Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Connecting in STN / Stansted Ryanair to Ryanair. Is 2 hours enough?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX LH AA AF

I have booked PUF to STN arriving 10:30 and then STN POZ departing at 12:30.

I thought that would be plenty of time until I read in the fine print that Ryanair is a point to point airline that does not transfer bags even for onward travel with Ryanair itself.

I'm assuming now that I will have to retrieve my bag and then recheck it in STD.

Would you normally consider two hours to be enough to handle this in STD?
Is there a special counter for this kind of rechecking within the baggage delivery area or would I have to leave the baggage area and hope to make it to the normal check-in area in time?

Thanks,

S
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Pardon the typo...

The title should read:

Connecting in STN Ryanair to Ryanair. Is 2 hours enough?
Old Apr 24, 2009, 5:12 pm

I would say your chances of making the connection with checked baggage are probably no more than 50:50.

There are no special counters for "transfer" passengers (in quotes, seeing Ryanair doesn't do transfers). You have to go through Immigration, collect your bag, queue up to check it again and go back in through security. If your inbound flight is on time and if there are no delays at the carousel you can probably make it, but there is absolutely no leeway in the connection you have booked.

Ryanair's on-time record is generally pretty good, but you will often have a long wait for baggage.

Good luck!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 4:10 am

You don't have 2 hours - you have 1h20m as that's when check-in / bag drop (depending on date of flight) closes and if you aren't checked in in time you don't fly

If you can check-in online and have ONE piece of hand luggage only then it's enough time
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Geez! I read STD and was pretty sure it meant Stanstead and when I was about to reply, I realized "STN" was Stanstead so I erased everything.

Then looked down, I read the OP meant to put in "STN" not "STD."

Now I am typing it all over again! THANKS ALOT!

Anyways, STN has ridiculously long lines at times. Check-in was about 30 minutes and immigration was another 30 minutes. Yep, I'd place it at 50:50.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:52 pm

I would suggest you add more time! From the Ryanair terminal to the immigration control point is a good 10 mins walking if there's no crush of incoming passengers and queues at the control point. Waiting in line time is variable depending on the number of officers working the passport checks, and then you may have to wait for your luggage - another variable of how things are going on the day. Out through Customs and then the width of the terminal to walk before checking in (often the queues are long too) and queues to go through outgoing security, plus at least 15 mins walk to the terminal again ... especially if they don't change your gate when you get there! DEFINITELY leave more time - I'd suggest 3 hrs min connecting interval but then I always was a slow runner and a pessimist to boot!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Wiggums
Geez! I read STD and was pretty sure it meant Stanstead and when I was about to reply, I realized "STN" was Stanstead so I erased everything.
Originally Posted by Airport code lookup
STD = Santo Domingo, VE
Didn't think Ryanair flies to Venezuela

EmailKid
Old Apr 25, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Second rule of pedantry, be correct in your corrections.

Stansted, not Stanstead
Old Apr 25, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AGR
Originally Posted by Alsacienne
DEFINITELY leave more time - I'd suggest 3 hrs min connecting interval but then I always was a slow runner and a pessimist to boot!
The OP has apparently already booked the flights, so leaving more time is no longer an option. The only suggestion I can make at this stage is to try if at all possible not to check any bags (note that Ryanair's hand luggage policies are inconsistently enforced, though enforcement has increased lately). It could then be possible to check in online, and so two major delays would be eliminated from the connection.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 1:38 am

As I said earlier, I would estimate the OP's chances of making it at about 50:50. Of course if he misses it, and has to buy a seat on an alternative flight, then that last-minute booking is likely to work out quite expensive.

I think the OP should consider buying a ticket for a later flight now when he may still be able to get a cheap deal. That way he has an alternative if he misses his connection.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 2:38 am
Original Poster

ADDITIONAL QUESTION:

Are there dedicated check-in counters for each flight at STN so I would at least have the hope of being the last in a line which they have to process before they close the counter and the flight?

Thanks,

S OP of the this thread
Old Apr 27, 2009, 1:06 pm

Unless things have changed - No
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:45 am

Fr to Fr in STN ( Ryanair to Ryanair )

Hi
Arriving from ORK and going on to ANG 40 minutes later .I do not plan to bring any baggage just myself I have a european passport and will have used web-check in . Does anybody think it is possiable to make the connection at this airport . Will I have to go through passport control ,security again etc or is there any easy way to connect here Thanks in advance. I am a gambler by nature what are the odds
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:51 am

The one thing in your favor is that Ryanair flights tend to arrive early. But if there's a delay, then you will be out of luck, of course.

I am not sure about this, so I am asking. Is there any immigration control when arriving from Cork to Stansted?

Also, when you arrive at Stansted, will be you be placed in such a way that you don't have to go through security again to get to the other flight? Again, I don't remember from my Stansted experiences.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:04 am

40 minutes? No way!!

NO WAY - even if the flight is on time.

True, there is no Immigration for flights from Ireland... but neither are there airside transfers, so it'll be a long walk to get landside, then a long wait at Security, and then another long walk to get to the gate.

This absolutely can't be done.

PS - where are my manners? Welcome to Flyertalk Jerry2623!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.