Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Checking in and departing from IAH:

Terminal C has the most reliably open Precheck and Premier Access security lanes. Consider checking in and clearing security in at Terminal C even if departing from another terminal.

There are no UA check-in counters in Terminal A, even though UA has a few flights that depart from Terminal A. Check in at Terminal B or C.

There is an underground, somewhat slow landside tram system (the Subway) that runs between the basement level of all terminals (plus the on-site Marriott hotel) outside of security. (The Subway was built by Disney and modeled after their PeopleMover ride. It's worth a look if you're into that sort of thing.)

Recommended practices for transiting IAH:

IAH is a huge airport, but all terminals are very conveniently connected by a very frequent, fast airside tram system (the Skyway) inside security. You can pretty much get from any point in the airport to any other point in the airport within about 15 minutes (with a combination of Skyway and a brisk walk) without reclearing security. UA publishes as low as a 35-minute minimum connect time (MCT) at IAH, and while you shouldn't dilly-dally, this is doable on a typical domestic-domestic connection. (It helps if your inbound is not delayed and you're seated towards the front of the plane, of course; your departure flight will be almost fully boarded by the time you get there, but you'll make it.)

Note that the higher-numbered C gates (C29-C45, aka "C South") are directly connected to the E terminal by a walkway. It is usually faster to walk from C South to E (especially the low E gates) than it is to take the train. Similarly, C North (C14-C27) are directly connected to the D terminal, though the Skyway is not really out of the way and is useful if going from a low C gate to a high D gate (C24 to D10, for example). Terminal A and Terminal B are not connected by any walkways, and you must use the Skyway to change to or from these terminals.

For international arrivals: after clearing customs, stay to the left of the baggage re-check belts and follow signs to exit to arrivals (like you're going to curbside). Once in the arrivals lobby, take the elevator or escalator up one floor to find a PreCheck checkpoint and a usually-less-crowded regular checkpoint. If you ignore this advice and proceed up the escalator behind the baggage re-check area, the transit security checkpoint there is often congested and does not have a separate PreCheck checkpoint.

While perhaps not usually recommended, in a pinch, with Global Entry, no checked bags, and PreCheck, it is possible to make a one-hour (or even slightly less) connection by following the above instructions specifically (on a good day, it can take less than 30 minutes from flight arrival to sitting in the Terminal E United Club, as one member reported in the thread). Without Global Entry and with checked luggage (which must be retrieved to go through customs and dropped back off after clearing customs), especially if you are a foreign resident, expect the immigration and customs process to take longer, so allow enough time accordingly. For UA-UA international-international connections (ITI), there is a special immigration line that usually moves pretty quickly, and your baggage will be checked through and does not need to be retrieved to go through customs. No need to collect checked luggage while transiting through IAH. [OneStop]

Again, do not follow signs for international connections up the escalator behind the baggage re-check area; exit to the arrivals waiting area and re-enter one floor above through normal airport security. A map follows for visual learners:

Terminal E arrivals level / departures level:

The marked elevator will spit you out literally directly in front of the PreCheck checkpoint.

Standard UA-UA MCT table for IAH:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at IAH
Incoming airline UA
Outgoing airline UA

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .45 1.00 1.00 1.15
OFFLINE .45 1.00 1.00 1.15
There are lots of exceptions, though, and some specific flights have as low as a 35-minute MCT, which is doable as mentioned above. IAH is a very efficiently designed airport, and you should not worry about what appears to be an abnormally low connection time; if UA says your connection is valid, it is almost certainly doable within the allotted time (notwithstanding delays, of course, and standard advice regarding allowing longer connections for mission-critical travel or travel on separate tickets still stands).

