Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by daKav
I haven't done miles+cash upgrade before. From what I gather reading this thread and other online blogs, the confirmation isn't instantaneous. Is that right? And how long of a wait should I be prepared for? fwiw, my travel date is 9.5 months away.

What are your options? Fly coach if this doesn't upgrade? Or return the ticket and buy business class ticket instead?

If you're choices are fly coach or hope for this upgrade, you might as well do it now.

Even if you wait 9 months and it doesn't upgrade, your chances are supposedly better the earlier you request the upgrade with miles and cash.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by wco81
What are your options? Fly coach if this doesn't upgrade? Or return the ticket and buy business class ticket instead?

If you're choices are fly coach or hope for this upgrade, you might as well do it now.
Yes, I am flying regardless. Clearing the upgrade would be nice add. I'll be try and upgrade over the weekend. Where can I check for PZ availability?

edit: I figured out searching for PZ space. Its available - " If you select this fare, you will automatically be confirmed for an upgrade."
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
How long before the first / only flights is one able to check in and drop baggage at SYD / MEL? Does UA have its own counter at these locations with its own staff, or does it use a contracted counter and staff?

I ask because when we returned from NRT a few years ago, we were on the first UA departure and the agents didn't arrive until 3 hours before.

When we return home, we would like to spend some time in the NZ lounge wherever we depart from (Right now we're looking to depart from MEL, but that could change as we finalize plans)., With the need to arrive at the Gate about 40-45 minutes before departure, that leaves only 2'15" to drop bags, security, border control, make a quick purchase at Duty Free, and walk to Gate 20, the farthest gate from the lobby and lounge area ()Gate 20 at MEL). That doesn't leave much lounge time if you can't drop bags more than 3 hours before.

I'm assuming that NRT uses UA staff with several departures over the evening and am hoping that with only 1 (MEL) or 2-3 (SYD) departures per day, that contractors will be performing the work at a counter that is open earlier than T-3.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by phkc070408
How long before the first / only flights is one able to check in and drop baggage at SYD / MEL? Does UA have its own counter at these locations with its own staff, or does it use a contracted counter and staff?

I ask because when we returned from NRT a few years ago, we were on the first UA departure and the agents didn't arrive until 3 hours before.
Roughly 3 hours before the FIRST flight out. (There are up to 3 flights/day within a few hours, so once they open for the first one they don't close).

They are mainly contracted staff, with a few UA staff members as well (including the famous Annie), but they are dedicated United counters, so you can't drop bags until they open.

The good news is that at that time of day immigration is generally quick, especially if you have an Express Pass (which you should, if you have lounge access). Although it is a long walk to the lounges it shouldn't take all that long - and then getting from there to a gate is only a few minutes max (depending on which gate they are using)
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:33 am

Well MEL only has the one flight. Since we're planning on returning from there, I'm actually more interested in that location.

There is always the possibility that the MEL-SFO flight will operate on our day of departure AND it will depart before our flight to LAX, but that's a big IF.

(I only mention SYD in the event that our plans do change, I don't have to ask this again. )
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Well MEL only has the one flight. Since we're planning on returning from there, I'm actually more interested in that location.
Same answer - 3 hours before the first flight. The fact that's also the only flight doesn't change anything in terms of when they open.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Same answer - 3 hours before the first flight. The fact that's also the only flight doesn't change anything in terms of when they open.
Gotcha. Thanks!!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Does LAX-SYD leave from T7 or TBIT?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
T7
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA does not use TBIT for departures
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:34 pm

LAX-SYD departs T7 as others have said. SYD-LAX (normally) lands into TBIT due to immigration in T7 not being opened at the time it lands.

If it's delayed, then it will sometimes come into T7 instead.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:53 am

We are booked LAX-SYD-PER, changing from UAL to QFA with 1 1/2 hours in SYD to do it. Reading this thread makes me wonder whether this will even be possible. Could United make a change to get us on a later PER connection (original ticket booked on United)? Would it be worth doing/trying?

Also, if we miss the connection, is it true that neither QFA nor United is obligated to get us on a later flight, and that we'd have to buy a new ticket anyway?

We are in "Polaris." Do they really do a full meal service leaving LAX at nearly midnight?

Last edited by mmthomps; Aug 21, 2019 at 7:55 am Reason: added new question
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mmthomps
We are booked LAX-SYD-PER, changing from UAL to QFA with 1 1/2 hours in SYD to do it. Reading this thread makes me wonder whether this will even be possible. Could United make a change to get us on a later PER connection (original ticket booked on United)? Would it be worth doing/trying?

Also, if we miss the connection, is it true that neither QFA nor United is obligated to get us on a later flight, and that we'd have to buy a new ticket anyway?

We are in "Polaris." Do they really do a full meal service leaving LAX at nearly midnight?
That's a very tight connection, but by no means impossible (especially in J). My last time doing I/D at SYD we were 47 minutes from the door opening to being in the VA domestic lounge.

Are you booked on a single ticket from LAX to PER? In that case you can absolutely get rebooked on the next SYD-PER (or an alternative routing) - you are not on the hook for anything other than any consequences from your delayed arrival in PER. Your connection meets the minimum connection time for SYD (exactly), so it is unlikely they you will be rebooked. If the alternative is a later SYD-PER anyway, I would just give this a shot.

Code:
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE    .30  1.00  1.15  1.00
OFFLINE   .30  1.00  1.15  1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
UA-QF ID  1.30 FLT  101 - ALL  TRM ** - 3  
UA-QF ID  1.15 TRM 1  - 1  
**-QF ID  2.15 ALL  - FLT  200 -  299 TRM 1  - 1  
**-QF ID  2.15 ALL  - FLT 5000 - 5999 TRM 1  - 2  
**-QF ID  1.00 TRM 1  - 1  
**-QF ID  1.45 TRM 1  - 2  
**-QF ID  1.30 TRM 1  - 3
Yes, LAX-SYD serves dinner after departure from LAX. It's an "almost" 5pm to 7pm service (depending on month) in AET so it's actually quite pleasant. I love the westbound night flights to Australia; I always arrive feeling refreshed and ready for the day that just started.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:43 am

Yes, it's a single ticket.

So, just leave it as is and see what transpires in SYD, then?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mmthomps
Yes, it's a single ticket.

So, just leave it as is and see what transpires in SYD, then?
That would be my advice. It would be an uphill battle to change the ticket in advance because it is a legal connection, and it sounds like your worst case here is getting rebooked onto the thing you would proactively request anyway. Australia is still very averse to discounting their domestic business class, so the odds of J seats day-of are pretty high.

The criticism of the I/D transfer experience at SYD is, I think, a little overblown. You will drop your bags at the QF transfer desk immediately after clearing immigration, and then hop on their shuttle bus to the domestic terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.