Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Arrival Procedure for International Exchange Student

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

LHR Arrival Procedure for International Exchange Student

What is the arrival procedure at London Heathrow for an exchange student from Canada? I will be arriving on a Tuesday at 1:35 PM in Terminal 1 via United Airlines.

How long should I expect to spend at immigration? I will be entering the UK as a student visitor using my Canadian passport without a visa.

Do I clear immigration before or after picking up my bags? Will I be able to run down to the Tube station to purchase an Oyster card before picking up my bags?

I am planning to take the Heathrow Connect to Paddington and then board Bus 27 to Camden Town. Does this seem reasonable with two checked and two carry-on bags? What are my chances of arriving by 5 PM?

Thank you for any advice!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
You clear immigration before you get your bags. You then collect your bags and clear customs. You cannot re-enter the sterile customs area, so you will need to collect your bags and then go buy your oyster.

It's a lot of bags to take on a bus! But you won't also be the first - it might get quite cramped if you are close to rush hour time... and given you are trying to get there by 5, it will be.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:22 am

You don't have to take clothes and food for six months.

Have you considered cutting down what you need or even shipping it?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
I worked in HE for over ten years and never once had a student or visiting researcher complain about immigration difficulties. Therefore, your time spent in immigration and customs will likely be the same as most other arriving passengers and depend on how busy it is at the time.

Given the amount of baggage you plan to bring, you might feel more comfortable (especially if this is your first visit here) paying a few extra pounds and using the dot2dot van service. Check with them first though as they may have a luggage policy. Also, ask your university about alternative transfers; they may be able to arrange a private car transfer that would not be prohibitevely expensive.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Two carry ons and two suitcases on a regular London bus from Paddington to Camden? You will never survive the trip on your own.

You need to make sure you have your school letter, evidence of sufficient funds, return ticket, etc with you on board your flight.

How long are you in London for? Just remember you will acquire more stuff when you are here so think about the luggage on the return trip.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
I second the recommendation about dot2dot. (www.dot2.com) it will run you about 20 for door to door service. If you do take the Heathrow Connect, remember you can't use an Oyster Card on that route, you have to purchase a separate ticket. Another option is to take the HC to Paddington, and take a black cab to Camden. It will run you about 10-12.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all your advice!

I will be in London for four months, and will probably leave with more than I came with. I will be living in Ifor Evans, a UCL hall. When should I expect to be out the airport if my arrival time is 1:35 PM?

I guess my two checked bags will be hard to fit onto a crowded bus? What are the times for rush hour in London?

The dot2dot service seems reasonable, especially if I book a roundtrip ticket. Are the prices the same as those on the website if I take the shuttle without an online reservation? If I make a reservation, am I guaranteed a seat at the specified time? What if the flight is delayed or immigration takes longer than expected?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by mrkenneth
Thank you for all your advice!

I will be in London for four months, and will probably leave with more than I came with. I will be living in Ifor Evans, a UCL hall. When should I expect to be out the airport if my arrival time is 1:35 PM?

I guess my two checked bags will be hard to fit onto a crowded bus? What are the times for rush hour in London?

The dot2dot service seems reasonable, especially if I book a roundtrip ticket. Are the prices the same as those on the website if I take the shuttle without an online reservation? If I make a reservation, am I guaranteed a seat at the specified time? What if the flight is delayed or immigration takes longer than expected?

Thanks again!
There is a thread here reviewing dot2dot which you may find useful. If prebooked and flight is on time you should depart airport soon after (probably in less time than it would take you to walk to connect). If you are delayed you will not lose your transfer, they will put you on the next suitable departure. Their desk at T3 is just about 20m from arrivals point on way to bus departures which is only about another 20m so it couldn't be easier.

I have frequently got from door of plane to subway in under 30 minutes on regular basis but I travel mostly handbaggage only, know the place well and use the UK/EU or fast-track channel. Lines for nonEU arrivals at immigration can be much slower so with checked baggage about 40-60mins from gate to arrivals hall is probably to be expected (Dot2dot will know this).

Every hour in London is rush hour, 7-9am and 4-7pm are just more rushed than most. I think you should heed the advice to avoid buses with so much baggage and opt for the more comfortable dot2dot option as it should be stress-free.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the information!

I guess I will book a dot2dot shuttle and save some stress on my first visit to London.

Are there any current promotions for dot2dot? Am I expected to tip the driver? (How about taxi drivers?)
Old Sep 6, 2009, 4:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
No, you don't tip the driver. Taxi drivers, you can round up, or tip up to 10% if they help with bags or go out of their way for you.

Generally speaking, don't expect to have to tip much at all in the UK.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Having done the whole study in the UK thing - alebit from Australia not Canada and I got my visa before hand because I'm paranoid....make sure you have
1. Letter of offer
1a. Letter of confirmation of acceptance
2. Evidence of sufficent funds or access to sufficent funds
3. Evidence of accomadation
4. Be perpared to be asked what you are studying, what you intend to do afterwards, what you are expecting...etc etc.
5. You might be asked to get a TB xray - they will send you to the health service which is off to the side...though coming from Canada I cant imagine they will bother.
6. DONT PANIC - its actually harmless, just kinda intimidating....however my view may be coloured by the fact I moved to London 10 days after 9/11.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.