Airport map, courtesy of United Airlines:
Map displays Star Alliance partners only; most non-Star Alliance airlines have domestic operations in Terminal A or international operations in Terminal D

Archive posts - Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I wouldn't do that with checked bags. Bag delivery at IAH can be slow.
Perhaps the problem has gotten worse recently or bags are slower on purely domestic arrivals or connections, but I've probably cleared Customs at IAH with a checked bag 15 times in the past two years and can only recall one time that I waited more than 10 minutes for my bag, and that was due to some sort of systemwide baggage problem they were having at IAH that day (conveyor system?).
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The biggest risk I see is the bag dropoff requirement for DL. You will have to be rechecking the bags at the DL counter and be completed before their cutoff for bag checking. Which varied between 45 mins to 1 hour depending on the airport. Did not see IAH in their online list (call and ask DL)
Good point, totally forgot about the checked bag cutoff times - might have to change the connecting flight now
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA
Can anyone confirm if there is a DL counter in the recheck area?

Last (and only) time I had to change from a UA international arrival to an AA domestic flight (one ticket), the handler with the scanner at the re-check belt outside of customs refused to accept my bag. I saw no AA counter down there, so I had to lug them to the landside underground train and over to Terminal A, and missed the cutoff for the AA flight. Maybe the handler was mistaken.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
That doesn’t sound right. Either your bag was checked through or it wasn’t.

In any event, I’ve been through there ~15 times in the past couple years, but always on United or Copa. I can’t recall if there’s an AA or DL desk there.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Have any fellow IAHers noticed an increase in use of Terminal A? The last 5 years I've been 1K-GS-GS-GS-1K and never stepped foot inside A. This year I've departed from or landed into A at least 10 times. Also, does anyone know when the remaining Terminal C north gates will open?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
Have any fellow IAHers noticed an increase in use of Terminal A? The last 5 years I've been 1K-GS-GS-GS-1K and never stepped foot inside A. This year I've departed from or landed into A at least 10 times. Also, does anyone know when the remaining Terminal C north gates will open?
I've had a few UA flights out of T-A over the years but none in the past couple of years. It was a real pain the first time for the app status to show departure out A, only to find out that they don't staff the counter there so had to go all the way back to B to check my bag. I can imagine how hard that would be for Granny and Granddad Infrequent flyers to have to go through that.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I can imagine how hard that would be for Granny and Granddad Infrequent flyers to have to go through that.
It wouldn't be hard at all. Infrequent flyers don't tend to realize that airlines might operate multiple check-in desks at the same airport. They'll follow the signs to "United," check in, and then take the train to their gate.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
(Hi. I've tried to search through past posts for an answer but the awful scrolling function made that fruitless. Or maybe there's nothing. Anyway...)

Can anyone please confirm with official links (1) whether a Japanese national (with ESTA of course) transferring intl to intl at IAH will have to collect/recheck bags and (2) whether there really is an expedited immigration lane for intl to intl connections that she can use?

I see posts saying that for international to international connections at IAH you don't need to pick up and recheck bags and that there's an expedited immigration line, including in the Wiki but the links to official (airport and CBP) sites are broken/old. It it were just me that would be good enough, but it's for a senior colleague so I'd like to see something more official than word of mouth. Searches of the IAH and CBP websites turned up nothing.

Details: I'm traveling NRT IAH MTY rt on an all-UA intinerary with a colleague. I have GE/am American and will only have a carryon. She's Japanese and wants to check a bag. (If I can manage to meet her before she checks in I can at least get the priority tag on her bag but...) The connection is pretty tight (1h40m). There are two later flights, which is why I booked that connection. But we're on separate reservations though so if she misses her connection, I'm not sure how easy it will be to change to the later flight to travel with her. (Tho I get free SDCs.)
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:47 pm

This isn’t really IAH specific, it’s more to do with UA/EVA policies but IAH is the connection airport, so I can’t think of a better place for it.

I’m flying STL-IAH-TPE in a couple weeks, in J on a United award ticket. My layover is something ridiculous like 17 hours, but I’ll be leaving the airport and spending the day in Houston. Will United hold onto my checked bag for that long before handing it off to EVA, or will I need to collect it in IAH and drop it off at the EVA check in counter when I return that evening for the flight?

