Wiki Posts
Search

Connection at Heathrow, 2 separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Connection at Heathrow, 2 separate tickets

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some help regarding a connection time in London Heathrow, given that I've got two separate tickets.

First is Air Canada from YVR to LHR landing at 10:30am Terminal 3 on a Monday morning.
Second is a separate BMI ticket from LHR to GLA departing Terminal 1 at 1:05pm.

I've called both Air Canada and BMI regarding this. BMI says that if my luggage is checked through to Glasgow, 2 hours is enough time (I've got about 2 hours 35 minutes). I've spoken to two different Air Canada agents over the phone who both have said if I present my two e-tickets at check-in in Vancouver, they will check my bags through to my final destination. However, from what I've read online, this is not supposed to be the case.

Can someone please walk me through what steps I would take in both scenarios:
a) if my luggage IS checked through all the way, when I arrive at LHR what steps do I take?
b) if my luggage is NOT checked through, what steps would I take and is this enough time to do it in?

On an aside, I do hold a British passport so will this cut down on my time at immigration/passport control?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:36 am

If your luggage is checked through then you follow the signs to Flight Connections Centre, where you'll go through immigration and security checks and are transferred to your departure terminal

If your luggage isn't checked through then you go through normal immigration procedures, collect your luggage, pass through customs then change to your new terminal, which will be a 10 minute walk between terminals, then check-in and go through security.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:49 am
Original Poster

That being said, do you think 2 hours 35 minutes is enough time either way?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:51 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will check through and yes, it is enough time.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:27 pm

Are you sure they will check it through? According to another recent discussion on FT, Air Canada won't check baggage through, not even to *A partners, if you're on separate tickets. This is only what I've read, can't guarantee it's true.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

That is where my confusion was coming from - reading online that they will not check them through and then speaking to two representatives over the phone who both said yes they would.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Just as an update, I actually went into YVR airport today and asked one of Air Canada's check in agents about getting my luggage checked through to my final destination, given that it's two separate tickets.

She assured me that yes, this is fine as long as both e-tickets are presented at the time of check-in.

I'm going to be one unhappy camper if after two call centre reps and one check-in agent, the agent who checks me in next week decides it's not an option.

SO, bags checked through all the way...2 hours 35 minutes through FCC will be fine? Anyone disagree still?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by murdochk
SO, bags checked through all the way...2 hours 35 minutes through FCC will be fine? Anyone disagree still?
If your baggage is checked through you have enough time.

Never having transferred at LHR I don't know if FCC or landside transfer would be your better bet. As you are transferring to an internal flight you will have to clear Immigration and Security so an airside transfer isn't going to save you any time.

When you check in make sure that your baggage is tagged correctly. I've had baggage tagged incorrectly even when presenting both tickets/BP and asking for my baggage to be tagged to my final destination. Check-in staff can be a bit zombie-like at times...
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Well after all my research it looks like the change fee and fare difference for the earlier flight is going to be more than my original ticket.
(I was asking this question as I wanted to book onto the earlier fare, my actual flight reservation is leaving Heathrow at 3:15pm...i.e. PLENTY of time between landing at 10:30am.)

So then my question is, should I have my bag checked through or is it better to just collect them and re-check in, given that I have a 4 hour and 45 minute layover). I guess it might be less probable that they would lose my suitcase if I pick it up between each flight. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for everyone's input, it's been helpful!
Old Sep 5, 2009, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by murdochk
So then my question is, should I have my bag checked through or is it better to just collect them and re-check in, given that I have a 4 hour and 45 minute layover). I guess it might be less probable that they would lose my suitcase if I pick it up between each flight. Any thoughts on this?
Collecting and then re-checking in your bags will give you a better chance of beating the Heathrow missing baggage lottery - however, I have found out the hard way in the past that bmi will not accept bags for their flights at check in desks more than a couple of hours before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.