Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’d pick Fulham as it’s a bit more atmospheric. QPR is authentic but a big grungy (though perfectly safe).
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
For the date being requested it’s a bit moot, because the chance of getting a ticket for a Brighton-Palace game without being a member of either Club is, I’d have thought, fairly remote.
True, but seeing how this thread has been going on for a decade it may as well be mentioned for anyone looking in the future
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I’d pick Fulham as it’s a bit more atmospheric. QPR is authentic but a big grungy (though perfectly safe).
Fulham supporter here, so a bit biased, but I would recommend going to the Fulham match. The walk from the station through Bishops Park is nice (at least on the way to the match while it's still light out and there are hopes of victory...).

The Riverside stand (which, as the name would imply, abutted the river) has been torn down to make room for a much larger, modern stand that will open in 2021. As a result it's a bit of an odd setting right now, with just empty scaffolding on one side of the pitch instead of seating. But the Johnny Haynes stand is the oldest stand in the Football League (1905), a listed building, and still has a few thousand wooden seats.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Originally Posted by senor hamachi
Fulham supporter here, so a bit biased, but I would recommend going to the Fulham match. The walk from the station through Bishops Park is nice (at least on the way to the match while it's still light out and there are hopes of victory...).

The Riverside stand (which, as the name would imply, abutted the river) has been torn down to make room for a much larger, modern stand that will open in 2021. As a result it's a bit of an odd setting right now, with just empty scaffolding on one side of the pitch instead of seating. But the Johnny Haynes stand is the oldest stand in the Football League (1905), a listed building, and still has a few thousand wooden seats.
Thanks to you both, as well as everyone else taking the time to share info.

I think Fullham and Craven Cottage is the way to go, unless I run into trouble getting a ticket. Will keep QPR at the back up option.

Thanks again everyone !
KathinJax likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thanks to you both, as well as everyone else taking the time to share info.

I think Fullham and Craven Cottage is the way to go, unless I run into trouble getting a ticket. Will keep QPR at the back up option.

Thanks again everyone !
I think we’re all just secretly hoping that if we get you to enough ‘real’ clubs you’ll realise that’s a more enjoyable hobby than watching a big Premiership team!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
I think we’re all just secretly hoping that if we get you to enough ‘real’ clubs you’ll realise that’s a more enjoyable hobby than watching a big Premiership team!
Fair enough...LOL
I am really enjoying learning about it all, and seeing some Championship League fixtures are definitely getting me to parts of London that I would otherwise never see.

I do really appreciate everyone taking the time to share opinions and options. Cheers!
Scots_Al and Silver Fox like this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by senor hamachi

Thanks again for your advice. Just returned from the trip and had a great time with a Fulham win. And got to experience all 4 seasons of weather during a single match...including a brief period of sleet / freezing rain.

I sat in row 2 midfield in the Johnny Haynes stand. Didn't sit in the wooden seats, but saw them when heading down to my row. Awesome old-school grounds. Be interesting to see how the new stand compares to the original. And the walk thru Bishop's park was fun as well.

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Not going to give up my Spurs...though came away disappointed with a 3-2 loss after being ahead 2-1 at halftime. This season has been a mess.

But what a magnificent new stadium ! I sat in the middle of the South Stand, and the experience was stellar. Well thought out facility in every regard.
Pretty sure I will be back in April for the Everton match, assuming they don't have to change the schedule. This uncertainty is tough on travelling fans. LOL

Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:40 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
This is probably the best place to record, particularly for those from Europe that are perhaps more likely to still be visiting the UK, that all professional football (including the Football League) has been suspended until at least 3rd April due to COVID-19. Leagues at National League level - the highest non-league standard, but almost exclusively still full-time - are considering their position and may well follow suit.

Women's Super League and Championship divisions (Tier 1 & 2 of the women's game) have also been suspended, as have all FA Cup fixtures (currently at quarter-final stage).

There is pretty much an acceptance that this is only the beginning of the suspension, and it is likely to be several weeks beyond that until normal service resumes.

For anyone that's already bought a ticket, I would assume refunds will be readily available from Clubs. For anyone planning to attend games in April, be aware of the high likelihood these will not take place.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I'm gutted for Liverpool
Silver Fox and vanaema78 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
This is probably the best place to record, particularly for those from Europe that are perhaps more likely to still be visiting the UK, that all professional football (including the Football League) has been suspended until at least 3rd April due to COVID-19. Leagues at National League level - the highest non-league standard, but almost exclusively still full-time - are considering their position and may well follow suit.

Women's Super League and Championship divisions (Tier 1 & 2 of the women's game) have also been suspended, as have all FA Cup fixtures (currently at quarter-final stage).

There is pretty much an acceptance that this is only the beginning of the suspension, and it is likely to be several weeks beyond that until normal service resumes.

For anyone that's already bought a ticket, I would assume refunds will be readily available from Clubs. For anyone planning to attend games in April, be aware of the high likelihood these will not take place.
Thanks for the post. Glad I didn't already purchase a ticket for April 11th match. Am scheduled to travel through LHR on my way to BKK that weekend, but obviously that is all doubtful now.

Going to be interesting how they deal with this season. Heard many different options, but I think just nulling this season is the best one. Don't relegate anyone, and bring up top 2 CL teams to have a 22 club "super" season next year.
God knows all the staff at all the clubs could use the extra revenue from the expanded schedule, and we will all have a pent up demand to watch matches.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'm gutted for Liverpool
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:24 am

Thanks for the post. Glad I didn't already purchase a ticket for April 11th match. Am scheduled to travel through LHR on my way to BKK that weekend, but obviously that is all doubtful now.

Going to be interesting how they deal with this season. Heard many different options, but I think just nulling this season is the best one. Don't relegate anyone, and bring up top 2 CL teams to have a 22 club "super" season next year.
God knows all the staff at all the clubs could use the extra revenue from the expanded schedule, and we will all have a pent up demand to watch matches.
That would be a quick way to create the lawsuit to end all lawsuits
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jt82
That would be a quick way to create the lawsuit to end all lawsuits
Probably. But I don't think any solution is going to be free of major lawsuits. Trying to extend the season gets into player contacts ending this summer. As well as conflicts with other leagues and National teams. And impending World Cup.

Going to be interesting...
Old May 15, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
While it would be churlish to say that something is impossible these days, I struggle to see that happening. As a season ticket holder at Anfield I hope it not. Equally I do not believe you can simply give Liverpool the tittle, it isnt mathematically beyond doubt, much in the same way relegation for Manchester United is not mathematically beyond doubt.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MickV
While it would be churlish to say that something is impossible these days, I struggle to see that happening. As a season ticket holder at Anfield I hope it not. Equally I do not believe you can simply give Liverpool the tittle, it isnt mathematically beyond doubt, much in the same way relegation for Manchester United is not mathematically beyond doubt.
No easy answers, and I doubt any solution that will make everyone happy is in the works. I still lean toward the null and void season as the best option, but let's see what happens.

Bundesliga starting up today, which has me in a good mood. Not the PL, but at least some live football in store today. Hopefully everyone stays safe and they can carry on.

Cheers.
Old May 17, 2020, 8:19 am
Suspended

Null and void
goodeats21 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.