Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aspen
I have for over twenty years preferred SFO over LAX because of the later departure ex SYD and the past 10 or 15 because of the Arrivals Lounge in SFO - however this year I have flown on 840 to LAX three times, once physically driving the rental car out of Hertz at 6.32am (32 minutes after being allowed to disembark from the aeroplane at LAX after landing at around 5.45 and docking at the furthest gate (what's up with that furthest gate at TBIT nonsense when we were one of the first land ? 3 times now furthest gate, it must be cheaper for UAL ! ) and twice being in the ANZ Star Alliance Lounge in under 60 minutes from landing - so I do not understand the level of hate aimed at TBIT. Even if one were to clear USCIS beneath Terminal 7 one still must re-clear security. (Both my visits to the ANZ Star Alliance Lounge were after I had cleared PreCheck in T4)
Funnily enough, my annual work trip Down Under will bring me back on the MEL-LAX flight. I have nothing against TBIT, but in the past the *A lounge was closed in the morning, when its shower facilities would have been a welcome addition to my layover. Has that changed? I'll have a flight to YVR departing mid morning, around 10:40 am.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by transportprof
Funnily enough, my annual work trip Down Under will bring me back on the MEL-LAX flight. I have nothing against TBIT, but in the past the *A lounge was closed in the morning, when its shower facilities would have been a welcome addition to my layover. Has that changed? I'll have a flight to YVR departing mid morning, around 10:40 am.
*A lounge was open when we arrived on MEL-LAX in March. Website lists 0600-2400 as operating hours, although with a seasonality caveat.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
i Would vote for the LAX flight on the outbound. The earlier IAH flight is actually a disadvantage when travelling to Aus. You want to try to stay up as late as possible to get on the right time zone. Also traveling through LAX means only one connection.

On the way back I agree SFO is the winner because of the arrivals lounge. Usually I go through SFO for this same reason, however recently transited through LAX and it was infinitely better than it used to be in the bad old days. IAH can be a bit crazy early in the mornings with lots of flights arriving from South America. If you have global entry it’s not a problem though.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, Skywards, Qantas
Agree LAX out SFO back. I go via IAD and have done this for twenty years. Book an EARLIER flight to LA- the later ones can be late or get cancelled- that has happened to me a few times. UAL isn't going to care whether you're in J or F and your original seat assignment is gone.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Thanks everyone for the feedback! One more question - if I were to book DCA-IAH-SYD-MEL connecting to QF, what is suggested connection time at SYD? ua.com is booking a 2 hour connection but not sure that's safe. Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Thanks everyone for the feedback! One more question - if I were to book DCA-IAH-SYD-MEL connecting to QF, what is suggested connection time at SYD? ua.com is booking a 2 hour connection but not sure that's safe. Thanks!
Two hours is tight. QF offers flights every 30 min/60 min SYD-MEL most of the day, I would choose maybe 3 hours. Reason, you need change terminals, which is on the other side of the airport in SYD. Options are QF bus which is free, other options such as rail/ terminal shuttle bus cost money, but all options it takes some time to do depending wait times for bus/rail which could be few min or as long as 20 min in my experiences). SYD is not a good airport to transfer at. (not sure if you can choose LAX-MEL direct? in UA or QF??)
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Taipei
Two hours is tight. QF offers flights every 30 min/60 min SYD-MEL most of the day, I would choose maybe 3 hours. Reason, you need change terminals, which is on the other side of the airport in SYD. Options are QF bus which is free, other options such as rail/ terminal shuttle bus cost money, but all options it takes some time to do depending wait times for bus/rail which could be few min or as long as 20 min in my experiences). SYD is not a good airport to transfer at. (not sure if you can choose LAX-MEL direct? in UA or QF??)
Thanks Taipei! LAX-MEL is an option on UA, Inlikenthe earlier departure time of IAH-SYD and option to depart from DCA instead of IAD.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, VA Plat, EY Gold
I'd go for the LAX-MEL nonstop over the SYD connection. SYD transfer is annoying on the best of days and right now with some sort of roadworks going on the bus transfer to the domestic terminal is downright painful in the mornings, though the transfer to QF domestic may be running airside so perhaps it is a bit better.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
..One more question - if I were to book DCA-IAH-SYD-MEL connecting to QF, what is suggested connection time at SYD? ua.com is booking a 2 hour connection but not sure that's safe.
2 hrs is OK, but could be tight, if all on 1 ticket. SYD-MEL QF flights are frequent. if you are late the domestic QF desk in the international T1 terminal will put you on a later flight.

