Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airways Magazine - June 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Airways Magazine - June 2011

I just received the June 2011 edition of Airways Magazine and on the front cover is a photograph of a 747-400 in the new merger colours and graphics - sans the tulip of the traditional United Airlines. Inside the magazine there is a four page article on the merger. http://airwaysmag.com/

No, I am not affiliated with the magazine- just thought some FTers would be interested
Old Apr 23, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
Interesting

The new logo is like a fungus, it grows on you. But the more I look at in on the WB aircraft, I need a lot of Lamasil. Most airlines are going to a mostly white livery. Thought it is being sold as a cost saving measure (pigment free paint is cheaper (fact) and it reflects the heat and cools the aircraft more effiently (in theory), I have to say seeing the 747 in a picture looks OK, but seeing it at the gate, exteremely plain. I just flew through NRT and I got to see every paint combination on every United and Continental paint sceme, it leaves a lot to be desired. Further flying and 777 with new paint and old interior. What the heck man. The new effort is about painting A/C vice product. Most 747 have been painted in the last 5 years and there are already several A/C in the new CO/UA paint, where a there are domestict WB/NB that haven't been painted since they were bought.

I understand it comes down to cost and what is reasonable. But when you two different interior products, who cares about paint. US/AW merged 5+ years agao and they still dont' have one contract and still have blue US aircraft, outside the carpeting on the bulkhead, the interior and service is the same. Flying both UA/CO, they both have their nuances (sp), but zero consistancy between both. So now the priority is painting all the aircraft then, getting to E+ in the CO fleet. You need to make money, cut PRASM to show Load Factor incease, but with 2.5" sear recline, what does 31" or 34" pitch really matter.

So here what really grinds my gears, please make a consisitant product and I'll be happy. Also, with the CO paint sceme the BUNO number is below the wings, so unlike the UA scheme, I can't tell who owns it from the gate.

Sorry, a few too many Singapore Slings at Raffles.

Last edited by shttrdrvr; Apr 25, 2011 at 6:13 pm Reason: Too many slings. Sorry for spelling work.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by shttrdrvr
Most 747 have been painted in the last 5 years and there are already several A/C in the paint, where a there are domestick WB/NB that haven't been painted since they were bought.
you know they did this purely for the photo op...might as well have painted "SMISEK'S EGO" in huge letters on the side...
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I like the juxtapositioning in the promo page for the Airways stories, with the photo of the new UA livery directly over a photo of Japan AL's retiring its last 747. Are UA's 41-year's old too?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
Where to buy?

Is this magazine available at newsstands, preferably not in an airport? I've come across Airliner World and Airports of the World at newsstands in non-US airports...

Just curious.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I don't look at them, but there is usually quite a few airline/airliner magazines at Barnes & Noble.
Old May 6, 2011, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tex1899
Is this magazine available at newsstands, preferably not in an airport? I've come across Airliner World and Airports of the World at newsstands in non-US airports...

Just curious.
You can order it online at the company's website listed in the original post.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by shttrdrvr
The new logo is like a fungus, it grows on you. But the more I look at in on the WB aircraft, I need a lot of Lamasil. Most airlines are going to a mostly white livery. Thought it is being sold as a cost saving measure (pigment free paint is cheaper (fact) and it reflects the heat and cools the aircraft more effiently (in theory), I have to say seeing the 747 in a picture looks OK, but seeing it at the gate, exteremely plain. I just flew through NRT and I got to see every paint combination on every United and Continental paint sceme, it leaves a lot to be desired. Further flying and 777 with new paint and old interior. What the heck man. The new effort is about painting A/C vice product. Most 747 have been painted in the last 5 years and there are already several A/C in the new CO/UA paint, where a there are domestict WB/NB that haven't been painted since they were bought.

I understand it comes down to cost and what is reasonable. But when you two different interior products, who cares about paint. US/AW merged 5+ years agao and they still dont' have one contract and still have blue US aircraft, outside the carpeting on the bulkhead, the interior and service is the same. Flying both UA/CO, they both have their nuances (sp), but zero consistancy between both. So now the priority is painting all the aircraft then, getting to E+ in the CO fleet. You need to make money, cut PRASM to show Load Factor incease, but with 2.5" sear recline, what does 31" or 34" pitch really matter.

So here what really grinds my gears, please make a consisitant product and I'll be happy. Also, with the CO paint sceme the BUNO number is below the wings, so unlike the UA scheme, I can't tell who owns it from the gate.

Sorry, a few too many Singapore Slings at Raffles.
Not only are you correct about pigment free paint being cheaper, it's weighs less. The aerospace companies providing paint (I used to work for one) are trying to find ways to help the airlines reduce weight on their planes not only with the paints but also the sealants applied.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
I don't look at them, but there is usually quite a few airline/airliner magazines at Barnes & Noble.
I do the same with the nudie magazines that they keep on the very top shelf of the airport newstands. You know, the ones wrapped in plastic with the opaque covering of the covers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.