Wiki Posts
Search

Wedding Dress Aboard UA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Wedding Dress Aboard UA?

My sister, who lives in DEN, is getting married in SFO this summer. When she had her dress tailored today, they said that she couldn't put it in a suitcase and that she would have to hang it on the plane upright somehow.

She's flying DEN-SFO in Y. What are her options in taking care of her dress? Is UA accommodating to this, or would it be best to try to upgrade her to F? She's flying with my mom, who is a 2P, but it's impossible for 2Ps to upgrade on that route, so should she fork over some miles/cash to ensure that her dress is hung somewhere and makes the flight safely?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I'm sure the FAs would be willing to hang the dress in the F closet.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
The crew on-board can usually do a great job of taking care of special carry-ons.

Sometimes it's in an obvious way -- some UA equipment (757, non-TED A320, 767) has closets.

Sometimes it's a little more tricky -- there's space to hang coats behind F on the A319 and the ex-TED A320, and I'm sure the crew could find some room.

And sometimes it's just creative -- I've seen stuff travel in the cockpit.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:55 am

When travelling to our wedding in Y on CO we had to put my wife's dress in the overhead bin. It was fine except for the $&#@(*)%! that saw what it was, shrugged, and shoved it off to one side before the helpful FAs could come over and tell them to put their bag elsewhere. It wasn't a full flight so it worked out, but had it been full we would've had problems as CO's 737s have closets about what you would find on a CR7.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Not to be the voice of doom, but you could also run into the cranky FAs on a full plane who tell you it isn't their problem. Also isn't UA running UX flights on that route now? I don't know if there is any place to put it on a CRJ.

You could look into getting a long box (I'm sure they have boxes for shipping wedding dresses) and have it shipped. If it is that special, I'm not really sure I'd count on cooperative flight operations (not to mention TSA) at DEN.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Not to be the voice of doom, but you could also run into the cranky FAs on a full plane who tell you it isn't their problem. Also isn't UA running UX flights on that route now? I don't know if there is any place to put it on a CRJ.

You could look into getting a long box (I'm sure they have boxes for shipping wedding dresses) and have it shipped. If it is that special, I'm not really sure I'd count on cooperative flight operations (not to mention TSA) at DEN.
+1

As well as one less item of stress for the bride to be.

While it is only a 3 day point......Use a priority type service (UPS Red/Blue/FedEx Priority, etc), and assign it a high value (what it would cost to replace last minute).

Also, IIRC some bridal botiques offer this type of service, have her check the one she used.

Originally Posted by char777
She's flying with my mom, who is a 2P, but it's impossible for 2Ps to upgrade on that route, so should she fork over some miles/cash to ensure that her dress is hung somewhere and makes the flight safely?
If you don't go with the shipping ahead of time, I would try to confirm an upgrade.

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Apr 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm Reason: fixed quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

DEN-SFO is a hub to hub flight, no UX.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Gold
I'd think regardless of how nasty the FA's are...I'd think [hope] they'd be accommodating of a wedding dress. The bigger issue is TSA swabbing the crap out of it
Old Apr 27, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: UA G
You'll be fine in Y. The FAs on mainline flights tend to be very accomodating for this sort of thing.

While not of the same scale, I once brought a bouquet flowers on the plane and the FAs volunteered to keep them on ice for me. Very nice gesture. ^
Old Apr 27, 2011, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by 323power
I'd think regardless of how nasty the FA's are...I'd think [hope] they'd be accommodating of a wedding dress. The bigger issue is TSA swabbing the crap out of it
No kidding. Get to the airport early. And ask for early boarding if possible to get the dress situated.

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
No kidding. Get to the airport early. And ask for early boarding if possible to get the dress situated.

Cheers.
OP indicates they are traveling with a 2P, so shouldn't be a problem.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
The missus and i got married in HNL in Jan. we flew BOS-SFO-HNL (and back), and on each of the 6 legs, we had wonderful treatment on board (even when flying E+ on half the segments). they put her dress in the closet with no questions asked.

on the final flight, while sitting E+, they even gave us a congratulatory bottle of wine! very nice touch.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
A wedding dress is a bit too formal for UA, even for non-revs in F.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:48 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
+1

As well as one less item of stress for the bride to be.

While it is only a 3 day point......Use a priority type service (UPS Red/Blue/FedEx Priority, etc), and assign it a high value (what it would cost to replace last minute).

Also, IIRC some bridal botiques offer this type of service, have her check the one she used.

If you don't go with the shipping ahead of time, I would try to confirm an upgrade.
+1 to all of jhayes's advice above.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Not to be the voice of doom, but you could also run into the cranky FAs on a full plane who tell you it isn't their problem.
+2

Technically, Y pax are not supposed to use the F closet anyway. The FA can also say F closet is full, therefore you are on your own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.