Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:06 pm

FRA transit time

I'm planning an IST -> US trip with a stop in Frankfurt on the return. Anyone have any opinions on whether 85 minutes is sufficient to transfer from LH IST -> FRA to UA FRA -> USA ?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
85 minutes seems like enough time to me. I did that two years ago, where I was scheduled to arrive in FRA at 4 pm and depart FRA at 5:25 pm. The only challenge was that my IST-FRA flight was 50 minutes late, and we were parked out on the tarmac, then it took a mad rush to get to my new gate...and I made it just fine. I was one of the last people on the flight, but easily had a few minutes to spare.

The issue would be, what's the downside for you in case the IST-FRA flight is, say, 90 minutes delayed? It's unlikely, but sometimes happens.

Unless I absolutely, positively, had to be in the office the next day, I'd still be willing to risk the connection.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton D
BRE-FRA-IAD in 50 minutes

I am contemplating the following itinerary on a weekday:
LH 39 dep BRE 10:30 arr FRA 11:30
connecting to
UA 917 dep FRA 12:20 arr IAD 15:02.

That's 50 minutes to make the connection in FRA. I've seen some discouraging posts about such a tight turnaround.

I am curious whether LH flights from BRE arrive at a gate or on the tarmac.

I'm GS on UA, so a part of me is tempted to see if GS would arrange special services to ensure I made my UA connection.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sumnbt01
connecting to

That's 50 minutes to make the connection in FRA. I've seen some discouraging posts about such a tight turnaround.

I am curious whether LH flights from BRE arrive at a gate or on the tarmac.

I'm GS on UA, so a part of me is tempted to see if GS would arrange special services to ensure I made my UA connection.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks.
It's a crapshoot as to whether you arrive at a gate or tarmac, but I would assume that you will not arrive at a gate, but will be bussed to the central part of the B gates. You can check this 24 hrs in advance using the flight info link on lufthansa.com.
Old May 6, 2011, 2:03 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sumnbt01
connecting to

That's 50 minutes to make the connection in FRA.
I'm not even sure if this is a legal connection as far as LH is concerned. I cannot see this particular connection sold on lufthansa.com.
Old May 6, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Transferring through FRA, UA to LH, what to expect?

Hi all,

On Monday I'm flying to BCN via FRA (SNA-ORD-FRA-BCN). I've never had to make a connection internationally (I've only ever flown to places like LHR where I could go direct), so I'm unsure exactly what to expect. The SNA-ORD and ORD-FRA legs are on UA, then the FRA-BCN leg is on LH. I know that there are a lot of FTers out there that regularly go through FRA, so would anyone be willing to share their experiences, tips, etc.?

For example, will I need to go through immigration in FRA (I'm guessing yes)? If so, will I have to re-check in in the normal LH line? Will I need to go through security again? If so, is there a premier line (I'm 1P and therefore *G)? I've heard the distances between terminals are crazy there... how long will I need to get from the UA gate to the LH gates?

Also, I've got about 3.5 hours between flights, and I'm an RCC member, *G, as well as Priority Pass through my Amex Platinum. What are the best and/or most convenient lounges in FRA? (Note that I'm in Y the whole way, so no first/business lounge access for me).

Anything else I should know about?

Thanks!
Old May 6, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by eeebee
Hi all,

On Monday I'm flying to BCN via FRA (SNA-ORD-FRA-BCN). I've never had to make a connection internationally (I've only ever flown to places like LHR where I could go direct), so I'm unsure exactly what to expect. The SNA-ORD and ORD-FRA legs are on UA, then the FRA-BCN leg is on LH. I know that there are a lot of FTers out there that regularly go through FRA, so would anyone be willing to share their experiences, tips, etc.?

For example, will I need to go through immigration in FRA (I'm guessing yes)? If so, will I have to re-check in in the normal LH line? Will I need to go through security again? If so, is there a premier line (I'm 1P and therefore *G)? I've heard the distances between terminals are crazy there... how long will I need to get from the UA gate to the LH gates?

