Wiki Posts
Search

Wedding Dress Aboard UA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:02 pm

ORD to OGG for May Wedding

Good Evening all,

This is my first post here!

My fiancé and I will be flying united ORD to OGG(changing planes in HNL) in May for our wedding. I booked awhile ago and was able to use miles to upgrade us on the way there(didn't have enough miles to book both ways.) I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect in First Class on this flight. I've read that the seats are the old "barcalounger" type seats. I saw on United's website that they are 19.3 in wide, and on Seat Guru they are 22in wide. Also wondering about lack of inflight entertainment. We both have Ipad's so I guess it's not a huge problem, but just curious. We flew to Denver awhile back on the newly configured 777 and loved the lie flat seats with personal TV's. What is the end goal for these flights to Hawaii?
Another thing I'm wondering about is the fact that I will be traveling with my wedding gown. I'm HOPING they allow me to hang it in the first class closet. Has anyone had experience with this? Would I be allowed any other carry on, or just the dress?
Any thoughts on these would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks to you all!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by nursemoondah
This is my first post here!....
Another thing I'm wondering about is the fact that I will be traveling with my wedding gown. I'm HOPING they allow me to hang it in the first class closet. Has anyone had experience with this? Would I be allowed any other carry on, or just the dress?)
Welcome to FT, and congratulations on your wedding! Please be advised that UA flight attendants are notorious for keeping their luggage in the F closet. However, perhaps because it a wedding dress, they might be willing to share it with you.

Last edited by 747FC; Dec 13, 2014 at 2:00 am
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Welcome to F, and congratulations on your wedding! Please be advised that UA flight attendants are notorious for keeping their luggage in the F closet. However, perhaps because it a wedding dress, they might be willing to share it with you.
After the Hawaii route 777 F cabin was reconfigured there was a bigger closet added where the old 1A and 1B used to be. Now I know why! Thanks 747FC!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes ORD-HNL is the old barcalounger seat. It reclines quite a ways but does not go all the way flat. There are adjustable leg and footrests. All in all, it is a comfortable seat, with ample personal space.

The only IFE is streaming to your own device and most of these aircraft do not yet have in-seat power so be sure to charge up before you go. They provision these flights with the int'l blankets and pillows which are nice. The food quality is poor, so eat before you board and bring snacks.

They will let you carry on two items - one carry on plus a "personal" item.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
What is the end goal for these flights to Hawaii?
Another thing I'm wondering about is the fact that I will be traveling with my wedding gown. I'm HOPING they allow me to hang it in the first class closet....
You are on the "end goal". Hawaii configuration ex-ORD is barcaloungers, domestic F service/food with a sundae for dessert, streaming (to your device) entertainment. If the catering is correct, a pre-mixed, overly-sweet MaiTai will be available. Ask for a rum so you can make it better. Crew members who have been on Hawaii route often deal w/ wedding dresses, so you'll be OK. The HA flight is likely to be the bigger worry w/ less storage, but those FAs have seen even more wedding dresses and seem to get the things across the water in good shape.

UA gates in Honolulu are at opposite end of airport from inter-island gates. Usually I recommend walking, but with a wedding dress, etc, I'd recommend the WikiWiki bus that loads right outside the gate. It stays behind security.

On landing at OGG, send hubby-to-be immediately w/ wedding dress and as much of the carry-on as he can tote to get the car (assuming a car rental). He might as well adjust to married life. Before sending him off, make sure your bags didn't arrive on earlier HA flight (assuming you're on Hawaiian) and aren't sitting on floor on left side of carousel. After fetching car, he'll arrive shortly (after beating all those who wait for bags before going to rental companies) and you can load up curbside and be off while the others w/o local rides are standing in line at the car counters.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 13, 2014 at 11:18 am
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
No issues with a wedding dress in the closet. We did it with the FA's insisting! Those routes have some fantastic crews. We even got 2 bottles of wine togo.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UAL GS 2MM
Good Evening all,

This is my first post here!

My fiancé and I will be flying united ORD to OGG(changing planes in HNL) in May for our wedding. I booked awhile ago and was able to use miles to upgrade us on the way there(didn't have enough miles to book both ways.) I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect in First Class on this flight. I've read that the seats are the old "barcalounger" type seats. I saw on United's website that they are 19.3 in wide, and on Seat Guru they are 22in wide. Also wondering about lack of inflight entertainment. We both have Ipad's so I guess it's not a huge problem, but just curious. We flew to Denver awhile back on the newly configured 777 and loved the lie flat seats with personal TV's. What is the end goal for these flights to Hawaii?
Another thing I'm wondering about is the fact that I will be traveling with my wedding gown. I'm HOPING they allow me to hang it in the first class closet. Has anyone had experience with this? Would I be allowed any other carry on, or just the dress?
Any thoughts on these would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks to you all!
Congratulations! My wife and I got married in Maui the May before last. Great place! She sent her dress ahead and had it steamed as she was worried about traveling with it (SFO-OGG direct). May be another option to look into so you don't worry about it on the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.