Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA and CO Fleet Tracking Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
From what I understand, N194UA will be reconfigured and re-introduced into the fleet and another 747 - which was due for heavy check - will be parked. My understanding is that it's more cost effective to do this than to perform the heavy checks.... but that could be incorrect info.
Offhand, I'd say that would only make sense if N194UA can be returned to service without the D check or other heavy maintenance. The reconfiguration is a sunk cost on the plane to be parked, while it's now a presumably more expensive cash cost (given inflation) for N194UA. If both planes require, say, D checks, where's the benefit in the swap?

Then again, the initial 744 reconfigs were done a long time ago, so it probably figures that some frame in that part of the tribe is fetching up against a heavy overhaul, while maybe park-ee 194 still has time on her clock..........
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Are they going to paint the plane while in PUS? That's where UA sends the 747s to get painted. Does anybody know the plane that's getting parked? Since one is getting parked with the new configuration and new paint job my guess is that it will be back later on when they have a dire need to get a D check done on it.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Bitterroot
Offhand, I'd say that would only make sense if N194UA can be returned to service without the D check or other heavy maintenance. The reconfiguration is a sunk cost on the plane to be parked, while it's now a presumably more expensive cash cost (given inflation) for N194UA. If both planes require, say, D checks, where's the benefit in the swap?

Then again, the initial 744 reconfigs were done a long time ago, so it probably figures that some frame in that part of the tribe is fetching up against a heavy overhaul, while maybe park-ee 194 still has time on her clock..........
Agree - seems odd to me as well, but that's based on the info I have.

Originally Posted by UAL awesome
Are they going to paint the plane while in PUS? That's where UA sends the 747s to get painted. Does anybody know the plane that's getting parked? Since one is getting parked with the new configuration and new paint job my guess is that it will be back later on when they have a dire need to get a D check done on it.
Hehe... UAL awesome, I love ya man, but you're always Mr. Question on this thread. If I know something, I'll post it

Inclined to agree with you about bringing it back on-board when needed.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
From what I understand, N194UA will be reconfigured and re-introduced into the fleet and another 747 - which was due for heavy check - will be parked. My understanding is that it's more cost effective to do this than to perform the heavy checks.... but that could be incorrect info.
Wow thats pretty amazing that a brand new C+F cabin and trip to Pusan is cheaper than a heavy maintenence check. Its also crazy to think UA will have a 744 with the new interior parked in the desert.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold

N194UA:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...810Z/KVCV/RKPK
Or could it be they need another plane to accomidate HND, CAN or FCO?

Seems like they would have run the math originally on the one of the planes that would require the heavy check?

Or... ****and this is just a guess**** maybe one of the 9 744's that are "leased" is not going to be renewed?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Agree - seems odd to me as well, but that's based on the info I have.

Hehe... UAL awesome, I love ya man, but you're always Mr. Question on this thread. If I know something, I'll post it

Inclined to agree with you about bringing it back on-board when needed.
^ Thanks, man. I really appreciate these types of threads and the work you do in them.

BTW, I think 507UA is in new c/s now.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Or could it be they need another plane to accomidate HND, CAN or FCO?

Seems like they would have run the math originally on the one of the planes that would require the heavy check?

Or... ****and this is just a guess**** maybe one of the 9 744's that are "leased" is not going to be renewed?
Perhaps, but that's pretty short-sighted of them to reconfigure it and then return it a year later. I was hoping they'd pull out the 747s since the 777s are going to be down being reconfigured and the busy summer season is going to start soon.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by AFJon
Agree, but it looks like many of those birds are in "short term parking" since the windows aren't covered up to preserve them.
So does that mean there is a slight possibility that UA could pull them and put them back in to service ? Or are they really all gone 4life? (or at least sell, probably the most likely scenario)
Old May 3, 2010, 1:00 am
Suspended

Looks like we're going to have a lot more planes to track.
Old May 3, 2010, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I suspect that the painting process (changing from the Gray Battleship livery to the new White & Blue UA livery) will be put on hold pending the merger?

Since the entire UA fleet will need to be repainted AGAIN.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAL awesome
Looks like we're going to have a lot more planes to track.
Which I don't plan to do until they are merged under one FAA operating license.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by UAL4life
So does that mean there is a slight possibility that UA could pull them and put them back in to service ? Or are they really all gone 4life? (or at least sell, probably the most likely scenario)
The 737's are likely going on to new owners (I saw one in San Antonio last year getting prepped).
Old May 13, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8800 AT&T Wireless: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/870; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Does anyone happen to know what the tail number is for the aircraft that operated UA959 (LHR-ORD) on 13 May?

Apparently it was the same aircraft that operated UA938 (ORD-LHR) on 12 May.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 14, 2010, 1:00 am

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by warreng24
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8800 AT&T Wireless: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/870; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Does anyone happen to know what the tail number is for the aircraft that operated UA959 (LHR-ORD) on 13 May?

Apparently it was the same aircraft that operated UA938 (ORD-LHR) on 12 May.

Thanks in advance.
According to ACARSD, has been N655UA for a few days in a row.
Old May 18, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Saw A320 N451UA at ORD just now. New paint, except for an old-paint nose! Looks rather clownish with the orange stripe. A photo of it would be good for the "ugliest UA photos" thread.
Old May 18, 2010, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

I've made some updates to the United Fleet page on the FlyerGuide Wiki:
http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...Fleet_%28UA%29

Specifically, I'm updating the planes I've found which have leather in F as it seems the 757 prototype (N593UA) does not seem to be rolling out wider.

I encourage others who have recently ridden on narrowbody planes which have leather in F to make the appropriate updates as well - just be cognizant of the paint status (old/new) when making updates so you don't also show a plane has been repainted when it hasn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.