Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2023, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The poster is not a UA regular and they were likely not aware of this. Their post was moved to this thread (as noted).

The poster is AA flyer and the AA lifetime system operates very differently -- in the AA system, the query make 100% sense, just does not in the UA system.

I think we all, with 1,2,3,4, even 5 million miles have a hard time wrapping our minds around Tom's accomplishment.
good to know, so while the first part of my statement is retracted, why the "truth lies in between" comment? Tom is too nice to make a big deal about it, but to me, that sounds like the poster doesn't believe Tom came by his record the way he claims.
Old May 9, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Just curious about the world’s most frequent flyer. He referred to 15 million as ‘only’ so that’s tells me it’s closer to 23 million miles. Sorry if I offended anyone.
No offense taken. It will all be detailed in the book ( if I ever finish the damn thing!) The t will be detailed that I have flown over 23 million miles. Unfortunately, it doesn’t count all the flights I’ve flown for free. It doesn’t count my united flights between 1970 and 1983 when I joined mirage plus. And it doesn’t count the miles I have flown on some 60 other airlines. But when the record is formally authenticated by Guiness, it will exceed the current total ( updated from his original record ) by at least 5-6 million for sure.
Rare, GUWonder, SPN Lifer and 9 others like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Haha Tom, you made an (unintentional Im sure) Freudian Slip in your post above:
”Mirage Plus” 🤣🤣🤣
Too bad there’s some truth to that!
hhdl likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Haha Tom, you made an (unintentional Im sure) Freudian Slip in your post above:
”Mirage Plus” 🤣🤣🤣
Too bad there’s some truth to that!
lol. I DID mean Mileage Plus. When I text it seems to have a mind of its own! Maybe it’s an American phone? Either way , need to proof read my quotes before posting .
AeRoSpaceman, tcdtcd and D3Kingg like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 4:31 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Fr those of you who have not seen the picture:

wowA! Who was running UA then?
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 4:39 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by manstein58
wowA! Who was running UA then?
Smisek. He threw a great reception for Tom when he completed his 10MM flight. (I was on it from LAX to ORD as was other FTers.) It was in the UC in C. He had good food and drink brought in. Probably the only thing he did right at UA.
Old May 10, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Smisek. He threw a great reception for Tom when he completed his 10MM flight. (I was on it from LAX to ORD as was other FTers.) It was in the UC in C. He had good food and drink brought in. Probably the only thing he did right at UA.
Honestly -- I miss Oscar, I miss Jeff very much less -- but I'm liking him more now lol!
AeRoSpaceman and manstein58 like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Honestly -- I miss Oscar, I miss Jeff very much less -- but I'm liking him more now lol!
I really miss Larry Kellner and Gordon Bethune the most, I had moved to DELTA, by the time that Smisek became CEO, but I never had good vibes from him when he was with Continental.
Old May 10, 2023, 7:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
No offense taken. It will all be detailed in the book ( if I ever finish the damn thing!) The t will be detailed that I have flown over 23 million miles. Unfortunately, it doesn’t count all the flights I’ve flown for free. It doesn’t count my united flights between 1970 and 1983 when I joined mirage plus. And it doesn’t count the miles I have flown on some 60 other airlines. But when the record is formally authenticated by Guiness, it will exceed the current total ( updated from his original record ) by at least 5-6 million for sure.
Looking forward to seeing the book eventually.

Did Guinness happen to inform you about what they think the record of flown miles by flight/cabin crew member may be?

Originally Posted by halls120
good to know, so while the first part of my statement is retracted, why the "truth lies in between" comment? Tom is too nice to make a big deal about it, but to me, that sounds like the poster doesn't believe Tom came by his record the way he claims.
Those who have AA as their anchor of familiarity with million mileage tracking tend to think that flyers talking about being million milers are counting a lot of non-flight activity miles in the total of lifetime miles flown. Thus they tend to think the true amount of miles flown is below the claimed level of miles flown even when it isn’t.
Old May 10, 2023, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by kmersh
I really miss Larry Kellner and Gordon Bethune the most, I had moved to DELTA, by the time that Smisek became CEO, but I never had good vibes from him when he was with Continental.
Looking back critically (at myself) -- I can honestly say that I didn't really have any issues with Jeff at CO -- we enjoyed our flights on CO to Japan monthly -- and then he became leader of the combined entity -- and something changed - at least to me... But this is a story for another thread I suppose...
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Oh dear

"Tom Stucker, please report back to security at terminal XX"

I hope you got back what you forgot! And I hope UA sent a GS agent instead!
Old May 21, 2023, 8:32 pm

A CNBC podcast episode released today includes an interview with Tom, in which Tom says that he actually bought a lifetime pass with United back in 1990 for $500k and has been using it ever since (this was in response to a question about when was the last time he paid for a flight - over 30 years ago!). It's the first time I've heard of Tom revealing he owns a lifetime pass, and he certainly has received great value from it!

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/21/now-...ne-status.html
ContinentalFan, lsquare and wrp96 like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK
A CNBC podcast episode released today includes an interview with Tom, in which Tom says that he actually bought a lifetime pass with United back in 1990 for $500k and has been using it ever since (this was in response to a question about when was the last time he paid for a flight - over 30 years ago!). It's the first time I've heard of Tom revealing he owns a lifetime pass, and he certainly has received great value from it!

It's not just a lifetime pass -- it's a lifetime first class pass.... When UA discontinued GF -- he lost a lot of value!
Old May 21, 2023, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by CX HK

I believe this was already known for a while now. Maybe a decade?
Old May 21, 2023, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I believe this was already known for a while now. Maybe a decade?
Oh whoops. My bad. I've read a few blog posts on popular frequent flyer blogs and they speculated he may have had such a pass, but it was never confirmed. I didn't know it was known for a decade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.