Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Receives FAA Single Operating Certificate on 30 November 2011 [Updated Title]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO/UA Receives FAA Single Operating Certificate on 30 November 2011 [Updated Title]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EWR756
The FAA has a dual mandate. The conflict created by that mandate has been debated ad nauseam.
So does ALPA.

Actually, ALPA's might not be quite so dual below the surface. I do not for a minute believe that the union actually cares more about safety than the FAA or management does and that the safety concerns drive most of their negotiating points. The union exists to make sure that its members get the best deal they can. Any claims otherwise start running down a quite interesting path.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
FTer common wisdom, if status is linked, use the program of the flight operator

not at this time, only PresPlat>Plat
Yes, but mixed situation. CO metal and UA metal.
Received 1 upgrade on CO outbound and I suspect I will get CO return upgrade in 2 days. So then I guess I could switch to the UA 1K number for the two UA flights? Would that cause me to lose the CO upgrades?

To get back on topic - the reason for the post was that CO flights connecting to a UA flight only show the CO metal as a UA flight number only (now).
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by DLPhoenix
I also find it difficult, mainly because the guys who are the experts in this matter (the FAA) find it to be safe.
I have no clue about flight safety, but I have to trust the official authority in this matter (or stop flying).

DLP
For those of us in the industry calling the FAA experts is comical! The gentleman for the FAA overseeing the flight ops side of the merger is named Bobby Hedlund. Here's a little bit of history of this 'expert in safety'.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...outhwest_N.htm
...here's what happened while this 'expert in safety' presided over the Southwest Region of the FAA

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/h...rs-in-7150.ece

"This is the most flagrant conflict of interest that I have ever witnessed in my 20-year career in the federal government."

I know shocking an official of a government agency that is a weak knee YES man to industry pressure groups. Just the type of guy to stand up to Sismek and his DC minions. This just about sums up what the reality of the FAA's dual mandate. Any casual look at accident history reveals a long trend of FAA having a delayed reactionary response to safety.

Last edited by cv11nyc; Nov 27, 2011 at 8:39 pm
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by cv11nyc
I know shocking an official of a government agency that is a weak knee YES man to industry pressure groups. Just the type of guy to stand up to Sismek and his DC minions. This just about sums up what the reality of the FAA's dual mandate. Any casual look at accident history reveals a long trend of FAA having a delayed reactionary response to safety.
Every federal regulatory agency is under pressure to kowtow to their industry "partners" lest the regulatory pressure affects the industry bottom line. The most recent example was the Deepwater Horizon debacle, which among other reforms has seen the Department of the Interior significantly restructure the office charged with regulating the offshore oil and gas industry. In a prior federal employment, I had first hand experience in being redirected away from an enforcement area because we were too successful at uncovering CFR violations.

I don't have any direct knowledge of the FAA, but unless they are an agency completely different from the rest of the federal government, I have no doubt they have been pressured in the past to go easy on the industry. Yes, the pilot's union might have ulterior motives, but I doubt the FAA is a virgin.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cv11nyc
For those of us in the industry calling the FAA experts is comical! The gentleman for the FAA overseeing the flight ops side of the merger is named Bobby Hedlund. Here's a little bit of history of this 'expert in safety'.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...outhwest_N.htm
...here's what happened while this 'expert in safety' presided over the Southwest Region of the FAA

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/h...rs-in-7150.ece

"This is the most flagrant conflict of interest that I have ever witnessed in my 20-year career in the federal government."

Well said...my own experiences working with the FAA on safety(aerospace medicine) has been one of being unwilling to rock the boat until a disaster happens...and then they plead ignorance and do as little as possible to appease the public and Congress!

To be completely honest, I have flown UA for the last 35 years for one reason and one reason only...they hired the best pilots and trained them in the best manner possible. There is a reason that the Air Force used UA's training for Air Force One and other SAM flights...it is the best in the business...and I know this first hand as I trained there in the early 80's during my tenure in the Air Force!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:59 am

Programs: UA - 1K, DL - Plat
Soc - 11/30/2011

Looks like the SOC is coming on 11/30/11 at 6am:

Date: November 25, 2011
Expires: December 31, 2011
File #: I – 11 – 212
Subject: Single Call Sign Migration
To: All B756 Pilots
On the last day of November, Continental Flight 86 will arrive in Newark from Shanghai. When
the crew accepts their clearance to the gate, it will mark the last time we utter “Continental” on
our radios. While we will experience mixed emotions with the retirement of our proud call sign,
our brand and our heritage lives on.
The Air Carrier Certificate employed by legacy United Airlines (UALA011A) will cease to
operate at 0600 Central time (1200Z) on 11/30/11. All legacy Continental and legacy United
flights will operate using the certificate currently employed by Continental (CALA014A). Both
legacy airlines will file flight plans and operate with “United” flight numbers.

