Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Renting a car in the UK with a UK issued driver's licence.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

What is our collective experience on this? Is it standard practice amongst UK based car rental companies to require customers holding a UK issued driver's licence to present both the photo card and the paper part of the licence?

Sixt UK's badly worded T&C caused this non English customer with no endorsements on his licence considerable frustration yesterday...

Originally Posted by Sixt UK General Rental Information
The driver must have been in possession of a valid driving licence for at least 1 year.
The renter and the driver have to be in possession of a valid driving licence.
There are 2 important documents/cards you must bring when collecting the vehicle:
- A full driving licence (English customers: both parts) for all named drivers, with details of all endorsements.
- A credit or Sixt Express card. The credit card must be in the name of one of the drivers.
English customers who don''t hold a Sixt Express card should bring another form of identification (one of the following if paying by credit card, two if paying by debit card)
Passport or identity card, utility bill, another credit or debit card, building society book or statement, police warrant card or HM Forces ID card.
Please show a valid ID card or passport at time of pick up!
You agree that we may elect, at our discretion, to pass your reservation of a vehicle to another business with whom we have a referral arrangement in place. You agree that, if we do so, we act as agent for that other business. This means that when we pass your reservation over to that other business:
a)we will have no further obligation to you; and
b)you agreement for the rental of the vehicle will be with the other company and not with us.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:17 am

The UK driving licence is only valid when you have the photocard and the paper licence or if your licence is the old green one that didn't come with a photocard.

Though what can you expect when they say English customers: both parts which presumably means that if you aren't English (eg Scottish) then you don't have to produce both parts
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:27 am

The official blurb about the photo driving licence is quite clear that it is valid only with both parts: the photocard and the paper counterfoil. That said, I have never been asked by a car rental company in the UK (or anywhere else) to produce anything but the photocard part.

As alanR says, though, the fact that Sixt's policy talks about "English customers" suggests that the policy has been put together carelessly and without due diligence: there is no "English" driving licence, and there is no reason to suppose that English customers would be treated any differently from Scottish or Welsh customers. (Northern Ireland does have a separate licensing authority.) One can only assume that they mean UK customers or, possibly, customers from England, Scotland or Wales (i.e. people with a licence issued by the DVLA). To lump these people together as "English" in an official or quasi-official document is just crass. (OK, rant over...)
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by alanR
The UK driving licence is only valid when you have the photocard and the paper licence or if your licence is the old green one that didn't come with a photocard.
Between the green one and the photo licence came the pink one. Mine (issued in 1988) is pink.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience with car rental companies generally speaking is that I have never been asked for the paper part outside the UK but I have occasionally been asked to show it at some UK stations.

AFAIK, all car rental companies in the UK officially require it in their T&Cs even though they do not always enforce it in practice.

On the wording, yes careless. Sixt has German origins and, like many continental Europeans, tend to use the term England/English as a generic term where those more familiar with the British Isles would be more specific and accurate, distinguishing between UK, GB and England (among others) as appropriate.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:34 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I generally bring both parts of the licence and they are almost always checked. The one time that I forgot to bring it, the agent rang the DVLA right from her desk and checked to make sure my licence had no endorsements (this was National/Alamo IIRC).
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Using my corporate account, I am never required to show my driving licence, only ID to prove that I am the person who booked the car - but I presume that's because the company takes care of the insurance, so it's up to them to take account of any endorsements, and that I have a valid licence.

As a private individual, same mixed bag as the rest. I've done the 'phoning up DVLA' thing after my own car was written off in an accident and I didn't have my licence on me. I've also done the showing the photocard only - particularly outside the UK, but occasionally within it. And I've also done the other thing, of showing both - which is now why my paper bit resides next to the card in the purse.

Ok, IANAL and I have some inside information on the incident, so that I know Prospero was left out of pocket as a result of the hire car's refusal to rent him a car.