Also, I've got about 3.5 hours between flights, and I'm an RCC member, *G, as well as Priority Pass through my Amex Platinum. What are the best and/or most convenient lounges in FRA? (Note that I'm in Y the whole way, so no first/business lounge access for me).

Anything else I should know about?

Thanks!
Yes, you will need to go through immigration at FRA. You'll need to use one of the lanes not designated for EU nationals only. The immigration lines are normally pretty short, but obviously depends on the arrival time. You'll probably arrive at a gate in the A pier. Or if your flight end up at a remote stand, then you'll be bussed to the B pier ground entrance. Just follow the signs or the crowd

You will also need to go through security. FRA has lines for First/Business/*G in the security area, but they aren't always open, if it's not busy.

If you are a *G, you will have access to the Senator Lounge, even if you are flying in Y. Just make sure that you bring your UA 1P card to prove that you are *G. There are several SEN lounges in FRA. Just look for the LH lounge signs overhead as you head to the gate for the BCN flight.
Old May 6, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
Yes, you will need to go through immigration at FRA. You'll need to use one of the lanes not designated for EU nationals only. The immigration lines are normally pretty short, but obviously depends on the arrival time. You'll probably arrive at a gate in the A pier. Or if your flight end up at a remote stand, then you'll be bussed to the B pier ground entrance. Just follow the signs or the crowd

You will also need to go through security. FRA has lines for First/Business/*G in the security area, but they aren't always open, if it's not busy.

If you are a *G, you will have access to the Senator Lounge, even if you are flying in Y. Just make sure that you bring your UA 1P card to prove that you are *G. There are several SEN lounges in FRA. Just look for the LH lounge signs overhead as you head to the gate for the BCN flight.
Thank you for the reply! That's what I figured in regard to immigration, but I wasn't sure. And I've already made sure that I have my 1P card in my wallet... I've read plenty of posts about the LH lounges requiring it and not just a boarding pass. Thanks again.
Old May 6, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It wasn't the greatest lounge in the world anyway. Main problem with the LH lounges is that they are often really crowded.
So crowded in fact that I'm not even going to bother trying to drop into one on my upcoming SFO-FRA-LYS trip. My son and I checked out two different LH lounges at FRA last July, and they were nothing to write home about; really stuffed to the gills. Oh, and hot. It was 80+ degrees in there. Could have been an anomoly, but in general, most of the airport we walked through was pretty hot and unwelcoming.
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
See NewbieRunner's AWESOME Frankfurt lounge post below, #132 in this thread! I originally posted lounge info from the FRA airport website, which had some issues. NewbieRunner provided the link to LH's lounge section where you enter the relevant info and it tells you where to go. In a nice way.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; May 7, 2011 at 11:17 am Reason: Updated for NewbieRunner's much better lounge info
Old May 6, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So crowded in fact that I'm not even going to bother trying to drop into one on my upcoming SFO-FRA-LYS trip. My son and I checked out two different LH lounges at FRA last July, and they were nothing to write home about; really stuffed to the gills. Oh, and hot. It was 80+ degrees in there. Could have been an anomoly, but in general, most of the airport we walked through was pretty hot and unwelcoming.

My experience with European airports have been that they are generally kept at much warmer temperature than US airports.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Any recent experiences transferring from ORD-FRA UA 940 to FRA-IST on TK (same ticket)?

Does TK use B gates?
Old May 7, 2011, 2:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
For FRA, I would highly recommend studying the airport's layout and lounge locations ahead of time. It was very difficult for me to find them last July. Here's a list from the airport's website, something that would have been handy for me last year!
It looks like the list of LH lounges you found on the airport's website is somewhat out of date. Senator and Business lounges by gate A51 have been gone for a few years and replaced by the Tower Lounge near gate A65.

A more accurate information may be found on Lufthansa's website. Enter your status/class of travel and the airport on this page and you will get a complete list.

You also need to bear in mind that some lounges are in Schengen and others are in non-Schengen and visiting them might involve going through passport control (and security).

