Europe would be fun and ensure that I am at EWR in time for my long-haul flight vs connection risk which scares me given recent FT chatter.)
  3. Does the no-fee policy apply to me and my wife since on same PNR and I am 1K?
  4. We are on W fare, cleared GPU so showing as R. Assuming I can do one of the above, will they force me into first if there are empty seats or will I get stuck at the bottom of the airport waitlist?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:02 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
On a three-segment one-way, I've had SDC offer me a two-segment possibility.

But does it ever do the reverse? On those days I have time to spare, I'd enjoy an extra segment.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold

But does it ever do the reverse? On those days I have time to spare, I'd enjoy an extra segment.
I think it's rare (personally haven't seen it) for the system to offer a double connection when there are single connection itins possible, even if the only flights with availability are the double connections and are within the routing rules. Calling in has worked for me though.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I did RDU-IAD-BUF back in March and when I checked the machine at IAD (after flying RDU-IAD) I was offered IAD-CLE-BUF. It wasn't an option while doing online check in or at RDU though.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
SDC Questions/Advice

I have a couple of questions regarding the SDC policy as I've never really taken advantage of this benefit before. I'm scheduled to travel for a long weekend trip next Thursday night from BOS-SAN on a cheap G fare ticket I bought about a month ago. Just found out there's something that I need to be home for that evening and would like to go out the following day instead. So my options I think are (1) Change the flight now and pay the $150 change fee plus fare difference, (2) Hope that alternate flights are still available the next day for SDC when I check in earlier that day, (3) Remove that outbound segment from my itinerary and rebook the outbound now and keep the original return, or (4) If SDC is not available or would require a large increase in fare, simply skip my scheduled flight and try to stand by for another flight in BOS the next day (within 24 hours of my original departure).

So my questions are these: When I clicked "Change flights" today just to see what was available, there was only one flight the following day that had G availability but it was too early for me to consider (5:56am). There were a few more flights that had K class available which currently show a $55 fare difference + $150 change fee. Assuming inventory remains consistent, if I wanted to switch to one of those flights when I checked in, can I assume all I'd have to pay (as a 1K) is a $55 fare difference or would the price difference between fare classes increase as the flight date gets closer? And what are the chances of more G class availability being added before the day of departure? Also, if I just simply removed the outbound segment from the itinerary, the return should still be active and I can just rebook the outbound on a separate itinerary and shouldn't have to pay any change fees right? This might be an option as fares are still fairly inexpensive on this route.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by KevinInRI
So my questions are these: When I clicked "Change flights" today just to see what was available, there was only one flight the following day that had G availability but it was too early for me to consider (5:56am). There were a few more flights that had K class available which currently show a $55 fare difference + $150 change fee. Assuming inventory remains consistent, if I wanted to switch to one of those flights when I checked in, can I assume all I'd have to pay (as a 1K) is a $55 fare difference or would the price difference between fare classes increase as the flight date gets closer? And what are the chances of more G class availability being added before the day of departure? Also, if I just simply removed the outbound segment from the itinerary, the return should still be active and I can just rebook the outbound on a separate itinerary and shouldn't have to pay any change fees right? This might be an option as fares are still fairly inexpensive on this route.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Lots of questions. I'll try to answer them.

If you want to SDC you'll need "G" class on the flights you want the following day. You can do OLCI as many times as you want to continue to check for and use the SDC option. In other words, you could SDC to the 5:56am flight and then keep checking later and later into the evening for later flights on the following day. UA typically dumps most seats into all buckets (up to G) on most flights if they aren't oversold about 3 hours before the flight. This means if you SDC to the 5:56am you will need to be sure you can take that flight if no other flights open up. If you miss the flight your ticket is cancelled.

If you remove your outbound segments the entire ticket will be re-priced at current levels for the one-way return you want to keep in there. And, again, this will incur a $150 fee. I think this is the worst option.

Your best bet is to play it safe and pay $205 ($150 + $55) to confirm a "K" class ticket at the times you want right now. SDC is very much a gamble and if you wait too long and "G" never opens up you could wind up having to pay the $150 change fee plus the fare difference to the lowest available bucket which could be something like "Y" or "B" if the flights book up.

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Aug 28, 2012 at 2:49 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:46 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
As for SDC'ing to a "K" fare...that's not possible unfortunately. To use SDC you must have the same fare class available. You can't just buy-up to the next class available without paying the $150 change fee as well.
-RM
Thanks for the quick response but... that seems to contradict what United says on their website about SDC:

The same-day flight change option will be available within 24 hours before your originally scheduled flight. The requested flight can be in any fare class and be departing within 24 hours from the time the request is made. Changes must be made prior to your original scheduled flight.
When the original ticketed fare class is available within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee will apply.
When the original ticketed fare class is not available within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee will apply (instead of the change fee stated in the fare rules) plus any additional collections or refund due.

This I took to mean that if you want to switch to another flight that does not have the original fare class available, you would simply pay the difference in fare and the "same-day flight change fee" (which is $0 for 1Ks) would apply instead of the "change fee stated in the fare rules" ($150). But does this require that there are absolutely NO flights with any availability in the original fare class booked? Or just that the one you want has no inventory in that fare class?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KevinInRI
...But does this require that there are absolutely NO flights with any availability in the original fare class booked? Or just that the one you want has no inventory in that fare class?
the fare class needs to be available on your desired flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.