What is the termination clause of the contract? Does Sixt have the ability to cancel it at any time? Because they have refused to hire a car, cancelling the contract, citing the clause which specifies that only English customers need to bring the paper part of their licence. I'm wondering if a wee small claims court action in Scotland, citing breach of contract and suing for consequential losses would be worth a go? At the very least, writing to head office, asking for repayment of same might also be worth a go - if they want to use very sloppily worded T&Cs, then they have to live by what is in them...
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by ajax
I generally bring both parts of the licence and they are almost always checked. The one time that I forgot to bring it, the agent rang the DVLA right from her desk and checked to make sure my licence had no endorsements (this was National/Alamo IIRC).
I've always needed both parts of the licence when renting (except when the company rented one for me), and on the recent occasion when I forgot my licence I had the same experience as ajax - with National/Europcar. The number you would need to call is the DVLA's "Driver Check Service: 09061 393 837 (for hire car companies with driver's consent)".
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Thanks Jenbel, for filling in the blanks. That is about the gist of it. I fully acknowledge that had I been fully prepared I should have carried both parts of my licence but on the day I wasn't and I didn't. My grievance stems from having checked in online two days in advance and having received and read carefully the instructions printed in the check in confirmation email...

Originally Posted by Sixt online check-in confirmation
Upon arrival at your destination, your vehicle key will already be waiting for you. Please proceed directly to the Sixt desk and have your Online Check-in ticket, your method of payment, your voucher (if applicable}, one form of photo ID as well as the driving licences of all named drivers ready
Sixt (I was told) will usually get in touch with the DVLA when the paper part isn't presented for inspection but as I arrived on Sunday, they were unable to because of the Bank Holiday. So there I was, 332 miles from home and left to my own devices. I'll chalk this one as a learning experience.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I believe every time i've rented in the UK I've been asked for the paper part. It sits tucked away in the back of my wallet. Overseas, never had anyone show any interest at all, although Guernsey would be the one exception here.

Both parts constitute "the license" I guess...
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
I'm from the other side of the pond, so I read this thread with some curiosity. Am I correct to understand that in the UK a driver's license consists of two seperate parts? Are there regionally issued drivers licenses in the UK ? Over here we have 50 states, each of which issues their own style of drivers license. You take a written exam, do a driving test, and meet all other ID requirements. But all include a photo and since 911 they've all become laminate photo ids with all pertinent personal data as well as state licensing numbers. You simply pull out one card where ever you go.

Just trying to figure out the process and procedure in the UK.

Barry
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:57 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There is one driving licence for the whole of the UK, issued by the DVLA (driver and vehicle licensing authority) in Swansea. The newest licences are indeed in two parts: a photocard, which is a credit card sized ID, with photo, name, address, and entitlements (what classes of vehicle you're licensed for).

However, along with this, you get a paper document, which gives details of any endorsements you have - penalty points for speeding or other types of dangerous driving. Should you get any points, I assume this is sent off and you get it back with them typed over it.

For most purposes, the photocard is enough. However, when insurance is involved (e.g. for hiring a car), they want to see what endorsements you have - so the paper part is needed.

Note that it's not that long since photocards have been introduced - before, all you had was a paper licence, with no photo (which was great fun to explain when you rented abroad). Many still have this, as you're not obliged to renew it unless you change address, or it expires (on your 70th birthday, IIRC). I only got a photocard 2 years ago. There's no obligation to carry it with you while you drive in the UK, either - I never carry it with me, personally - my address is nobody else's business, unless I choose to make it so!
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
What stut says. ^

I still have my pink d/l and my wife still has the earlier green version. (We haven't changed address for ages.) No photos, of course.

Curiously, car rental agents have no problem recognising the details, some can even work out the coded d.o.b. I've done this all over the US and Canada. I guess they're briefed.

What's good enough for Avis isn't good enough for Barnes & Noble who asked for my d/l as ID and didn't understand it. We won't be bothering Barnes & Noble again.

The photocards follow a European pattern. Most European d/ls are already or soon will be in the same format. I'd say this makes European d/ls rather more standard than the various forms which still apply in the US.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
There is one driving licence for the whole of the UK, issued by the DVLA (driver and vehicle licensing authority) in Swansea.
Almost. Northern Ireland has its own licensing authority (DVA, formerly known as DVLNI).
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Thanks for the info stut & Roger. Sounds like the paper part is a vestage from the old bureaucracy, but that's how government works now-a-days.

In New Jersey, where I live, the DMV ( division of motor vehicles ) is responsible for all DLs and vehicle registrations & title documents as well as tracking driving points/violations. Sounds simple on the outside, but in practice the DMV and violations computers do not speak to each other and tracking whether or not one is legally insured remains a cloudy affair. I always enjoy seeing how well the state uses my tax dollars to (dis)organize things. Of course they have no problem raising the fees for all of these associated things. The only good thing that happens is that on the consumer side of things, the DMV was privatized with an end result that folks behind the counter actually smile and treat you like a valued customer. Now if only our politicians could learn this.

Barry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.