Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Where to find credit from self-cancelled segment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

Is there someplace on-line I can find out if I have any credit from a cancelled (by me) return?

Specifics: Originally flying on paid ticket, SFO-MEX-PTY-LIM and return the same way. Once there, I decided I didn't feel like a 4:50am flight back so I cancelled the return ticket and bought an award ticket for a much-more-favorable 10:30am departure (and C instead of Y).

So I put in a cancel request (which took a while to go through, but eventually did) and just curious if there's anything remaining after fees. I'm guessing that the outbound reverts to one-way fare so there's probably nothing. Just wondering if I have to call to find out (and don't want to be in a situation where they tell me I actually owe them money... which I can't really see happening, but who knows what the rules are? It doesn't tell you anything at all when you cancel the return).

Thanks-
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:00 am

Once you cancel you should see the reservation listed under your canceled itineraries (a tab in manage reservations)... you can also look it up by PNR.

The value of your unused ticket should be listed, and an eticket number should still be associated with it. If it was a refundable fare you should see an option do to so when viewing the reservation.

Otherwise, you can click the "change" link to use the remaining value, or provide the PNR when calling in. Keep in mind the value shown on this view is prior to the deduction of any change fee.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by wto605
Once you cancel you should see the reservation listed under your canceled itineraries (a tab in manage reservations)... you can also look it up by PNR.

The value of your unused ticket should be listed, and an eticket number should still be associated with it. If it was a refundable fare you should see an option do to so when viewing the reservation.

Otherwise, you can click the "change" link to use the remaining value, or provide the PNR when calling in. Keep in mind the value shown on this view is prior to the deduction of any change fee.
Sometimes (and for no good reason) the reservation may show up under the "inactive" tab.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Sometimes (and for no good reason) the reservation may show up under the "inactive" tab.
I don't have a ton of experience canceling tickets, but IME, that's where they always show up for me - the inactive tab.

I guess it's a bit semantics, but when it comes down to it, not sure inactive is any more inaccurate then canceled. It depends what you are referring to - the itinerary (i.e. specific flights) are canceled, but the ticket/PNR is not and so inactive seems like a decent description.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I don't have a ton of experience canceling tickets, but IME, that's where they always show up for me - the inactive tab.

I guess it's a bit semantics, but when it comes down to it, not sure inactive is any more inaccurate then canceled. It depends what you are referring to - the itinerary (i.e. specific flights) are canceled, but the ticket/PNR is not and so inactive seems like a decent description.
Yep, mine showed up under "inactive." But when I selected the "change trip" option to find remaining credit, it gives this error message-
! united.com is unable to initiate your flight change request at this time. Please contact United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED1 to make changes to this Itinerary.
So guess I have to call. Will let FT know what I find out!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Update: No "quick" answer

I called United reservations and was told that "it's not easy" to calculate the remaining value of the ticket, but that it's approximately $450 (less change fees). Seems odd they don't have it set up with an amount easily dropped into the system. I can understand not having it automatically show to the customer, because they make a lot of $$$ on spoilage (un-used credits). I could have pushed and gotten him to run it down on the phone, but he made it pretty obvious that it's a hassle and would have to be re-done whenever I actually booked a flight using the credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.