Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas suggestions in England

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, A3 Miles and Bonus Gold
Christmas suggestions in England

Not directly BA related, but many FT members on this forum will be able to provide some suggestions (I hope).

We're looking to spend a quiet Christmas away from our family, and the dire non-existent Christmas spirit of Amsterdam, with just the two of us (myself and Mr FOHA). Just looking for a small village with a nice B&B or cottage for hire (nothing too basic), where we could likely attend a Carol service and midnight mass on Christmas Eve in the local church, have a quite dinner somewhere nearby on Christmas Day, and then do some exploring on Boxing Day. Whilst we absolutely love the presence of the little ones, and my god daughter can attest to that, we'd rather not be around them for this time, so somewhere a less family oriented would be preferred. We're in our late 20's/30, and realise that we may end up the youngest couple in the restaurant, but that does not bother us. I realise that Christmas dinner may be an issue, but i've noticed numerous country inns on the internet which do a Christmas dinner (however they're all meant for families, with clowns, Father Christmas, etc).

Am I being too picky with my request? My internet searches have not really brought up anything to our liking, hence my posting. If all else fails, we'll probably just end up in Paris or somewhere sunny (Morocco or Canary Islands), but that won't give us the cosy, romantic atmosphere we are hoping for.

Sorry if something similar has been brought up, but I've used the search function and could not find any such thread.

I realise i went on a bit - for those who got this far in the message, thank you for your patience .

FOHA
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
You should consider Wales, Scotland and Ireland
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Blue & Silver again!! Monarch Vantage GOLD!!!! HiltonHonors Gold
Cotswolds can be nice in a quaint English sort of way Some nice Villages but if you want Christmas Dinner I would look at booking that very quickly as if they are any good they will book up very early in the year.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We'll give this the customary run here before moving to UK & Ireland for further input.

Swanhunter
Moderator, BAEC
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Full of Hot Air, can we just clarify - do you mean 'England' as in the UK (in which case you need to realise the terms are not usually synonymous) or are you really just restricting your request to England?

I've got a really nice place in the west of Scotland, but obviously, if you are only interested in England, then there's no point passing on the details!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:08 am
uk1
Suspended

For a really festive and unique Christmassy atmosphere I suggest Bucklers Hard. You could stay either at Whitley Ridge and have one of the best value Michelin star quality meals at a bargain price and great surroundings in the middle of the New Forest (and hope for some snow .....) or stay at Bucklers Hard itself at The Master Builders. The advantage of the Master Builders is that it has no traffic and an open log fire in it's great bar. And you get the atmosphere of Bucklers Hard when the last visitor has left. You could then go to Beaulieu which is the next village for both the Christmas service and A Victorian Christmas at Beaulieu and have a good look round Beaulieu itself.

I believe there are direct flights from AMS to SOU and you could hire a car for your stay. Miss Heathrow completely, direct from AMS to The New Forest. What could be better?

That'd be my suggestion.

Last edited by uk1; Sep 14, 2009 at 4:15 am
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.5.0.124 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/150)

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Full of Hot Air, can we just clarify - do you mean 'England' as in the UK (in which case you need to realise the terms are not usually synonymous) or are you really just restricting your request to England?

I've got a really nice place in the west of Scotland, but obviously, if you are only interested in England, then there's no point passing on the details!
I originally wrote this in a bit of a rush... Of course I'd consider Scotland and Wales. Although the idea of flying Club to LHR and then driving from there is attractive, but I realise we'll prob have to slum it with KLM
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
AMS -> LHR -> GLA is available with BA but the domestic route has no premium cabin, luckily its only a little under an hour.

There are plenty of places just outside Glasgow, I can recommend the Turnberry resort down by Ayr. It has a great spa and rooms that overlook the golf course and sea, though restaurant wise there is a little fish place just up the road or you eat in the hotel. There have small cottages though the hotel is great.

If you fancy the east coast then Fairmont St Andrews, we spent Christmas with family there last year because no one wanted to host it. There were a fair amount of children running around but luckily they couldn't get into a few of the bars there.

Alternatively there are plenty of small cottages in and about Glasgow and Edinburgh, you'd never be too far from the cities to go do something on Boxing day.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Double post

Last edited by Full of hot air; Sep 14, 2009 at 11:58 pm Reason: Double post
Old Sep 14, 2009, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uk1
For a really festive and unique Christmassy atmosphere I suggest Bucklers Hard. You could stay either at Whitley Ridge and have one of the best value Michelin star quality meals at a bargain price and great surroundings in the middle of the New Forest (and hope for some snow .....) or stay at Bucklers Hard itself at The Master Builders. The advantage of the Master Builders is that it has no traffic and an open log fire in it's great bar. And you get the atmosphere of Bucklers Hard when the last visitor has left. You could then go to Beaulieu which is the next village for both the Christmas service and A Victorian Christmas at Beaulieu and have a good look round Beaulieu itself.

I believe there are direct flights from AMS to SOU and you could hire a car for your stay. Miss Heathrow completely, direct from AMS to The New Forest. What could be better?

That'd be my suggestion.

This is absolutely spot on uk1; just what we're looking for... Thank you so much! I've checked the Whitley Ridge, and unfortunately they're fully booked, but I've emailed the Master Builders and will hopefully hear from them soon.

Meanwhile, and further suggestions are welcome, just in case the Master Builders is fully booked.

FOHA
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:38 pm

www.fallowfields.com
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:27 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Full of hot air
This is absolutely spot on uk1; just what we're looking for... Thank you so much! I've checked the Whitley Ridge, and unfortunately they're fully booked, but I've emailed the Master Builders and will hopefully hear from them soon.

Meanwhile, and further suggestions are welcome, just in case the Master Builders is fully booked.

FOHA
Glad to have helped.

To be frank, I think it has everything going for it. Short hop to small unstressful airport both ways. And a magical place in winter. Short drives to either Salisbury and Winchester (for the Cathedrals!) etc.

If either of the two hotels are booked then another equally worthwhile one would be the Montagu Arms Hotel in Beaulieu itself. Has special Christmassy arrangements - and you can use the excellent facilities at the sister hotel the Careys Manor close by or PM me for more suggestions. My main base is a few miles away.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:13 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by uk1

I believe there are direct flights from AMS to SOU and you could hire a car for your stay.
Just remember that hire cars usually are all booked out over Christmas in much of the UK given the near complete shutdown of public transport for a few days.

Some years I've turned up to Christmas lunches in a Ford Transit van, with friends rolling around in the back, because it was all we could find to hire in the week prior.

James
Old Sep 15, 2009, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked our hire car last week, still decent availability.

We spent 5 days in the New Forest (near Fordingbridge) last new year. Very enjoyable - as uk1 says there is plenty to do and enjoy around there. Memories for me as my first job post University was in Bournemouth and spent a fair bit of time in the Forest.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 2:49 am

Programs: *A Gold; OW Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Hyatt GoldPassport Platinum; Accor Silver
http://www.handpickedhotels.co.uk/hotels/

Many of these are offering good deals on Christmas breaks. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.