If separate tickets 3 hours minimum. If you are late expect to buy a new ticket

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Another difference between SYD and MEL is their navigational capabilities. MEL can offer Cat. III landings in low visibility ILS conditions, and SYD cannot. There are seasonal reliability differences between the two aerodromes, as a result.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
2 hrs is OK, but could be tight, if all on 1 ticket. SYD-MEL QF flights are frequent. if you are late the domestic QF desk in the international T1 terminal will put you on a later flight.
+1 for "meh" on 2h being too tight. It is indeed a pretty short connection with the terminal transfer, but SYD-MEL is flown by QF up to a truly staggering 41x daily so a misconnect is really no big deal.

But LAX-MEL is still probably the easier choice.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, Skywards, Qantas
Definitely fly direct....nothing like looking down at Canberra and thinking jeez another hour left to go v.praying for a shower and waiting for a flight.....
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Maybe I'm missing something, but one way or another you are going to make two stops out of DCA, and potentially one out of IAD if IAD-LAX-MEL is chosen. Since departing DCA seems to be the priority, I think it would be easier to make the stops here, rather than SYD. I appreciate the desire of the earlier departure out of IAH vs. LAX, but your goal should be to adjust to MEL timezone on the way, which means forcing yourself to stay up on the plane for a while anyway. After three trips to Australia, I learned after the first one; I stay awake, enjoy the meal, then watch a movie or two then I finally let myself fall asleep. I wake up naturally about 1.5 hours prior to landing, have the breakfast, and frankly I feel adjusted to local time. Still a hard first day, but thankfully the coffee in all of MEL is fantastic, even Mc'Donalds believe it or not.

So if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at DCA-ORD/DEN-LAX-MEL, IAD departure would be ignored. On the return from SYD, you have the opportunity to experiment a little.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I've done the US-Australia trip 20 some times, doing another one next week ex YVR to MEL. I'm taking the new direct AC flight each way instead of transferring as travel time not only eats away at your energy, it adds to connection risk and can ruin a trip/meetings etc. I used to do the trip from the east coast US, so my advice is this:
-outbound, connect in LAX-MEL direct and give yourself about 3-4 hours in the lounge and find one with shower to freshen up before the long flight
-inbound, connect in SYD-IAH (now that that is an option). Make your shortest legs domestic US as the jet lag will hit you when you get back and it is miserable. The worst thing is sitting in a domestic transcon seat for 5 hours plus connection time with jet lag off a 14-15 hr flight. If you can shorten that to 2-3 hrs that would be better.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Maybe I'm missing something, but one way or another you are going to make two stops out of DCA, and potentially one out of IAD if IAD-LAX-MEL is chosen. Since departing DCA seems to be the priority, I think it would be easier to make the stops here, rather than SYD. I appreciate the desire of the earlier departure out of IAH vs. LAX, but your goal should be to adjust to MEL timezone on the way, which means forcing yourself to stay up on the plane for a while anyway. After three trips to Australia, I learned after the first one; I stay awake, enjoy the meal, then watch a movie or two then I finally let myself fall asleep. I wake up naturally about 1.5 hours prior to landing, have the breakfast, and frankly I feel adjusted to local time. Still a hard first day, but thankfully the coffee in all of MEL is fantastic, even Mc'Donalds believe it or not.

So if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at DCA-ORD/DEN-LAX-MEL, IAD departure would be ignored. On the return from SYD, you have the opportunity to experiment a little.
Thanks so much for the input. Seems like the overwhelming advice is to skip the SYD connection. I would say departing from DCA is a "nice to have" but not a huge priority. Arriving at DCA would be really nice since the IAD arrival at rush means a long ride home. Appreciate the advice on adjusting to MEL time!

Originally Posted by prestonh
I've done the US-Australia trip 20 some times, doing another one next week ex YVR to MEL. I'm taking the new direct AC flight each way instead of transferring as travel time not only eats away at your energy, it adds to connection risk and can ruin a trip/meetings etc. I used to do the trip from the east coast US, so my advice is this:
-outbound, connect in LAX-MEL direct and give yourself about 3-4 hours in the lounge and find one with shower to freshen up before the long flight
-inbound, connect in SYD-IAH (now that that is an option). Make your shortest legs domestic US as the jet lag will hit you when you get back and it is miserable. The worst thing is sitting in a domestic transcon seat for 5 hours plus connection time with jet lag off a 14-15 hr flight. If you can shorten that to 2-3 hrs that would be better.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks so much, this seems to be the right move. Right now the IAD-LAX options depart at 5:05 PM with a 3h06m layover and 3:05 PM with a 5h06m layover but looks like the March schedules aren't firmed up yet.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 2017 at 3:16 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.