I’m renting a car, so it’s not a big deal, I can throw it in the trunk, I just want to make sure my bag makes it to Taipei with me.

Also, what’s the lounge situation like? The TPE flight doesn’t leave until around 1 AM, is there one open that late?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by t325
This isn’t really IAH specific, it’s more to do with UA/EVA policies but IAH is the connection airport, so I can’t think of a better place for it.

I’m flying STL-IAH-TPE in a couple weeks, in J on a United award ticket. My layover is something ridiculous like 17 hours, but I’ll be leaving the airport and spending the day in Houston. Will United hold onto my checked bag for that long before handing it off to EVA, or will I need to collect it in IAH and drop it off at the EVA check in counter when I return that evening for the flight?
Policy is no (12 hour limit) but YMMV -- depends on what UA in STL does, the computer will resist.
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Originally Posted by t325
Also, what’s the lounge situation like? The TPE flight doesn’t leave until around 1 AM, is there one open that late?
Polaris lounge closes at 10PM, the UCs on E (E11/12 -- near PL) is open to 11:30, the rest of the UCs close earlier.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:00 pm

Question about arriving/departing domestic flight from IAH

Trying to book a return flight for a friend, kinda don't mind putting her in first class since it's a relatively long trip (LAS to Akron, OH) and the prices for some flights isn't took bad (~$450). Considering a checked bag fee, an extra $200 from main to first doesn't seem too crazy for me.

Question is, for the decently priced F flight, there is a 46 minute layover in IAH. I've done ~45 minute layovers a few times in SEA on Delta and don't mind too much, but I've never been to IAH so I'm not sure how easy this will be for her. Does anyone know if these flights are in the same terminal and thus maybe just a few minutes walk from gate to gate?

She'll be coming into IAH on UA2289 (Depart Vegas at 12:17pm and land at IAH at 5:19pm)
The second flight is UA 6106 (Departs IAH at 6:05 pm and land at CAK 9:46 pm)

Is there a decent chance of success on this flight? The times are good, not out of Vegas too early, home not to late. The price for F is pretty decent, and the total travel time isn't bad. BUT, if she has a 15 minute hike at IAH from gate to gate that doesn't leave much (any?) wiggle room from deplaning and boarding the next flight. She'll be flying solo and have one checked bag and one backpack carry on.

If this looks like I'm setting her up to fail, then the next best option is down in main or premium economy with a 2.5 hr layover (yuck).
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acarney
Question is, for the decently priced F flight, there is a 46 minute layover in IAH. I've done ~45 minute layovers a few times in SEA on Delta and don't mind too much, but I've never been to IAH so I'm not sure how easy this will be for her. Does anyone know if these flights are in the same terminal and thus maybe just a few minutes walk from gate to gate?
There's no way to know what terminals will be used for the flights until the day of travel (and, even then, it can change at the last minute). All terminals are connected airside at IAH, and there's a tram that runs between them. The longest possible distance to travel is 15-20 minutes.

Originally Posted by acarney
Is there a decent chance of success on this flight?

If everything is on time, she'll be fine.. but IAH-CAK is once-daily. If she misses it, she's either spending the night and adding a connection, or she's traveling to CLE or PIT.

If she's 25, fit, and can fend for herself well if things go sideways, it's do-able. (I've made shorter connections than that at IAH on many occasions). If she's 95, needs a wheelchair, and gets flustered when things don't go precisely according to plan, I'd find another option.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA MM
I’ve taken that IAH-CAK flight a few times. IIRC, it always departed from Terminal B. Inbound from LAS would be Terminal C or E. As mentioned above, quite doable if you can get around quickly.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:50 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Assuming no delays and the fact that she is in F 46 minutes should be fine.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by EmailKid
It can be, but Loop 8 generally moves pretty well,
Yeah, but it can take a decent time just to get off the airport onto BW8. And 290 is routinely horrible.

Edit: just realized I am replying to a 4-year-old post. Never mind.

Last edited by bart889; Sep 19, 2019 at 7:14 pm Reason: Reply to a very old thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.