In summary:

First Class Lounges/Terminal: FCT (landside outside main terminal), FCL A (Schengen above A26), FCL B (non-Schengen above B22)
Senator Lounges: by A26 (Schengen), central area B (non-Schengen), by C14/15 (non-Schengen)
Business Lounges: by A26 (Schengen), above B24-28 (non-Schengen), above B44-48 (non-Schengen), by C14/15 (non-Schengen), by C16 (non-Schengen), Tower Lounge (by A65 non-Schengen)
Arrivals Lounge: Welcome Lounge (landside near baggage claim B)

Originally Posted by ordogg
Does TK use B gates?
You can check departure gates of TK flights to IST on the flight status page of lufthansa.com.

Yes, TK seems to use B gates but sometimes a bus gate on the lower level. For the last couple of days UA940 arrived at a B bus gate.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 7, 2011 at 7:14 am Reason: merge
Old May 7, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It looks like the list of LH lounges you found on the airport's website is somewhat out of date. Senator and Business lounges by gate A51 have been gone for a few years and replaced by the Tower Lounge near gate A65.

A more accurate information may be found on Lufthansa's website. Enter your status/class of travel and the airport on this page and you will get a complete list.

You also need to bear in mind that some lounges are in Schengen and others are in non-Schengen and visiting them might involve going through passport control (and security).

In summary:

First Class Lounges/Terminal: FCT (landside outside main terminal), FCL A (Schengen above A26), FCL B (non-Schengen above B22)
Senator Lounges: by A26 (Schengen), central area B (non-Schengen), by C14/15 (non-Schengen)
Business Lounges: by A26 (Schengen), above B24-28 (non-Schengen), above B44-48 (non-Schengen), by C14/15 (non-Schengen), by C16 (non-Schengen), Tower Lounge (by A65 non-Schengen)
Arrivals Lounge: Welcome Lounge (landside near baggage claim B)

You can check departure gates of TK flights to IST on the flight status page of lufthansa.com.

Yes, TK seems to use B gates but sometimes a bus gate on the lower level. For the last couple of days UA940 arrived at a B bus gate.
Thanks for an awesome update on the lounge situation! ^

I'm going to kill the info in my post and refer to this. Only thing better would be free wifi in every airport and a *A app that says "you are here, follow these directions to the nearest lounge."
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, MM, McDonalds Million Burgers
Help on immigration/customs Frankfurt/Marseilles

Hi all

My daughter is going from SFO to Marseilles by way of Frankfurt and would
like to give her more advice on her first trip alone.

Am I missing anything from the following

1. she checks her luggage straight through to Marseilles
(SFO-BOS on UA, then LH to Frankfurt and Marseilles)
2. she deplanes in Frankfurt, follows the crowd to Immigration
and gets into the non-EU lines/counters and clears
3. Proceeds to the gate for the Marseilles leg
4. deplanes at marseilles, picks up luggage and clears
Customs there.

Is this about right? (I did this years ago and my memory is totally gone!)

and anyone know if a French Orange mobicarte works in frankfurt
and plan B any free wifi nearby (to alleviate MAJOR DADDY Fear)

Thanks for any and all help in this matter

Bob
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBob
Hi all

My daughter is going from SFO to Marseilles by way of Frankfurt and would
like to give her more advice on her first trip alone.

Am I missing anything from the following

1. she checks her luggage straight through to Marseilles
(SFO-BOS on UA, then LH to Frankfurt and Marseilles)
2. she deplanes in Frankfurt, follows the crowd to Immigration
and gets into the non-EU lines/counters and clears
3. Proceeds to the gate for the Marseilles leg
4. deplanes at marseilles, picks up luggage and clears
Customs there.

Is this about right? (I did this years ago and my memory is totally gone!)

and anyone know if a French Orange mobicarte works in frankfurt
and plan B any free wifi nearby (to alleviate MAJOR DADDY Fear)

Thanks for any and all help in this matter

Bob
We did IAD-MUC--MRS this past April, and your list above is essentially correct for FRA as well. We had no problems at any stage of the trip. Immigration is really just passport control - most of the time, the lines are open to both EU and non EU, and customs is almost non-existent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.