Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:27 am

NoLa,

Thanks for the posting. I was surprised to hear its a dreamliner, but not a full polaris setup... that is disappointing.

Does anyone know if the "Plan B" option would be a better strategy here? I have never used it before as I rarely fly United, but figured it may be worth the attempt.

Cheers,
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by lukeswenson
NoLa,

Thanks for the posting. I was surprised to hear its a dreamliner, but not a full polaris setup... that is disappointing.

Does anyone know if the "Plan B" option would be a better strategy here? I have never used it before as I rarely fly United, but figured it may be worth the attempt.

Cheers,
Nothing wrong with the ride LAX-MEL, even though it's not the new Polaris seat. Can I assume you are commuting on your own dime for work? Kind of rare to commute that far for work.

Set yourself up for expert mode on United, and look for upgrade space if you want confirmed seats at booking. Two round trips that I've done, without issues finding space for a family of four on one trip, and just myself on a second trip.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
NoLa,

Cheers,
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Nothing wrong with the ride LAX-MEL, even though it's not the new Polaris seat. Can I assume you are commuting on your own dime for work? Kind of rare to commute that far for work.

Set yourself up for expert mode on United, and look for upgrade space if you want confirmed seats at booking. Two round trips that I've done, without issues finding space for a family of four on one trip, and just myself on a second trip.
When you say Plan B, are you talking about your outbound and the miles/money question? I'm not sure what Plan A is, but the m&m could be tough. On 11/23 UA 98 is booked to 32 out of 48.

And as far as upgrade space goes, that flight is at P8 PN0, so even a GS using a GPU would be waitlisted at the moment.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:57 am

I was referencing the "Plan B" mode that is talked about on Flyertalk. Booking a saver business seat when only economy is showing. (and getting priority waitlisted)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Have you looked at either mileage or upgrade awards via ICN? I'll bet there is plenty of space on those flights (UA or OZ to Korea, and OZ on to MEL) given the jitters on the peninsula these days.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Welcome to United! Polaris rollout might finish in 2020.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Welcome to United! Polaris rollout might finish in 2020.
And the 787s will likely be last to get refitted, so as to get more out of their "new" seats.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:15 pm

I'm just trying to look for some space between Aussie and USA using mileage plus upgrade from economy for the beginning of October 2018 and am finding no availability. Has all of the upgrade space been snapped up that quickly or do they not release it that far in advance?

Thx...

-j
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jofegan
I'm just trying to look for some space between Aussie and USA using mileage plus upgrade from economy for the beginning of October 2018 and am finding no availability. Has all of the upgrade space been snapped up that quickly or do they not release it that far in advance?
It depends. You can sometimes find R>0 in advance. Most of the time, R=0.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jofegan

Thx...

-j
UA typically will not release upgrade or business saver award space 11 months in advance. If they are going to release any -- and there's never a guarantee -- they will usually wait to see how loads on that particular day start to shape up. You can waitlist, but since it sounds like you have some flexibility, my advice would be to wait and to check regularly.

Also, remember to limit your search to the gateway cities -- MEL-LAX or SYD-LAX/SFO/IAH -- even if you're planning to connect. Upgrades are cleared on a segment-by-segment basis, so if the long flight is available, you'd clear on that even if you're actually booking a connection.

Good luck.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
I fly the LAX-MEL route 6-7 times per year and usually have good success waiting 2-3 weeks before I want to travel and then call the desk, give them a 4 day window to travel and I have got an instant upgrade every time using a GPU , usually it is a tuesday if that makes your search easier
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
In January 2017 I booked LAX-SYD and MEL-LAX for Novombee 2017. Couldn’t find R on weekend travel days, but was fairly open for midweek travel, with MEL generally having more R availability (some days even being R>4). Not sure if that’s was normal or a system malfunction - but it stayed that way for a few days while we firmed up plans.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
I find R>0 for the Australia routes quite often at release 330 days out. But you have to be quick as it is usually R=2 or R=3, then nothing until the flight gets closer. It’s definitely a game though. Have to check every date and every flight. I’ve been successful though about 8 times in the last 2 years
mikeyf likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jmanirish
In January 2017 I booked LAX-SYD and MEL-LAX for Novombee 2017. Couldn’t find R on weekend travel days, but was fairly open for midweek travel, with MEL generally having more R availability (some days even being R>4). Not sure if that’s was normal or a system malfunction - but it stayed that way for a few days while we firmed up plans.
LAX/MEL midweek has generally been a pretty good upgrade for a while now.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:28 pm

Meal schedule for LAX-SYD Polaris

Flying tonight and trying to plan food for my kids. Anyone know when meals are served during this flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.