FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The Penalty Box (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1200295-penalty-box.html)

jlemon Jul 16, 2011 1:32 pm

And I just remembered something else concerning the rear airstair on the 727 specifically with regard to NW.....

That's how a "gentleman" by the name of D.B. Cooper exited a NW operated 727 while in en route.......

I do not think he accrued any FF miles concerning this flight......

sbm12 Jul 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Relaxing on the High Line this afternoon. Dozens of people have taken my photo as I'm sitting out here getting a suntan and taking advantage of the free wifi to get some work done as well. One was a random woman who sat down on the (single person) chair I'm on and snuggled up next to me while her husband snapped said photo. Yeah, that one was strange (I did offer to move but she wanted me in the photo).

Gotta love NYC.

radonc1 Jul 17, 2011 6:43 am

Another interesting milk run my father made in the late 60's was from TUS to ABQ on the original Frontier airlines in a DC-3 which made about 3 stops between the 2 cities. When he came home, he gave me his paper ticket, an airline schedule and other memorabilia. Sorry I don't have it anymore.

On another topic, off to MIA to day for a day on the beach (NOT) but I will be on Miami beach working for the entire Monday, so no play time for me. Home Monday night. I connect in EWR going so if anyone is there....let me know. I will be planted in one of the PCs, enjoying the karma of the "towers of carbo power". Maybe I should say "Carbo Tower Power" (CTP for short).

Coming back on US :eek:
Going to see if I can get the counter agent to move me out of the middle seats in old 737s.

HeathrowGuy Jul 17, 2011 8:23 am

MERGER UPDATE

As United and Continental integrate operations and align products and services, blah blah blah. In response to Teh Box feedback, status update messages will be discontinued, effective immediately.

The merger of United and Continental will feature a blend of the best of both airlines. However, on occasion a good practice from one carrier may not be well-received when applied to customers of both carriers. As we recently witnessed, OUA Milepointers were none too pleased when OCO boarding policies were applied to the New United. And here, OCO Milepointers are none too happy with OUA-style classification and regimentation of New United Penalty Box posts, preferring the OCO Penalty Box format. These teething pains will be part of the merger integration process from time to time, but they are learned from, and things get adjusted as need be.

sbm12 Jul 17, 2011 10:53 am

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy (Post 16743065)
MERGER UPDATE

As United and Continental integrate operations and align products and services, blah blah blah. In response to Teh Box feedback, status update messages will be discontinued, effective immediately.

The merger of United and Continental will feature a blend of the best of both airlines. However, on occasion a good practice from one carrier may not be well-received when applied to customers of both carriers. As we recently witnessed, OUA Milepointers were none too pleased when OCO boarding policies were applied to the New United. And here, OCO Milepointers are none too happy with OUA-style classification and regimentation of New United Penalty Box posts, preferring the OCO Penalty Box format. These teething pains will be part of the merger integration process from time to time, but they are learned from, and things get adjusted as need be.

Upgrade Status: Double Op-Up from a G fare. ;)

seacarl Jul 17, 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16740560)
Relaxing on the High Line this afternoon. Dozens of people have taken my photo as I'm sitting out here getting a suntan and taking advantage of the free wifi to get some work done as well. One was a random woman who sat down on the (single person) chair I'm on and snuggled up next to me while her husband snapped said photo. Yeah, that one was strange (I did offer to move but she wanted me in the photo).

Gotta love NYC.

Where's the like button? Oh, that's Milepoint feature

SFOTerry Jul 17, 2011 12:49 pm

Me no gotta love NYC. :p

:rolleyes:

photog72 Jul 17, 2011 6:39 pm

LOLing at all the people in the midwest/northeast and elsewhere expecting the "extreme heat." Upper 90s/low 100s... welcome to teh Pit. heh :rolleyes: We get it all summer - no breaks.

monitor Jul 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by photog72 (Post 16746005)
LOLing at all the people in the midwest/northeast and elsewhere expecting the "extreme heat." Upper 90s/low 100s... welcome to teh Pit. heh :rolleyes: We get it all summer - no breaks.

I am up in NYC right now for another few days and wish I was down on the beach in So Fla where it is 85-90 all summer long with all day sea breezes before the late afternoon thunderstorms which signal the start of cocktail hour and cool the place down. :-:

I :rolleyes: when I hear people scoffing about "how hot it is in Florida in the summer." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cheepneezy Jul 17, 2011 7:13 pm

I broke down and actually put in the window AC unit today.:p Haven't actually turned it on yet though.:D

monitor Jul 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by cheepneezy (Post 16746174)
I broke down and actually put in the window AC unit today.:p Haven't actually turned it on yet though.:D

Did that skating pond in your town melt down yet? :D

photog72 Jul 17, 2011 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by cheepneezy (Post 16746174)

I wish I had that problem. My last electric bill was $295. :(

jackal Jul 18, 2011 1:15 am

I can barely sleep at night, it's so hot. I mean, who can sleep when it's 55 degrees at night?! :mad:

Good news: I'll be camping in Wainwright, Alaska on Tuesday night. It'll be a nice, balmy 44 at night. Should have no trouble falling asleep in my 0-degree sleeping bag. :cool: (Might even need to unzip it! :eek:)

monitor Jul 18, 2011 5:44 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 16747312)
I can barely sleep at night, it's so hot. I mean, who can sleep when it's 55 degrees at night?! :mad:..

