Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Renting a car in the UK with a UK issued driver's licence.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renting a car in the UK with a UK issued driver's licence.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:36 am

Programs: BA, EK, Hilton H, Starwood, A-Club
I was told that the Photo ID part was to determine who you are, and the paper part determines what you've been up to ie points and fines.

Remember the Photo ID's are only valid for 10 years.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 5:48 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi all,

Originally Posted by Christopher
...As alanR says, though, the fact that Sixt's policy talks about "English customers" suggests that the policy has been put together carelessly and without due diligence: there is no "English" driving licence, and there is no reason to suppose that English customers would be treated any differently from Scottish or Welsh customers. (Northern Ireland does have a separate licensing authority.) One can only assume that they mean UK customers or, possibly, customers from England, Scotland or Wales (i.e. people with a licence issued by the DVLA).
To add to the wording question ... anyone residing in the UK for a longer period (1+ year) would have a UK-issued driver's license. This does not make them English (or Scottish or Welsh).

On the flip side, an Englishman living in New York (or anywhere in the world) would have a driver's license from NY state, but would still be an English customer.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.