Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I tried to look once in the middle of the flight on wifi, and it seemed to not have registered it as flown yet, but I'm curious to know others' experiences.
Only experience I've had with wifi flights is either on a leg with >2 segments or on a US-ticketed itinerary, neither of which allowed online changes.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
Smile i Love SDC.

Last weekend I was flying SAN-IAH-MKE saturday early morning departure. Upon OLCI looked into SDC and was given redeye option friday night SAN-EWR-MKE. Took the option and in EWR my flight to MKE was delayed due to crew absence. Had an agent book me on EWR-ORD and dropped MKE.

Coming back, was flying MKE-ORD-SAN and had 1K desk drop my MKE-ORD segment. Upon OLCI found option ORD-EWR-SAN and took it. Spent couple of hours with a buddy in EWR and looked for a later flight from EWR. SDC offered me a later flight with Y availability, I took that flight and it bumped me to FC immediately. I also could have taken EWR-ORD/IAD-SAN the next day.

I love SDC, not sure how UA is allowing this.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Exactly. That was my point.

My conjecture is it is considered flown some time in the middle of flight, between wheels off and touches down. The status updates around the same time as the auto-rebooking system kicks in if misconnect will happen, during the middle of flight according to the time stamp of rebooking email.

Someone who has wifi inflight can try to verify my conjecture.

Originally Posted by seacarl
Also, in some cases the automated system will offer YYY as an additional stopover, but it wasn't allowed under the original fare rules. At least in theory the agents don't do this. My theory is that the automated system doesn't offer that until it consider the segment to XXX flown - when that is, I don't know. It becomes increasingly relevant as we get WiFi on the planes
Old May 13, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
SDC on Tickets Purchased from OTA or Elsewhere?

Any issues SDC-ing if it's a UA ticket, but wasn't purchased from UA? Say it was purchased from Travelocity or even a real travel agent.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Explore
Any issues SDC-ing if it's a UA ticket, but wasn't purchased from UA? Say it was purchased from Travelocity or even a real travel agent.
No. I book almost everything through our corporate travel agent (CWT) and have never had an issue with SDC.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by tashi
Coming back, was flying MKE-ORD-SAN and had 1K desk drop my MKE-ORD segment. Upon OLCI found option ORD-EWR-SAN and took it.
I think you got very lucky, because I don't think they are supposed to let you do this in order to protect fare integrity. Perhaps the IRROPS the day before enabled it. Otherwise, I don't think you can usually get this, just like you usually cannot get a co-terminal changed at origination (much easier as destination since you are at the airport, and airpor agents have more flexibility than phone agents)
Old May 13, 2013, 1:51 pm

Arrow

Last weekend I was flying SAN-IAH-MKE saturday early morning departure. Upon OLCI looked into SDC and was given redeye option friday night SAN-EWR-MKE. Took the option and in EWR my flight to MKE was delayed due to crew absence. Had an agent book me on EWR-ORD and dropped MKE.

Coming back, was flying MKE-ORD-SAN and had 1K desk drop my MKE-ORD segment. Upon OLCI found option ORD-EWR-SAN and took it. Spent couple of hours with a buddy in EWR and looked for a later flight from EWR. SDC offered me a later flight with Y availability, I took that flight and it bumped me to FC immediately. I also could have taken EWR-ORD/IAD-SAN the next day.

I love SDC, not sure how UA is allowing this.
Originally Posted by seacarl
I think you got very lucky, because I don't think they are supposed to let you do this in order to protect fare integrity. Perhaps the IRROPS the day before enabled it. Otherwise, I don't think you can usually get this, just like you usually cannot get a co-terminal changed at origination (much easier as destination since you are at the airport, and airpor agents have more flexibility than phone agents)
I think you didnt read my post where I mentioned that due to crew absence delay on my EWR-MKE flight, I was booked into EWR-ORD. As a result I had them drop my MKE-ORD segment.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I think you didnt read my post where I mentioned that due to crew absence delay on my EWR-MKE flight, I was booked into EWR-ORD. As a result I had them drop my MKE-ORD segment.
It's still odd that it was permitted. You changed a trip to MKE into a trip to ORD. The default would still have been to force you to make your way to MKE for the return.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
But ORD and MKE are just 66 miles apart. When IRROP happens, nothing is impossible.

It's still odd that it was permitted. You changed a trip to MKE into a trip to ORD. The default would still have been to force you to make your way to MKE for the return.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cloudybw
But ORD and MKE are just 66 miles apart. When IRROP happens, nothing is impossible.
Totally agree. Only point was that ending in ORD on the IRROP'd outbound does not by default get you ORD as the origin on the non-IRROP'd inbound.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:02 pm

One can usually find a plausible reason to justify that, especially if it is a same-day turn.

Totally agree. Only point was that ending in ORD on the IRROP'd outbound does not by default get you ORD as the origin on the non-IRROP'd inbound.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:53 pm

I dont want to drift from the original SDC topic, but I told the 1K desk that I was planning to rent a car from ORD so I would like to return back to ORD. She put me on hold for 2 minutes to talk to a supervisor and then came back to tell me the MKE-ORD segment was dropped.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
And to the Silvers out there (like me) that have to cough up the $75 for each SDC, this is one time where it may be worth it to deal with an agent rather than online or a kiosk....since Silver is the only elite level with a charge for SDC, I don't think agents always think to charge it. I made a change over the phone last December and I even asked if there would be a fee and she said no because I was within the timeframe (24 hours) of SDC.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
There is a policy in SDC that wasnt entirely clear to me until this weekend, so I thought I should share it here.

If you are ticketed XXX-YYY-ZZZ in a given class, say, G and you dont care for your layover length at YYY, you can change to an earlier or later XXX-YYY even if the fare class is only available on that segment and is no longer available on the YYY-ZZZ segment. This of course assumes you do not change the time/number of your YYY-ZZZ flight.

As I said before this was not clear to me if the whole itinerary needed to have availability, so I was happy to find this result with "agent xxxxx in Houston" on Sunday when I executed this type of change.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by ddrost1
There is a policy in SDC that wasnt entirely clear to me until this weekend, so I thought I should share it here.

If you are ticketed XXX-YYY-ZZZ in a given class, say, G and you dont care for your layover length at YYY, you can change to an earlier or later XXX-YYY even if the fare class is only available on that segment and is no longer available on the YYY-ZZZ segment. This of course assumes you do not change the time/number of your YYY-ZZZ flight.

As I said before this was not clear to me if the whole itinerary needed to have availability, so I was happy to find this result with "agent xxxxx in Houston" on Sunday when I executed this type of change.
Yes this kind of change can be used to create a stopover and visit a friend at the connecting city (even if G is available on an earlier flight) but I think requires an agent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.