Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Receives FAA Single Operating Certificate on 30 November 2011 [Updated Title]

CO/UA Receives FAA Single Operating Certificate on 30 November 2011 [Updated Title]

Old Apr 25, 11, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Is the day CO and UA become one.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 25, 11 at 2:04 pm Reason: revised title
Old Apr 25, 11, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
It's funny that this date is set, but apparently not customer day 1.
Old Apr 25, 11, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP & Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globlalist
Internal memo? Did they see my FT handle by any chance?
Old Apr 25, 11, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Why would they pick a mid month/mid quarter date with eoy right around the corner? Where'd this come from?
Old Apr 25, 11, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by GoingAway View Post
Why would they pick a mid month/mid quarter date with eoy right around the corner? Where'd this come from?
A.net? There was a post about that this morning, but no credible source quoted that I saw. Not saying that's not true, but it does surprise me. Everything we've I've heard to date talked about both airlines merging into CO's SOC by mid-2012.
Old Apr 25, 11, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
Source?

From everything I have read, they expect the single op cert to be in hand at the beginning of 2012..
Old Apr 25, 11, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
Source?

From everything I have read, they expect the single op cert to be in hand at the beginning of 2012..
They've actually been talking about end of 2011 on the earnings calls for the last couple quarters.
Old Apr 25, 11, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
It's as good a day as any.. a Friday during a slow time of year for travel so if there are big systems implementation issues that occur they've got the weekend to sort them out.
Old Apr 25, 11, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Um ... that IS veterans day, so its a long weekend for many, and therefore a heavier travel period. Not to mention just a mere two weeks before thanksgiving, so I would doubt referring to November as a "slow" period is really correct.
Old Apr 25, 11, 11:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by GoingAway View Post
Um ... that IS veterans day, so its a long weekend for many, and therefore a heavier travel period. Not to mention just a mere two weeks before thanksgiving, so I would doubt referring to November as a "slow" period is really correct.
It definitely is a slow period.. why do you think DEQM has always been offered between mid Oct & mid-Dec (except 2010 of course)? Other than the week of Thanksgiving, it's a very slow time of year.
Old Apr 25, 11, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD View Post
They've actually been talking about end of 2011 on the earnings calls for the last couple quarters.
As well as the merger page:

http://www.unitedcontinentalholdings...?section=about
United and Continental will continue to operate separately under United Continental Holdings, Inc. until receipt of a single operating certificate from the Federal Aviation Administration, which they expect to receive by the end of 2011.
Also, we could be talking about a few different things. IIRC customer day one is supposed to happen sometime over the summer (one website, one checkin counter, one livery, etc.) and that could happen pretty much at any time (although one would assume they would "highlight" that day). And while everything may seem integrated, they can still fly as two seperate airlines beyond customer day one. Furthermore, isn't the single operating certificate "day" almost totally continent upon the FAA/DoT (or whatever gov't body) approval (or issuing the certificate)?
Old Apr 25, 11, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA
There are so many variables between now and November that, other than possibly being an internal target/goal, I can't imagine this is true.

It's like saying "oh, we'll have all our 777s in new config by 3/18/2012". Impossible to target so far out.
Old Apr 25, 11, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by TheBagman View Post
There are so many variables between now and November that, other than possibly being an internal target/goal, I can't imagine this is true.
Obviously the date could move, but maybe they're actually targeting being ready by mid-Oct and have a month (or even more) of contingency.
Old Apr 25, 11, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
IIRC customer day one is supposed to happen sometime over the summer (one website, one checkin counter, one livery, etc.) and that could happen pretty much at any time (although one would assume they would "highlight" that day).
This may happen elsewhere, but it won't happen in 2011 for SEA, according to the Port of Seattle, the operator for SEA. CO's flights won't be merged into UA's gates until 2012, nor will their desks be together. (A bunch of airlines are all being swapped around at SEA, the thread is in this forum somewhere.)
Old Apr 25, 11, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
IIRC customer day one is supposed to happen sometime over the summer (one website, one checkin counter, one livery, etc.)
None of those things are part of Customer Day One AFAIK. It is more focused on a seamless set of rules and policies, not full consolidation of all services. There are fare too many places that will not be able to handle things like relocating all the gates and counters even by the end of this year.

Search this Thread