Interestingly enough, Legacy United's certificate is actually newer than Continental's. PMUA UALA011A - 04/01/1954 PMCO CALA014A - 07/11/1938.

Oh well, hopefully I'll get more upgrades as a UA 1K than a CO Plat

Cheers,

-Chris
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mustangthz
Looks like the SOC is coming on 11/30/11 at 6am:

Date: November 25, 2011
Expires: December 31, 2011
File #: I – 11 – 212
Subject: Single Call Sign Migration
To: All B756 Pilots
On the last day of November, Continental Flight 86 will arrive in Newark from Shanghai. When
the crew accepts their clearance to the gate, it will mark the last time we utter “Continental” on
our radios. While we will experience mixed emotions with the retirement of our proud call sign,
our brand and our heritage lives on.
The Air Carrier Certificate employed by legacy United Airlines (UALA011A) will cease to
operate at 0600 Central time (1200Z) on 11/30/11. All legacy Continental and legacy United
flights will operate using the certificate currently employed by Continental (CALA014A). Both
legacy airlines will file flight plans and operate with “United” flight numbers.

Interestingly enough, Legacy United's certificate is actually newer than Continental's. PMUA UALA011A - 04/01/1954 PMCO CALA014A - 07/11/1938.

Oh well, hopefully I'll get more upgrades as a UA 1K than a CO Plat

Cheers,

-Chris
RIP - Continental...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
RIP - Continental...

You will be missed.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:51 am

Does this mean they will paint over the "operated by Continental" text that was added to PMCO aircraft underneath the aircraft number?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Does this mean they will paint over the "operated by Continental" text that was added to PMCO aircraft underneath the aircraft number?
I believe that text reads "Operated by CAL ALPA" (or similar) and that it will remain. But I'm not sure.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
This is it!

I think this is it...from looking through the schedules airlines have filed with the FAA for tomorrow's flights, all departures after about 1420Z-1430Z (0920-0930 EST) on November 30 are filed under the UAL code.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
What happens at SOC

What happens at SOC?
  • Continental call signs convert to United call signs
  • FAA and air traffic control consider CO and UA a single airline, United
  • CO and UA will continue to market flights separately to customers
  • Procedures for handle carry-on baggage to aircraft evacuation procedures, pilot checklists and de-icing among others will be the same

Because a single passenger service system (PSS) will come later in March 2012, customers won't see a huge change on the day CO and UA operate under a single certificate.

In January 2012, operating statistics will be reported as a single carrier (United) to the Department of Transportation
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
It's been a good ride, my friend.

Thank you, Continental, for providing me and my family so much over the years.

It is with bittersweet emotion that I bid you farewell. RIP.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
What happens at SOC?
  • Continental call signs convert to United call signs
  • FAA and air traffic control consider CO and UA a single airline, United
  • CO and UA will continue to market flights separately to customers
  • Procedures for handle carry-on baggage to aircraft evacuation procedures, pilot checklists and de-icing among others will be the same

Because a single passenger service system (PSS) will come later in March 2012, customers won't see a huge change on the day CO and UA operate under a single certificate.

In January 2012, operating statistics will be reported as a single carrier (United) to the Department of Transportation
Thanks - very informative and helpful.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I think this is it...from looking through the schedules airlines have filed with the FAA for tomorrow's flights, all departures after about 1420Z-1430Z (0920-0930 EST) on November 30 are filed under the UAL code.
And since my last post, I've been wondering--why the switchover at 1420Z-1430Z? My suspicion: Is the time chosen to accommodate COA79 NRT-HKG-SGN arriving HKG at 2130 HKT (1330Z) and departing 2220 HKT (1420Z)?

Planes turning around from COA to UAL is one thing, but same-aircraft continuation flight on foreign soil switching codes with crew and passengers on board is a totally different thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.