This is a guy who was brought up in California and claims to now be ready to take a job in the lower 48 if one came up. :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to see what he would do if he were offered a good job where there really are some of them around, maybe a place like Teh Pit. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We might never hear the end of his complaints about the weather. :eek:

SFOTerry Jul 18, 2011 6:53 am

80F before 6am here. Forecast high is 108F. ^

jackal Jul 18, 2011 6:53 am

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 16747882)
This is a guy who was brought up in California and claims to now be ready to take a job in the lower 48 if one came up. :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to see what he would do if he were offered a good job where there really are some of them around, maybe a place like Teh Pit. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We might never hear the end of his complaints about the weather. :eek:

Y'all have something down there that we don't (or, I suppose we normally do, naturally): Air Conditioning.

I look forward to availing myself of this fine technology on a very regular basis.

El_Chiflero Jul 18, 2011 8:20 am

Morning Box!

sbm12 Jul 18, 2011 8:38 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I have to pack for 3 days in SE Asia and 8 in S. Africa/S. America. This is going to be entertaining. There is a 40 degree difference in the temps between the cities I'm visiting. :eek:

paranoiatx Jul 18, 2011 8:48 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16748746)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I have to pack for 3 days in SE Asia and 8 in S. Africa/S. America. This is going to be entertaining. There is a 40 degree difference in the temps between the cities I'm visiting. :eek:

It felt just as wrong to pack ski gloves & hat for Dubai. :eek:

cheepneezy Jul 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 16746186)
Did that skating pond in your town melt down yet? :D

:D It's time to start stacking firewood again.

Originally Posted by photog72 (Post 16746226)
I wish I had that problem. My last electric bill was $295. :(

Allow me to introduce you to my $375+ heating bill which is only the natural gas part. Electric is $200ish more.

photog72 Jul 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by cheepneezy (Post 16751834)
Allow me to introduce you to my $375+ heating bill which is only the natural gas part. Electric is $200ish more.

What's the $200-ish electric bill for in the winter? We're only cooling a 1523 sq. ft. townhouse.

cheepneezy Jul 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by photog72 (Post 16751871)
What's the $200-ish electric bill for in the winter? We're only cooling a 1523 sq. ft. townhouse.

I believe it's for my DVRs. :D (I just read they're the biggest power hog that no one knows about.) Actually, I have to subtract $30 from the 200 because I have a security light that I rent pole space for from National Grid. And power costs are about 50% higher in NY from TX.

SFOTerry Jul 18, 2011 6:21 pm

108F outside. :D:D:D

monitor Jul 18, 2011 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 16752666)
108F outside. :D:D:D

Where are you right now? It certainly does not get within 30-40 degrees of that in SFO.

jlemon Jul 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Evening Box....

Not too hot here in New Orleans this evening....actually quite nice, although it's a bit steamy after half a foot rain in some south Looziana locations earlier today.....

But it's nothing a nice cold microbrew and some fresh oysters from Crescent City Brewing Company in the Quarter won't alleviate.....

SFOTerry Jul 18, 2011 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 16752735)
Where are you right now?

PSP

monitor Jul 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 16752959)
PSP

This is a place that can get very hot. What brings you there as opposed to, say, LAS or RNO?

SFOTerry Jul 18, 2011 8:14 pm

Timeshare. And we love this weather. (AC doesn't hurt ;))

About to watch the Dodgers/Giants game on the Dodgers channel.

Gotta love Vinnie! ^^^

snod08 Jul 19, 2011 6:27 am

Hello Classic B:rolleyes:x.
Home of the ^

Trustguy Jul 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 16753222)
Timeshare. And we love this weather. (AC doesn't hurt ;))

About to watch the Dodgers/Giants game on the Dodgers channel.

Gotta love Vinnie! ^^^

There is no better way to watch baseball than with Vin Scully announcing. :-:

SFOTerry Jul 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Trustguy (Post 16757655)

Especially when the Giants beat the Dodgers. :D

Like they will again tonight. :p^:cool:

Trustguy Jul 19, 2011 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 16757809)
Especially when the Giants beat the Dodgers. :D

:rolleyes:

:D

El_Chiflero Jul 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Trustguy (Post 16757655)

Agree completely! Can't believe McScumbag owed him over $100,000 in back pay!!

sbm12 Jul 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Mmmmm....In-n-Out. :D

Just had an OZ cargo 744 and an AA 772 fly by. Good times. :cool:

SFOSpiff Jul 19, 2011 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16760022)
Mmmmm....In-n-Out. :D

Just had an OZ cargo 744 and an AA 772 fly by. Good times. :cool:

Sounds like fun; my In-n-Out experience across from SJC today was watching a couple of Southwest planes land - it's just not the same.

I only discovered the LAX In-n-Out by accident; the signs coming out of the car rental weren't very clear, but I knew Sepulveda would get me to the 105, and of course I had to stop. :D

sbm12 Jul 19, 2011 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff (Post 16760782)
Sounds like fun; my In-n-Out experience across from SJC today was watching a couple of Southwest planes land - it's just not the same.

I had a few of those, too. Plus a couple ERJs and even one of the UAX E20s. I think I got DL (777), AA (777), AS, WS, US and VX, too. But nothing quite as special as the 744 rumbling in overhead. That's just awesome (the good kind).

Starwood Lurker Jul 20, 2011 1:08 pm

poasty post

GTITAN Jul 20, 2011 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 16764799)
poasty post

Bag Lady's Husband!:-:

Starwood Lurker Jul 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by GTITAN (Post 16764846)

I'm afraid this a case of mistaken identity. :p

snod08 Jul 20, 2011 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by GTITAN (Post 16764846)

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 16765149)
I'm afraid this a case of mistaken identity. :p

GTITAN Always says this.....i almost believe this is true!!